American Resotoration?
The History Channel keeps getting more & more interesting!

I just saw an ad for a new show called "American Restoration" which is basically by the "American Picker" guys.

You'd think that they might feature some old locomotives (especially steamers) on this new show! I'll be keeping my eye on it for that reason. Here's a website I found: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.history.com/shows/american-restoration">http://www.history.com/shows/american-restoration</a><!-- m -->

I've also been watching American Pickers hoping that they might unearth a stash of old model railways or railway-related stuff in their episodes. So far, I've seen an old caboose and station on their show.

Just curious if anyone has seen any railway-related segments on these (and similar) shows?

Thanks,

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
If it's a show about things that have been restored then you could see a steam locomotive on it. If it's a show that restores something then even the History Channel doesn't have deep enough pockets to float that one.
That show is basically an offshoot of the, "Pawn Stars" series. They are both in Las Vegas and so far the only "railroad" restoration they made was on an old child's riding train. The basically do restoration on small items, that is, small relative to a prototype train engine. I'm not sure how the"Pickers" would be able to fit an engine in their Mercedes panel truck either. Eek I'm not sure how they fit all of what they buy on a trip anyway. My wife and I were talking about that last night and figured that the camera and production people ride in a large truck and they transfer all the excess stuff to there when the cameras are not rolling.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Oh yeah, there was a recent series where the "Pawn Stars" asked the "Pickers" to find an old car for the Old Man for his birthday. They sold it to the restoration guys, who, together with "Danny" the car restorer, restored the car and in turn sold it to Rick to give to the Old Man, his father. I can't remember what the car was, but it had to be an old Chevvy or a Ford... :? Hey, I'm doing good just remembering the sequence of these shows, never mind the details Nope 35

Now that would be great if they did the same on an old steam engine and gave it to that guy that runs the museum there.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Oh yeah, there was a recent series where the "Pawn Stars" asked the "Pickers" to find an old car for the Old Man for his birthday. They sold it to the restoration guys, who, together with "Danny" the car restorer, restored the car and in turn sold it to Rick to give to the Old Man, his father. I can't remember what the car was, but it had to be an old Chevvy or a Ford... :? Hey, I'm doing good just remembering the sequence of these shows, never mind the details Nope 35

Now that would be great if they did the same on an old steam engine and gave it to that guy that runs the museum there.

Yes, American Pickers & Pawn Stars are great shows. When I very briefly saw a commercial for American Restoration, I think they showed some cars & farm machinery, etc. That's what got me thinking of trains & locomotives. Since the show is to be about restoring things -- machinery, vehicles, etc. -- locomotives logically come to mind (at least my mind!). Even model locomotives, i.e. miniature railways, live steam models, etc. would be interesting.

My wife is continually amused that I'm a fan of a show called "Pawn Stars"!
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
RobertInOntario Wrote:Yes, American Pickers & Pawn Stars are great shows. When I very briefly saw a commercial for American Restoration, I think they showed some cars & farm machinery, etc. That's what got me thinking of trains & locomotives. Since the show is to be about restoring things -- machinery, vehicles, etc. -- locomotives logically come to mind (at least my mind!). Even model locomotives, i.e. miniature railways, live steam models, etc. would be interesting.

My wife is continually amused that I'm a fan of a show called "Pawn Stars"!
My wife was hooked on "Pickers", but it took a while for her to want to watch "Pawn Stars". I think she feels sorry for Chumlee and keep hoping that he'll win one. Icon_lol

I think the restorers did some railroad memorabilia, I think there's a railroad museum south of town near Henderson that they've done some work for. It's been a long time since I've been up to Vegas, but I most certainly will stop by there and the Clark County Museum when I do. I might even stop by the pawn shop just to see if Chumlee is real or just a made up character for the show. Wink
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
railohio Wrote:If it's a show about things that have been restored then you could see a steam locomotive on it. If it's a show that restores something then even the History Channel doesn't have deep enough pockets to float that one.

Depends on the nature of the restoration - fully operational from a loco that's been on display in the outdoors since the 1950s... probably not. But there are a few that are very close to operational and have been properly stored. The restoration bit would be pretty uninteresting, but the show's focus could be on the restored operation after the fact.

One good example of this would be CPR 1208, which (as I understand it) is stored (nearly) servicable at the Museum of Science and Tech in Ottawa. Its biggest need is tires, which aren't that expensive in the overall scheme of things.

Andrew
Interesting comments! Yes, it will be good to keep an eye on this show.

I like the "crustiness" of Pawn Stars. My wife likes the British Antiques Roadshow. It's not bad but it's so well-mannered, polite & (apparently) "upper class" that it's not as funny as Pawn Stars. The guys on Pawn Stars are real characters, which make the show interesting. I like how they do research to find out how valuable or rare something is.
Rob
One "Pickers" show I saw was when they went to a house that hasd all kinds of steam machinery out int he "huge" back yard. Some cars and machinery and a steam engine. I don't remember them even offering anyhting for the steam engine, it was basically rusting away. It was a small switching engine. I like the show, I watch it when I "remember" to Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I saw some of this show, they had a 1900s era passenger car vacuum cleaner, restore to PRISTINE condition. Not that industrial vacuum cleaners are interesting, but this thing looked like a tank and definitely would have cleaned out any seat it was used on.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I saw some of this show, they had a 1900s era passenger car vacuum cleaner, restore to PRISTINE condition. Not that industrial vacuum cleaners are interesting, but this thing looked like a tank and definitely would have cleaned out any seat it was used on.
Yeah, that's the one they did for that railroad museum. Didn't they also restore an old railroad trunk?

Fortunately, I don't have to remember when they're on, I set the DVR and let it worry about such mundane and repetitive things. If I had to rely on my memory, I'd not get to watch anything. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and