Platform Scale Color Choice
Hello All!

Spent a bit more swag on a few detail parts for the scene at Pinto. Yes, I know it's no where near the detailing stage at this point in construction, but Scale Structures was having a flat rate $2 shipping deal and they're the only folks I've found that produce one of these:

I ordered a pack of the smaller <1000lb scales, a pack of the larger >1000lb scales, and a set of passenger platform step stools (the kind the porter or conducter sets out when the train pulls up).

So what color do I paint the platform scales? I've seen B&W pictures, but no color ones. I'll do another google or bing search to see what I can find, but I'm open to suggestions here.

Once I decide on a color I'll use this thread to document the 'build' progress, but that may be a while in coming.

Thanks,

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen ...

As I recall, they were a dark green, similar to Floquil's RR40 Dark Green.

If anyone has a different memory, by all means give it! But I remember them being a darkish grren, pretty much the same green as the baggage wagons that used to sit on the platform, "wherever." The "parcel scale" usually sat against the depot wall, next to a freight door which opened to the platform, so the parcel could be weighed and put on the baggage wagon to wait for the next train, and be loaded onto the baggage car.

(My Granddad used to take me to watch the trains come through the East Stroudsburg station during my fourth summer, when I stayed with my grandparents for a week, while my Mom and Dad were at the Methodist Church's Annual Conference, at which Dad would find out if the Bishop had reassigned him to the same church for another year, or if we would be moving to a new church. But I do remember seeing the DL&W's "Phoebe Snow" in the morning with a steam locomotive on the point, and then come back through in the afternoon with a brand new, bright and shiney gray and maroon diesel up front.) Big Grin
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I did a search for "old platform scale" on BING images and found a few in different colors. Seems that they were usually darker colors but I did see a few reddish ones.

I did notice that most of the platforms have most if not all the paint rubbed off of them from all the use they would get.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Good memories, biL. Thanks for sharing! I do believe I'll lean towards green unless somebody else has any different info. (That's my environmental policy, too, btw.)

The SS Ltd castings look VERY sharp and clean. The 'kit' is two pieces - the platform & wheels, and the mast & weighing arm. I may try the military figure painting technique on these - prime the whole thing BLACK first, then dry brush the color until built up enough in order to leave the black in the shadows but not so much as to obscure the detail.

Galen
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:I did a search for "old platform scale" on BING images and found a few in different colors. Seems that they were usually darker colors but I did see a few reddish ones.

I did notice that most of the platforms have most if not all the paint rubbed off of them from all the use they would get.

Ah, Greg - you've hit on my rationale for the painting technique. A little gunmetal or graphite/silver dry brushed in places would probably go a long way towards the idea that these were everyday working machines that saw plenty of use.

I have yet to do a search but will do so later tonight.

Galen