turn out controls
I received a trial issue of of Model Railroader today (June 2011). In it I found an article By Tony koester called Trains of Thought. In it he writes about using A micro switch to set the polarity and hold the point rails in place. I was doing something very similar in a section of my layout where access to the underside of the layout restricts the use of the homemade switch machines that I was using. In other places on the pike I have used a switch machine inspired by Gary S. His idea uses a 3 way switch mounted on an aluminum angle bracket. It's a very good idea and works fine, but it does require access to the underside of the layout. In my case this section of the layout sits over an old dresser so there is almost zero space for a machine like it. Since the article dose not have a "how to" on how Mr. Koester put his together I will post my version, witch is very similar.

I used a double pole double through mini-slide switch from All Electronics. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.allelectronics.com/">http://www.allelectronics.com/</a><!-- m --> Item #ssw-45.    

I first bend and solder the tabs together turning it into a single pole double through switch. I don't know the amperage value of the switch so combining the "like " poles makes the switch a little more heave duty.     I have also drilled a small hole in the switch handle that will be used to attach it to the switch rod.

I pass a tinned wire that connects to the isolated frog through a 1/8 inch hole drilled next to the tie behind the switch rod tie.     There is also a corresponding hole drilled in the switch rod.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Two wires are soldered to the outside poles on the switch the black wire (common) from the frog is soldered to the center position of the switch.    

The switch is then painted Tie brown with a Floquil paint marker. A dab of CA. is put on the end of the switch and it is glued to the tie behind the switch rod.    

A dab of white glue at full strength is placed at the back on the switch with a tooth pic in the seam where it meets the foam sub roadbed.    
The glue bond to the tie and foam base seam to be strong enough to hold the switch firmly in place. I have tested it by moving the switch handle several times with out it coming loose. While the glues set up I use a VOM meter to set the polarity of the two white wires and splice them to the correct feeders. The next step is to make a staple out of stiff music wire that will connect the slide switch to the switch rod.     This is placed into the two holes that I drilled and secured with some more CA.

When that's all dry I grab the paint marker and hit the music wire with a little color.    

Although I have not gotten that far yet. The slide switches will be hidden with a switch stand, dwarf signal, switch motor, or some other detail after some basic scenery and ballast are in place. To set the points on the turnout you just need a small dowel or a screw driver to push the switch handle into the proper position.