Poll: For you, is model railroading a solo or social activity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Solo Activity. I enjoy doing most of my modeling by myself. I find it a healthy way to calm my brain and spirit, relax, think, and decompress from everyday stress. Having too many other participants causes me to lose focus and sometimes prevents my full enjoyment of the hobby.
82.50%
33 82.50%
Social Activity. I enjoy modeling with others, inviting others over for operating sessions, and participating in clubs. Without the social contacts, I would have less interest in model railroading.
17.50%
7 17.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Model railroading - a solo or social activity?
shaygetz Wrote:Primarily social, both on the net and once a week at a local eatery with other modelers.

As far as clubs...solo...it's been 4 and a half years since THE MOMENT at the local club when two well heeled members expressed their opinion that I needed to get a real job so that I could buy real trains and not run "that toy junk on our layout". Yes...it still hurts that much...I thought I left that male bovine effluvium back in junior high school.

Wow. That's terrible! What a couple of jerks. :evil:
shaygetz Wrote:Primarily social, both on the net and once a week at a local eatery with other modelers.

As far as clubs...solo...it's been 4 and a half years since THE MOMENT at the local club when two well heeled members expressed their opinion that I needed to get a real job so that I could buy real trains and not run "that toy junk on our layout". Yes...it still hurts that much...I thought I left that male bovine effluvium back in junior high school.

Unfortunately that is one of the things that really give clubs a bad rep. To my knowledge, we haven't had that problem in the modular club I belong to even to the extent that we just quietly correct the wiring problems that seem to be constantly introduced on one member's modules. He is the only person I've met in model railroading that should not be allowed to touch any electric wire EVER.
After reading a few threads here the past few days, reflecting on life, and thinking, I realize I use this hobby primarily as a solo activity. I rarely do any modeling with others, I rarely invite people over just to see my trains, I rarely go railfanning or taking photos with other modelers. I generally go to hobby shops and train shows by myself, do my own thing, and am happy doing it. For most of my life, I use model railroading as my "me" time, where I do my own thing, am in control of my own world, and generally tune out other life distractions. When I want to socialize, I almost exclusively choose non-railroad activities. I feel that over the course of my life, I tend to lean on model railroading to get me through periods of grief, depression, or stress. Solitary modeling activities have helped keep my life steady and healthy.

Ditto for me. Thumbsup
Don Shriner
I didn't vote yet but I guess I'll vote solo, however both answers are correct for me. The only thing is when I do it with others I can't enjoy myself if I'm with idiots like shaygetz ran into. If I had been a member of that club when they made that remark to him I would have quit also.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I've pondered this for a while since I last posted, and i think it just depends on the company you keep. I know some people who are into all the same models as I am, and have similar quality standards. Our knowledge base compliments the each others. In this case then, model railroading can easily become a social activity.

However, i think the hobby is so based in individual preferences, that it can be difficult to really find another human being that is compatible with that.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
There's some kind of consensus there!

Mainly, tt is a solo activity for me. It relaxes me in many ways, stimulate my mind and is a good place to express some little creativity and interest in history. I remember in junior high, they founded a modelism club... It went nowhere. When I returned my kit home, I completed the model in less than an evening instead of months. Turning ducklings into swan is the best thing i know.

The social aspect for me is secondary. However, I must admit that since we started our "club layout" (3 people!), it helped me to focussed my multiple and divergent interest into something coherent. None other member is interested in building and detailling trains. One is definitively an operation guy, the other a man that needs incredible technical challenges to change his mind. It is a good way to complete each other. I like to operate, but I must admit my real fun is to see nice models running through nice scenery, just like real life!

I must say that Internet was crucial to me. Seeing other works made me progress a lot, I also enjoyed to meet different people around the world that where kind and knowledgeable. I've learned a lot (and still learn) from them. I would say, this capacity to share works and ideas with people having the same interest is thrilling. The funny thing is that I can hardly find this kind of connection in my area, most people being collectors and not really modellers...

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Sorry, but I simply couldn't vote, my sentiments are exactly in the middle!
I enjoy the solo aspects, for pretty much all positive reasons stated , and I enjoy the social aspect, because it's the social gatherings, through which I learn more about the hobby , be it operations, modeling tips etc.
Big Blue is also a social aspect, we share and learn from each other here in the hobby.
So both are equally valid to me, and therefore the poll should have had that option as 3rd choice, but now lost a vote to complete the stats. I am sure I'm not the only one?

Cheers, Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Koos, you're not the only one -I don't really fit in either category either!

On the one hand, most of my modeling time is on my own, de-stressing, etc., but I don't find company an inconvenience. Those projects that require singleton focus can always be set aside for another time.

On the social side, I like hanging around others with similar interests, but that rarely means operating. Hanging with others with similar interests is inspiring - and there is some peer pressure to build something for the next get together, so it helps move things forward.

Currently, I'm trying to do more of the latter just to broaden my knowledge and skills (even though it doesn't actually happen that often, except on Skype calls)

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
sailormatlac Wrote:The funny thing is that I can hardly find this kind of connection in my area, most people being collectors and not really modellers...Matt

The day I bought my Sunset Models, brass, B&O EL3a, 2-8-8-0 , I made a comment about painting, lettering, weathering, and correcting a couple of minor detail "mistakes" ( yeah I had been studying photos of the loco, and just about knew everything I needed to make the model a more accurate representation of the type, as used by the B&O, and didn't realize that I was standing amid a group of "collectors") and was rewarded by loud gasps, and extreme consternation over the fact that I would even begin to think about altering that "collectible". Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted .....
it was a " good day "! Wink Wink
I guess there is a difference between Modelers, Model railraoders, and Collectors . Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Yeah Pete I know what you mean. When I stripped and repainted a Lionel boxcar at the museum for my N scale railroad you would have thought I had defaced the Mona Lisa or something! Icon_lol Of course over the years several Lionel collectors told me they had that car! Eek One even said it took him forever to find it as "weathered" cars were very unusal for Lionel (that was the only true part of his story). But he had to have one as he grew up next to the Nantahla Midland's tracks in east Tennessee. Icon_lol

Pete you have seen the Nantahala Midland and you know that wasn't possible! Hell, it doesn't even make it out of my spare bedroom here in NC much less make it all the way to Tenn. Goldth

Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I'd say that was a testament to some fine (and convincing) modelling. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Sumpter250 Wrote:
sailormatlac Wrote:The funny thing is that I can hardly find this kind of connection in my area, most people being collectors and not really modellers...Matt

The day I bought my Sunset Models, brass, B&O EL3a, 2-8-8-0 , I made a comment about painting, lettering, weathering, and correcting a couple of minor detail "mistakes" ( yeah I had been studying photos of the loco, and just about knew everything I needed to make the model a more accurate representation of the type, as used by the B&O, and didn't realize that I was standing amid a group of "collectors") and was rewarded by loud gasps, and extreme consternation over the fact that I would even begin to think about altering that "collectible". Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted .....
it was a " good day "! Wink Wink
I guess there is a difference between Modelers, Model railraoders, and Collectors . Icon_twisted

Ehehe!! You know what, in my eyes, the altered model would be a one-of-a-kind model, then more valuable! ;-)

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
I guess I am a loner. I have been at operating sessions at a very large layout. It was OK but I don't care much for how he operates. Have had operating sessions here. It was pretty cool seeing my layout run like real world (after I worked out the bugs). I can get lost for hours in my world.

I have tried the club thing and got similar results as shaygetz. It appears to me that this local club is mainly guys who don't have a home layout.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/