Reading P7sa back to a C1
I made a new way of fastining the body to the frame. I made a brass bar to hold them together in the rear. The front way stsyed the same.
toptrain
Cab on shows new roof hatches and partial view on new body bar.

Photo shows bar installed.

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
** Next problems encountered. I want to have backhead detail. It doesn't have to be a perfect reproduction on the C1 cab interior. This is mainly because I can't find any photo of what the interior looks like. I can only glean information from the drawings. A problem this causes is backhead won't fit because of me new brass bar is in the way. Well by rebending the bar I can cut off the old cab connection and have uniform curve to brass in this location. Bar has been moved and is no longer in the way. Now I have to craft a backhead with some sort of inside lip connection to the boiler body. Too many words needed to describe the work going into this. It is done now and I have a basic backhead that fits into the boiler rear. Next once the glue is dry and hard is the detailing of the backhead.
toptrain
Here is the removal backhead on and off.
toptrain

You can see that in the off position I can get to the screw that holds the boiler rear in place.

Frank,
your model is on a good way for a really fine model.
Wish you good success for next steps!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
*** Here is the drawing of the back of the cab. This is the my only source of information as to the cab interior. What is there, and where it goes. From here with this drawing in I can start on the cab detailing.
** A big quesrion ? ? ? Does anyone know what all that piping, values, and things are for. I know a few. Fire box doors, throttle, pressure gagues. Maybe a sight Glass. Seat location on firemans side to be duplicated on engineers side. A round circle that I was told is for the reversing the locomotive. Water feed pipes and values ( I don't know, why so many, and why they are equalized, or what they do. Equalizing valve. Shelf. 6 levers off of floor, 4 control the ash releases, the other two ? ? ?. The stuff at a level under the engineers seat ? ? ?. The strange device with 3 connections on the bottom, above the engineers eye level, what is it ? ? ?. And whatever you see that I dont.

Frank ak - toptrain

Edit: Photo deleted, by request.
"Water feed pipes and valves ( I don't know, why so many, and why they are equalized, or what they do."
I assume you mean the two large "valves" above the firebox doors"...these are the injectors, ( look similar to Nathan lifting injectors, but are probably PRR manufacture ). Notice that the operating handles ( levers) face "out". One is the fireman's ( left ) the other is the engineer's. On each, the bottom pipes are; larger - water line from tender, smaller - overflow pipe. Pipes on top are the steam lines, (from the turret, on top of the boiler), and the pipes going to the center are the water pipes to the boiler, the "thing" on top of those pipes is probably, the boiler check valve.
"6 levers off of floor" these look to be the grate shaker bars, used to help dump the ash.
" The stuff at a level under the engineers seat ? ? ?" Unless that is actually in front of the seat ( then it would most likely be the Johnson bar ( for.--rev. lever ), otherwise ?....( insert shoulder shrug smilie here ).
" The strange device with 3 connections on the bottom, above the engineers eye level "
- Hydrostatic lubricator - mixes oil with the steam fed to mechanical devices like air compressor, dynamo, etc. ( Mechanical lubricators are usually driven by, and found mounted to the valve gear drive, usually bracketed to the crosshead guides, or guide supports ).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
"The stuff at a level under the engineers seat ? ? ?" - I think this could be the spring mechanism for engineers seat.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Frank, my guess is that the majority of the piping is for the injectors and a dual-feed check valve, since your first photo shows evidence of neither in their usual locations.

I can see two possibilities for the piping. In the first, the top-mounted check valve may be in the cab or directly in front of it, while the pipes leading to it are for water delivery. That would then mean that the outboard lower pipes are water delivery from the tender, while the lower inboard pipes are drain/overflow lines - note the unions on each pipe. I'm guessing that the fixture on the pipe connecting the two injectors is the steam supply to run the injectors.

