DS64
I am planning to replace the unique ROCO trunouts with integrated switch machine and DCC decoder with Atlas turnout, Tortoise switch machine and DS64 decoder.

For very first testing the DS64 is connected to the track and the switch machine. the ID led is on, the mode (OpSw 1) can be set but all outputs are "dead". The machine does not move and no power is applied at all (you see the tortoise in center position). A meter reads also 0V under all circumstances. I got three DS64 and it is all the same. The DCC turnout address should be 1.
The DCC turnout addresses 1 -8 are in use by the ROCO turnouts and they switch fine. I assume the DS64 should work in parallel.

What is my DS64 new comer mistake? I must have misunderstood something very fundamental.

[Image: Img_0754.jpg?t=1308133437]
Reinhard
Case closed. I did not program OpSw 1 correctly. It works great now and I can think all the next weeks on the highway if and how I do rebuild the north yard with Atlas turnouts.

The mod might erase the entire thread. It provides no useful information to anyone.
Reinhard
How mant turnouts can you operate from one of those units? Just curious?
Not yet..!!

Why use Atlas turnouts with their switch machines (awful looking.... Confusedhock: ) when you have Tortoises..??
Tip....Try to use a separate power supply for the DS64's and not rely on track power. IMHO, track power is for running trains.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Not yet..!!

Why use Atlas turnouts with their switch machines (awful looking.... Confusedhock: ) when you have Tortoises..??
Tip....Try to use a separate power supply for the DS64's and not rely on track power. IMHO, track power is for running trains.... Goldth
I am going to use Tortoise switch machines with Atlas HO #6 turnouts. It is a fairly remote yard that is connected via a long DCC booster signal cable (2 wire) only. The remote located booster will easily handle 2 engines and up to 6 Tortoise switch machines. I have limited access under that part of the layout. Extreme easy wiring is essential.
The same setup is currently in operation with unique ROCO #5 turnouts with integrated switch machines and DCC decoders powered by the rails only. I am preparing a possible rework of the north yard some time later with standard components.

tetters Wrote:How mant turnouts can you operate from one of those units? Just curious?
Each unit operates up to four switch machines
Reinhard
Although you can double up, for crossovers and so forth, so really you can run 8. Aux power definitely recommended. If your DCC was Digitrax, I'd recommend not even connectign to the track, as the DS64 will receive commands through the Loconet. If track signal is required, it is advisable to get a small accessory booster (Tam Valley sells a nice one) to power the stationary decoders instead of using the runnign track power. If you have a short on the track, you will have no power to operate any turnouts.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com