First Ops Session on the AT&G
AC87 (Aaron) and his brother (Nathan) stopped by yesterday for the first ops session on the layout. Great fun was had by all.

They ran a local turn from the SF Interchange yard to the SP interchange, and then back to the SF interchange. Picked up and spotted a bunch of cars at the various industries, took about an hour and a half to complete the work.

Earlier in the week, I had set up the session. We used a modified switchlist for the various movements to be made. It was all intuitive and worked well.

Some pics:

At the Santa Fe Interchange yard

In the area known as Almeda... and the GERN complex

Crossing the Mason Park bridge

Doing a run around at the Santa Fe Yard

Crossing the South Wayside bridge

Almeda:

Picking up a couple gons at Houston Pipe and Wire:

At the Southern Pacific Interchange

Discussing how to accomplish the work:

Here's an example of the switchlists I created. I added simple instructions to make it easy to see what needs to be done. It seemed to be fairly simple, and didn't require shuffling a bunch of carcards and waybills.

I used simple letter designations for car type, but may switch to the normal railroad designations at some point.

What is left to be said?
Thumbsup Thumbsup
Waveof7
Charlie
P.S.
Thumbsup Thumbsup
Waveof7
Question for the railroaders....

Spot, Set out, Drop... all mean the same thing.... which term is most likely to be used?

Same for Pick-up versus Pull....

Any other terms I need to be thinking about?
Gary S Wrote:Question for the railroaders....

Spot, Set out, Drop... all mean the same thing.... which term is most likely to be used?

Another one for pick-up is "lift" or "make a lift". Charlie can probably tell you lots more.

Wayne
Charlie B Wrote:What is left to be said?
Thumbsup Thumbsup
Waveof7
Charlie
P.S.
Thumbsup Thumbsup
Waveof7

Cheers

That's , well, it's --- Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

We had a real special name, we "delivered" cars, and then we "picked them up." The term "spot", to me, indicates placing a car in a certain position, such as a loading door or pit opening.
I'm certain whatever term you use has been and will be used on a prototype. Wasn't one of UP's slogans "We Deliver"?
Charlie

If you want to get down with railroad speak here's the terms we used and in no order.

1. switchout

2.setouts

3. pickups

4.spot

5."center the empties"

6.tie 'em in center.

7.unlock and line the switch.

8.open the derail.

9.close and lock the derail.

10 .line and lock the switch.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Excellent Gary! Thanks for showing pics of the layout at work. I always like seeing examples of switch lists and how people use them. Your photos with the two lucky guys show how high your benchwork is and how effective it must be to view from that angle. NICE! NICE!! NICE!!!!!!!
Ralph
Hi Gary---by the looks on their faces,it looks like your guests were enjoying themselves.I really like the height of your layout which gives a bird-eye view of your great layout. Thumbsup
congrats Gary Thumbsup , looks like you guys had a good time..
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Those are some great "over-all" pics of your layout...It's FANTASTIC..!!
And those guys look like they're having a good time...

I'm not too sure about the layout height...Decades of looking down at 'em is hard to change... Nope

How are you planning to finish off the foam edges..??

That switch list...Did you design it or is it commercially available ?? I like it..!!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Gary,

Have to agree with the others, what is left to be said. Your layout, modeling and attention to the details are outstanding and from the pics posted around the layout looks like you will be busy for some time. Well maybe not, with the speed that your able to get things accomplished Worship .

Bruce
Thanks to everyone for all the compliments.

Charlie, Brakie, docWayne, thanks for the thoughts on terminology.

S-2-fiddy, thank you.

Ralph, the young man without glasses is Aaron, a.k.a. AC87 here at Big Blue. Both him and his brother are college students, and very enthusiastic about the hobby. I became acquainted with Aaron when he posted in the "BNSF Team Track" thread. They live about 1/2 hour away from me.

Mister Nutbar: Aaron and Nathan are of average height, I'm guessing around 5'-9". I asked how they liked the layout height, and they said it gives a nice realistic view of the trains. With me being 6'-4", I get a little more of a view from above.

E-Paw: We did have fun. I admit it was gratifying to see someone besides myself enjoying the layout. Was also nice to see the operational aspects coming together.

Gus, a few weeks ago, I bought 6 sheets of Masonite for the fascia. Will cut them into 11" wide strips - don't know how soon though, as there is so much that needs to be done! The switchlist was put together in Microsoft Word, making use of the "TABLE" functions. Interesting comments on layout height.... I think you are right, someone who has been in the hobby a long time has probably grown used to a lower layout. With the trend toward higher layouts, someone relatively new like me would go that direction.

Thanks Bruce. At times, the massive amount of work that needs to be done seems overwhelming.