Bashing An Inexpensive Plastic Structure Kit
I used to do these “Kitbasher’s Diary” threads a long time ago at the old Gauge, & this was one of them… I’m sure some of you have seen these before, but I thought since this is a fairly new site, I’d re-post this one…It probably won’t be of much interest to the “old hands”, but I thought some newcomers to the hobby might get an idea or two from it…

This will hopefully demonstrate how you can take an inexpensive plastic structure kit, & by moving things around, taking some things away, & adding others, you can transform it into something that is unique to your layout…
I’m also hoping to demonstrate how mistakes & flaws can lead you on to even better ideas…

This was an N scale project, but it could be any scale…

Here’s the kit I started with…(keep in mind that the manufacturer’s description of the kit means nothing to the kitbasher…we look at them as simply a collection of parts)

[Image: chapel1.jpeg]

Built per instructions, they’re a bit toy-like…hopefully, we’ll be able to improve on that a little…
The first thing I did was to discard the molded plastic base…this frees you up as to the “footprint” of the structure…
I glued the walls together, & the little annex that’s supposed to go on the rear of the main structure, I attached to the side, keeping the tops of the walls even…

[Image: chapel2.jpeg]

I needed some kind of foundation for the annex now, so I cut some pieces from some HO scale brick walls…I also cut a hole for a door in the main section, rather than using the large arched door assembly that came with the kit…I primed everything with gray primer…

[Image: chapel3.jpeg]

The back wall of the main structure was basically a blank…it was just calling for something, so I fashioned a lean-to addition from pieces of an old Model Power farmhouse kit…Made another little foundation from the HO brick walls…

[Image: chapel4.jpeg]

I painted everything, & glued in the windows…If you look back at the 2nd & 3rd photos, you’ll see a large gap where the annex joins the main structure…I hid this with a chimney I made from styrene covered with Holgate & Reynolds brick sheet…

[Image: chapel5.jpeg]
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Now I needed to make a roof…I started by cutting pieces of thin cardboard as templates…

[Image: chapel6.jpeg]

When I got the templates to my satisfaction, I used them to cut roof pieces from styrene V-groove siding…I painted this silver to look like a tin roof…I also started adding a wooden front porch, & some figures…

[Image: chapel7.jpeg]

I finished the front porch & also added some wooden steps to the rear of the house…

[Image: chapel9.jpeg]

[Image: chapel10.jpeg]
-Drew-
I don't remember it, Drew, but I like it!
I like it and the ideas you showed.
I don't know if this is what you intended, but to me it looks like a typical farmhouse where the additions were added to the main structure later on as needed.
Really cool Thumbsup

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Nice job taking an inexpensive kit and building it to something with some character.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Great work Cheers
Nice! I especially like the rustic porch and stairs!
Ralph
Really nice work there Smile
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Nice!
I always look at the cheap kits as "Something other than whats on the box"
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Nice work, that is an amazing transition from the original to your structure, I would never guess that was originally a life like structure!

- Dan
Cheers you did a fantastic job on the transformation of that junky Life Like kit!! You did a great job on the scenery around it too Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
He did a fantastic job on that bash. You should see it in person! I am now the proud owner of that as Drew passed down most of his beautiful work when he changed scale. He is a wonderful modeler and a great friend.

Here is a picture of it on my layout in the Bay Area section of the WC & T. Notice the pig on the porch! Goldth
Now the lighthouse keepers house

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
Worship Worship Worship
Waveof7
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Awesome job. Please share more. Makes me want to spruce up a kitbash I did a while back and share....hmmm....

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks for all the nice words folks!

Jim & Tyson have provided good homes for quite a few of my old N scale "orphans"!
-Drew-