Backdrop at Mason Park Bridge
Gary has made absolutely stunning progress from when he first started with the underpass between the two banks to the point where he is now.

I think it's damn impressive!

But then, it's all a matter of using your eyes to "see." If you have the ability to build a "better than average" model, that's an indication (to me) that you have it in you to paint your own backdrop ...
... you just haven't worked at painting one yet!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Yeah sure the backdrop is great...but I just can't get over how COOL that bridge is! Big Grin

Don't forget you can airbrush or wash/drybrush grass, trees, etc. That's one step beyond 'novice' in my book, is adapting colors on the 3D objects to match the backdrop. In otherwords, using the same base colors (minus the blue or white wash haze) on the backdrop as the scenery up front. This is why I like to build my trees from scratch vs. buy out of the box, but even those can be modified.

Also, have you used the hole card trick to identify color yet? I can't remember if anyone mentioned it in one of the bazillion threads you've got started right now. If nobody has yet, it's this - just punch or cut a hole in a plain white 3x5 card and hold it over your snapshot to isolate the color from the surrounding colors. It'll pop right out and you can even mix a matching color right there on the card to do comparisons.

I did it with the 'white' line on the water's edge in your prototype photo and it's actually tan. Perhaps that may help clear up the mystery a bit.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Sumpter250 Wrote:or....darken from the shade of the tree to the right-behind, the RH tall tree in the center, left, to the shade of the 3D tree and I'd say only the front row of backdrop trees, and gradually higher up each tree as you get to the far left side.

Thanks for those suggestions, S-2-fiddy. The advent of digital photographs and photoshopping is a great aid to figuirng out and testing things like this. I agree with your assessment and modified picture and will give it a go, starting out with some very subtle stippling of darker colors.

I generally like lighter colors on the layout, and I will try to match the 3D scenery to the backdrop. That may not be the way it should be done, but my "intuition" in choosing the backdrop colors is what felt right to me. The 3D trees are really just "stand-ins" that were made about 4 years ago as detailed in the old Gauge which used the techniques that can be found in the "Academy" (and thanks go to docWayne for having rebuilt that thread here.)

There is also an awkard little ridge along the backdrop/layout junction that needs to be fixed. It makes the backdrop look like it is still on paper taped to the wall rather than blending into the top of the layout.
Paulman Wrote:I concur. Maybe up the contrast (color intensity, as well as darken shadows) on the left, and mist the far lake with a light blue: You might also mist the tops of the 3D trees with a lighter green as well, to ease the transition.

Thanks for the compliments and for the suggestions. Having you guys looking on is a needed set of eyes to help with corrections. I'll put the blue haze wash over the right hand side, and darken the trees on the left, and also spray light green over the 3D trees to highlight the tops and outer edges of the leaves.

Thumbsup
ocalicreek Wrote:Don't forget you can airbrush or wash/drybrush grass, trees, etc. That's one step beyond 'novice' in my book, is adapting colors on the 3D objects to match the backdrop. In otherwords, using the same base colors (minus the blue or white wash haze) on the backdrop as the scenery up front. This is why I like to build my trees from scratch vs. buy out of the box, but even those can be modified.

I put a wash over the grass on the left, that's how it came out to a close match of the backdrop grass. The technique you mention definitely works. Like in my reply to S-two -fitty, these trees were made several years ago and are really just stand-ins for now. The 3D scenery is nowhere near complete in either color or texture and is really just a "mock-up" to get the overall feel of what is going on.

ocalicreek Wrote:Also, have you used the hole card trick to identify color yet?

I haven't, but it could come in handy, thanks for letting me know about that. Really for this backdrop though, I'm not trying to match the colors to the real thing, as overall, the photo is too dark for my taste. And on that, I even "brightened" and added some contrast to the real photos in Microsoft Photodraw, and they were still darker than what I wanted. Perhaps this is where the "artist" takes over and the "duplicator" leaves off.

ocalicreek Wrote:in one of the bazillion threads you've got started right now.

Guilty as charged. Since I don't particpate in other forums or media outlets, I post all my railroad stuff here. :oops:

ocalicreek Wrote:I did it with the 'white' line on the water's edge in your prototype photo and it's actually tan. Perhaps that may help clear up the mystery a bit.

I had seen that it was somewhat tan, but I also saw that it really stood out and "grabbed ya". So, to make such a tiny line on the backdrop more apparent, I chose to do it in light antique white. As for the mystery line, it wasn't the tiny tan line that was referenced, it was the huge whitish green line that was my attempt at making the water get lighter and lighter to represent distance. The good folks of Big Blue thought it was supposed to be the bayou bank. Now, the great thing about that is, where my tunnelvision had me thinking that the scene was looking okay, it came to my attention that the light green water was not working. And that is the beauty of Big Blue!

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, they are appreciated. Thumbsup
P5se Camelback Wrote:Gary has made absolutely stunning progress from when he first started with the underpass between the two banks to the point where he is now. I think it's damn impressive! But then, it's all a matter of using your eyes to "see." If you have the ability to build a "better than average" model, that's an indication (to me) that you have it in you to paint your own backdrop... you just haven't worked at painting one yet!

Thanks biL. Even where it is right now, I wouldn't be ashamed to show it to visitors. With a few touch-ups as the good folks of Big Blue have suggested, I may even go as far as saying that my visitors might even be impressed! Smile

Appreciate your encouragement, as always, you've been a big help, and this backdrop experiment has been (and will continue to be) enlightening and rewarding.
"Impressed" you say..?? More like "blown away" I would think..!! That's some fantastic work overall..!!... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Thank you Gus. There are times when I think it is pretty good, but other times I see the parts that aren't so good.

Here is the latest iteration after spending a couple of hours tonight.

I also added some white to the "water" color and put it on the backdrop, then glossed it. Looks like it still needs to be lighter.
Gary S Wrote:I also added some white to the "water" color and put it on the backdrop, then glossed it. Looks like it still needs to be lighter.

I agree, Gary, but the rest looks great. I think I even spotted a happy little squirrel in one of those trees. Wink Goldth In addition to your display of talent, I'm also enjoying immensely the interplay between you and your core of "advisers": excellent work by all. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Thanks docWayne. This thread has been fun and educational for me, that's for sure!
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

It may be April first, but, in this case, I'm no fool. I will reference this thread as a primary source of information, and technique, for my next backdrop !! Worship
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I have bookmarked this thread as a reference on "how it should be done" for when the time comes for my own backdrop! Thumbsup

Really beautiful job, Gary! Worship

I can only hope to do as well! Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Yup...Just a tad lighter would help...But...
As I mentioned before, the break between layout and background draws the eye immediately to it. If you could work up the courage to bring some of the background "earth" across the break and into the layout portion it would not be as obvious since it would break the straightness of the joint. I'm not sure how that would be done, but you have a lot more "artistic" know-how than myself.... :oops:
Gus (LC&P).
s-two-fiddy and biL, thank you, and glad it will be of use. Now biL, I've got the feeling you don't really need this thread for doing your backdrop!

Gus, I mixed another batch of paint for the water, with more white in it. Painted it on, glossed it, and it is better, but darn it, it could still be even lighter! I don't really see how I could make the bank dip down to the layout junction though. Probably just have to live with the line. :x

I'll remove the fuschia frame and get a photo tomorrow.
By "fuschia frame", i presume you mean the scaffolding..?? 357

This is just one among the many "firsts" I've seen on your layout. Starting with "First Class".... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).