Planning new FWWR layout
Just a heads up, Athearn just realeased FWWR 2011 & 2012 (both GP50) I saw them yesterday at the train store in Addison
Got a call a week ago that mine had arrived. Just need to get down there to pick them up. I hope Athearn fixed them as i let them know the graphics were wrong for this set of units. The FWWR updated there logo couple of years ago and all the new units have this new logo now.
Wayne Snyder
Creating the Ft Worth Sub - FWWR
Update. Was not able to spend as much time working on layout as planned, but got some things completed. Last few peices of backdrop installed just but need to fill seams and paint. All basic benchwork framing finished need to cover with foam on last two peninsulas, ran out of foam. Ceiling tiles completed around the walls and started on peninsulas, ran out of tiles also. Starting to lay out track for scenery profiles. Started printing out photos of the yard to work on this area first. Want to get the feel of this area, besides ther first thing you see as you walk into room. Not a lot changes to see for photos hopfully things will start to change and can show some updates.
Wayne Snyder
Weekend Update.

All basic benchwork completed and foam base finished. Also lights are being installed. Photos of weekend progress:

[Image: 100_0654-1.jpg]

[Image: 100_0651.jpg]

[Image: 100_0652.jpg]

[Image: 100_0653-1.jpg]

Now for the trackplan to be layed out and the basic landscape sculpting to begin. Also need to complete upper valence 2285_ .
Wayne Snyder
That weekend was a very good weekend 2285_
Reinhard
Spent the last couple of nights getting the roadbed in for the yard. Its a start:

[Image: DSCN0065.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0066.jpg]

Working on the second penisula that contains Bunge Oils and have a question for anybody. Will be installing a tank car loading platform from Walthers. Does anybody know the track spacing for this? Dont currently have the kit in my hands, think that 3-1/2 inch should be OK but starting to plan track arrangement and it would help to know for sure. Here is the building that im trying to do:

[Image: DSCN9869.jpg]
Wayne Snyder
Wayne, nice Layout

Construction diligently. Thumbsup

:hey: Go Wayne !!! Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Weekend update.

Got trackplan laid out and seemed to work pretty well, a few adjustments but came out as planned 2285_ . Here are some photos around the room.

[Image: DSCN0117.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0118.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0119.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0120.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0121.jpg]

Bought a second box of cork thinking I had enough and ran out. Still need about 4 to 5 piecses to finish all roadbed and then trackwork can begin.
Wayne Snyder
super Wayne !!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Finished laying cork and started laying track.

Most of the yard is completed and switchs are installed:

[Image: DSCN0428.jpg]

The paninsula for RTP is started. Basic ground work is started and track is layed and structure was created out of foam core to see how everything will go together:

[Image: DSCN0427r.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0426r.jpg]
Here is the proto:

[Image: DSCN0110.jpg]
[Image: DSCN8710-1.jpg]
Wayne Snyder
Guys,

Been slow working on the layout but have a free pass this weekend so work continues. Looking to add backdrops to paninsulas. Not liking what is see:

[Image: DSCN0427r.jpg]

Any ideas? Yes, No. Was thinking about adding a backdrop behind structures.

Been working on laying track and dropping feeders have about 50% of it laid. Maybe by end of weekend might have a train to run 2285_
Wayne Snyder
I'm not sure that a back drop would work on those peninsulas. They are a bit too narrow. Typically a peninsula would have a 2 sided back drop down the center, but your peninsulas are really too narrow to do that with. I'm thinking that they should have scenery all the way across and any buildings would have all sides modeled.
Wayne,got any progress pics?I hope you can give us something.I need more inspiration...Thanks Big Grin
Don Shriner
I'm with Russ on this one. Backdrops in that situation won't make the situation improve. Any operator working that end of the layout won't be working on that area from that side anyway. Just weather the facility like you normally would. Less is sometimes more. I think your trackplan is really nice. Looking forward to seeing all that empty acreage start to fill up with structures.

Mark
fwwrmodeler Wrote:Will be installing a tank car loading platform from Walthers. Does anybody know the track spacing for this? Dont currently have the kit in my hands, think that 3-1/2 inch should be OK but starting to plan track arrangement and it would help to know for sure.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but this link should answer your question: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3104. I have one of these kits that I have not assembled, but doing some quick measurements, it appears to be as described as far as length and width. I need to order a second one of these as it's too short my planned facility which will be very similar to yours, but with on a single track on one side of the platform, so I really need to splice two of them together.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"