The second possibility is that the top fixture is the steam supply, which would mean that the lower outboard pipes are the drain/overflow lines, while the inboard ones are the water supply from the tender.
Note in both cases that there are valves on both injectors to shut-off both steam and water, regardless of which pipe is which, and also what appear to be actuating levers (upright, and leaning outwards at an angle above the lower valve handles).
Both possibilities are unusual when compared to more modern useage, as both put cold water into the boiler very close to the firebox, and both are picking up steam very close to that incoming cold water. Both of the scenarios I've suggested are only guesses, but I favour the first, as there's a good likelihood that the fixture between the two injectors isn't actually picking up steam at its mounting point, but rather that it's connected to a pipe within the boiler that runs to the steam dome (where steam naturally collects).
The circular device for reversing was used extensively on the CPR, so its useage here may not be at all unusual. The stuff under the engineer's seat may be brake-related, as may be the device with the three connections, but I'm only guessing in both cases. Pete's suggestion of hydrostatic lubricators makes more sense. As for the two extra levers, perhaps they're for grate shakers.

Wayne
Wayne , and Sumpter. thanks for the help. So the big pipes with their stuff are water ejectors to the boiler. and handle some kind of overflow. Most likely steam. The leavers for the fireman and engineer are for releasing, blowing off excess steam thro the overflow. Well I am probably wrong. i just have to make something that looks like that stuff. The things under the seat do look like a way of raising the seat for a better view for the engineer. it looks like a nice cushion and a piston for raising and lowering the seat. Wayne the big round reverse Handel. How did it work. I know it moved a cable. Was it just use for a mechanical advantage to overcome the restriction of pushing or pulling the reversing slide valve above the cylinders in and out. Is there a photo or drawing showing how this circle ( wheel handle) mounted in front of the engineer.
Frank - - toptrain
toptrain Wrote:Wayne , and Sumpter. thanks for the help. So the big pipes with their stuff are water ejectors to the boiler. and handle some kind of overflow. Most likely steam. The leavers for the fireman and engineer are for releasing, blowing off excess steam thro the overflow. Well I am probably wrong. i just have to make something that looks like that stuff. The things under the seat do look like a way of raising the seat for a better view for the engineer. it looks like a nice cushion and a piston for raising and lowering the seat. Wayne the big round reverse Handel. How did it work. I know it moved a cable. Was it just use for a mechanical advantage to overcome the restriction of pushing or pulling the reversing slide valve above the cylinders in and out. Is there a photo or drawing showing how this circle ( wheel handle) mounted in front of the engineer. Here is the other photo with a side view of it.
Frank - - toptrain

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Ejectors are a slightly different appliance from injectors, and have been called "the poor-man's feedwater heater". Wink
The overflow would likely be some steam (spent) and some water (diverted from the feed pipe when the injector is periodically shut off). The levers would be for activating the injectors - normally, the valves for both water and steam would be open at all times (ready to use), and turned on, as required, by moving the appropriate lever.
As for the wheel, as far as I know it turned a shaft which was threaded (a worm) which in turn activated either the valve gear directly or via a power reverse mechanism. Earlier versions may have worked via a cable but such a system could accept input from either the engineer or the valve gear, the latter often resulting in injury to the engineer. The worm, because of the "steepness" of its thread, would accept input only from the engineer's control wheel. I couldn't locate a photo of the CPR version, but here's one on a South African steam loco:
reverse wheel

Wayne
There were two types of reversing controls: rotary and lever. The lever swung in a big arc -- often above the engineer --along a curved segment with notches and had a latch that fitted into the notches to keep it in position.
The other type had to be turned. The drawing and photo suggest a wheel; when I was in Flying Scotsman it was a crank on a vertical screw rod with a pointer on it.
Either type shifted the valve gear to adjust the point at which steam was admitted to the cylinders. At the extremes, steam would be admitted for much of the stroke, reducing to no admittance (and no valve movement) in the middle. Note that most model steam locomotives have their valve gear set in the centre position.
The rotary handle gave a fine adjustment to the "cut off" but was miserable in a switching job when every direction change meant you had to spin the handle for ages.
(sorry: too much info?)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
*** Yesterdays drawing of the cab from the rear shows a arm, bar coming at a angle to the engineers. Is this the Throttle ? Also the rectangular thing under, and in the middle of this bar I think is a sight glass. Is this so ? Also does anyone see the brake ?
frank
In this view the cab backhead detail is done.
frank

Worship Cheers Worship Cheers Worship
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Nicely done. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne