Poll: For you, is model railroading a solo or social activity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Solo Activity. I enjoy doing most of my modeling by myself. I find it a healthy way to calm my brain and spirit, relax, think, and decompress from everyday stress. Having too many other participants causes me to lose focus and sometimes prevents my full enjoyment of the hobby.
82.50%
33 82.50%
Social Activity. I enjoy modeling with others, inviting others over for operating sessions, and participating in clubs. Without the social contacts, I would have less interest in model railroading.
17.50%
7 17.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Model railroading - a solo or social activity?
FiatFan Wrote:I find it interesting that the majority voted to be lone wolves (myself included). I would suggest that this is the "club" for us lone wolves. We can participate or not at our own pace, communicate with others of a similar interest, learn and teach new methods, and have some fun talking to each other through this board.

Tom

Good point -- I think this is definitely a club for lone wolves. Again, if I had the time and money (say $20 to $80 or more per month) to join a model railway club, I probably would. My way around this is to take part (when I can) with various heritage railways. Their membership fees are usually only $40 to $90 per year, which is much more affordable and you can still participate & enjoy the comradery.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
RobertInOntario Wrote:
FiatFan Wrote:I find it interesting that the majority voted to be lone wolves (myself included). I would suggest that this is the "club" for us lone wolves. We can participate or not at our own pace, communicate with others of a similar interest, learn and teach new methods, and have some fun talking to each other through this board.

Tom

Good point -- I think this is definitely a club for lone wolves. Again, if I had the time and money (say $20 to $80 or more per month) to join a model railway club, I probably would. My way around this is to take part (when I can) with various heritage railways. Their membership fees are usually only $40 to $90 per year, which is much more affordable and you can still participate & enjoy the comradery.

Some times I feel the need to interact with "real" people and not just my cyber friends.

I will admit I do grow tired of clubs at times because it can be a drag and can put a crimp in plans-I hate to miss meetings.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
FiatFan made a great point. Many of us get our social needs fulfilled here at Big Blue. Most of my modeling is a solo effort, but part of that is because I am relatively new to the hobby and haven't acquired a group of friends here in Houston. That is changing some, as I have had a few visitors, and the ops session on my layout the other day was great. Have also operated twice with another group of guys at Mike Spoor's layout.

There is a club with an incomplete layout in a 50' x 50' building, only 20 minutes away. I haven't joined, mainly because I fear it will be a distraction from me working on my layout.
Both. I belong to a modular club, and I would like to join another club when time permits my involvement, but I'm also building a layout at home. The room is just too small for more than 2 people to even fit in, and I'm afraid that two people trying to operate the layout, might get in each other's way.
Due to geographic restrictions caused by our living out in the boonies, it is entirely a solo activity for me, and I prefer it that way. modeling is my time to think things through, relax and enjoy myself without having to meet a schedule or anything else.
I think model railroading is just more attractive to people who like to be solo.

While it is possible to do many things in the hobby with other people, its usually just not practical.

On your own personal home layout, you likely have a vision of what it should be, and letting someone else in on it may not be the best idea.

Imagine if you and I were both working on the same kit. When my parts go together with yours, I'm sure they'll seem inconsistent. If we both had our own individual kits, we might be able to small talk but I know either:

A.) i'll start receding into myself and zoning out of the world as i focus on the model,

or

B.) I'll never get the model done because I'm spending to much time talking!

Whats more, We all love building models, and when we have spare time is often not our own decision. When we do get free time, we're not just going to let the model sit because our buddy isn't around, we're just gonna go work on it.

I think more than anything, it is just the nature of the hobby. Even at clubs, its usually just one guy working on a whole section, or a particular job. there is a bunch of us in the room, but it can still be said that it is kinda lonely in there.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
And yet, model railroad clubs and groups are everywhere. It's a paradox.
MountainMan Wrote:modeling is my time to think things through, relax and enjoy myself without having to meet a schedule or anything else.

Cheers

The social time comes when others see the results of the modeling time, and share their praise, or their criticism, and while we usually won't admit it, we get a lot of "validation" from the praise, and a lot of "education" from the criticism.( I never said that being on a learning curve is always fun, some lessons have to be learned the hard way )
In either case, it is a social interaction.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
MountainMan Wrote:And yet, model railroad clubs and groups are everywhere. It's a paradox.

Yes, but those clubs and groups (like this forum) are the only social modeling outlet. And you have to know they exist.

Every show season since i've been part of our train club, we get several model railroaders who didn't even know there was a large club "down the street" from them. This indicates to me that other than maybe bumping into people on occaisional hobby shop visits, they're not socializing that much with the hobby.

I STRONGLY suspect there are far more "solo" model railroaders out there than we realize, with large model railroad clubs just seeming more vocal because, not suprisingly, they attract the social type.

Once again, At my club, half of all the big projects are done at the person's home and then brought to the club. WHOLE layout sections have been trucked in from the basements of club members. Many show up on off days to do their work alone. They do socialize on the meetings, but far less work appears to be done, and much of the time its troubleshooting eachothers equipment. Some members come expressly for the purpose of running trains because they have no layout.

To some of these people, i think socializing is secondary. They just want a larger layout to work from than what they themselves have or are capable of.
Why am I not surprised!?! I am half-tempted to write something about wishy-washy pansies, but I will refrain. 357

Non-committal is an understatement. Icon_lol

Just PICK ONE! How hard can it be? Either you are MORE solo or MORE social. There's no middle ground. Play by the rules or don't play at all. And just to be extra-grouchy, I'm not going to tell you which I chose! Tongue

And if the sarcastic tone of my message is not clear, I'M BEING SARCASTIC!! And while you won't take the poll seriously, my comments are sure to offend somebody.... Nope

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I'll say its both. Although I started out solo, recently I've sought out like minded individuals and joined the local club. I now enjoy both aspects equally. I get to work on my own layout and learn as I go, while at the same time use those skills to help the continuing development of the club layout. Plus I get to run larger trains and consist locos which is impractical on my ISL. I'm also learning how to operate a complex yard, read and learn switch lists plus the schedule that the individual trains operate within.

So I see it as a win - win scenario for me.
ocalicreek Wrote:Why am I not surprised!?! I am half-tempted to write something about wishy-washy pansies, but I will refrain. 357

Non-committal is an understatement. Icon_lol

Just PICK ONE! How hard can it be? Either you are MORE solo or MORE social. There's no middle ground. Play by the rules or don't play at all. And just to be extra-grouchy, I'm not going to tell you which I chose! Tongue

And if the sarcastic tone of my message is not clear, I'M BEING SARCASTIC!! And while you won't take the poll seriously, my comments are sure to offend somebody.... Nope

Galen

Somebody needs a nap... 8-)
Is the act of participating in a model railroad related poll in an on-line forum a social activity? Wink

Andrew
Primarily social, both on the net and once a week at a local eatery with other modelers.

As far as clubs...solo...it's been 4 and a half years since THE MOMENT at the local club when two well heeled members expressed their opinion that I needed to get a real job so that I could buy real trains and not run "that toy junk on our layout". Yes...it still hurts that much...I thought I left that male bovine effluvium back in junior high school.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
shaygetz Wrote:Primarily social, both on the net and once a week at a local eatery with other modelers.

As far as clubs...solo...it's been 4 and a half years since THE MOMENT at the local club when two well heeled members expressed their opinion that I needed to get a real job so that I could buy real trains and not run "that toy junk on our layout". Yes...it still hurts that much...I thought I left that male bovine effluvium back in junior high school.

Yup, I hear you on that one, though its a shame. As long as your trains function (aka, don't derail, decoder responds, etc.) there shouldn't be a problem.

I could understand where they were coming from if it was just constantly failing (I know people at my club who drive the members crazy, with constant derailments, and they are using "real trains" too!), but if that were the case, they could at least be polite about it.

As old as your collection appears to be, they all look to be in great shape from the photos (only that TYCO GG1 makes me twitch a little, but thats just me Wallbang Icon_lol ).