Newbie DCC Recommendation
I want to use DCC on my new HO guage switching layout which is under construction, but don’t know where to start. Slow speed operation and realistic sound for my diesel locomotives are both must haves. A wireless controller (I don’t know if I am calling it by the right name) has a lot of appeal, but may not be necessary. I would rather not start with a basic unit only to have to upgrade, I would prefer to get best unit for my purposes the first time.

If cost was no issue, what would you recommend and why?

If cost was a issue, what would you recommend and why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Hello Mark!

A warm welcome.
I started with an Digitrax DCS50 Zephyr when switching over to DCC in 2006 and was full satisfied. It was rel. pricy and it you cab do nearly anything according to DCC with it. The system in upgradeable with handheld throttles. Both versions if either conventional with wire connection or the wireless version.
Meanwhile an upgraded Version of the Zephyr, the Zephyr DCS51 is on the market.
So i did.

Lutz
If cost is not an issue then I recommend the wireless Roco Multimaus Pro + Multizentrale. It's fairly easy to operate, can read and write CVs, comes with computer software for your layout if you like that sort of thing. You can also plug in many slave handsets.

If cost is an issue I recommend the Roco Multimaus. A wired controller with less features than the Multimaus Pro, but is compatible with it so you don't have to throw away the controllers if you upgrade to the Multimaus Pro.
Mark;

I would highly recommend the NCE PowerCab. It's simple to use for either operating your layout or programming the locomotives. For instance, I always input the locomotive number as the DCC address and putting in a long address such as 5030 is a very simple procedure with the PowerCab. You can program or adjust CV's on your locomotives either on the "main" or a program track.

You can get them for about $150 and hook up is very simple. It can be upgraded, even to radio control if the expense is justified. The PowerCab comes with a 7ft cable, but when I ordered mine, I also ordered a longer 14ft cable, which allows me to easily reach any place on my 20+ foot long ISL.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
NCE ......very intuitive and user friendly, cv programming on the main or on a programming track.
Cost no object= NCE Pro-Cab
Cost an issue= NCE Powercab....complete starter system, easily upgraded

Tonys Train Exchange in Vermont is probably one of the best Dcc dealers and the most knowledgable, very supportive!

Being a Canuck I have no connection with either NCE or Tonys....I'm just a really satisfied customer.

Cheers
Gene
Another vote for the Zephyr, still have mine, and it's still the heart of my layout, the seocnd one I have built that's DCC. Not counting the simple oval of Bachmann track I set up to test things when I first got the Zephyr. Everything's included, nothing gets tossed when adding more (I now have a second booster, 3 throttles, and a computer hookup for JMRI), and it's really easy to use. The current unit is the Zephyr Xtra, which can control up to 20 locos and has 3 amps, enough for 6-12 HO locos, even with sound (I ran 8 at a time on my original 2.5 amp Zephyr, and simply ran out of room to run more, it wasn't overloaded even then, 4 sound, 4 non-sound). Plus you cna connect your old DC power pack, or two if you have them, and use them as extra throttles via the 'jump' ports. So if you have 2 old power packs, out of the box you have controls for 3 simultaneous trains.
Also no cab address issues like NCE Goldth

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
I bought a NCE Powercab awhile ago and I have been very satisfied with it, it is very easy to use and has lots of features, as others have pointed out it is upgradable. I think a walk-around throttle is a must have for a switching layout.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Ok, Lots of good information here. Thank you all for your participation.

This is what I would like to accomplish on my small switching layout...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSIvqIqJsI">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSIvqIqJsI</a><!-- m -->

With the proper sound equipped decoder, can I do this with a DCC system in the $150.00-250.00 range? I am thinking that cordless is probably overkill for me right now, but I defiantly want a hand held throttle.

Can anyone point me towards some resources in print or on the web that I should read or look at to get myself acquainted with the basics of DCC, programing, special effects, etc?

BTW, isn't that is one sweet CF-7. Thumbsup

Mark
Yes you can do all that you saw in the video with a Dcc sound equipped loco and the NCE Powercab system which is costing about $150.00
I have the MRC PA and had it upgraded to the PA squared. It comes highly recommended. I have had no problems with the system and I have run as many as 8 sound equipped locomotives at the same time with the supplied power pack. The MRC is very easy to make consists, and does programing on the main as well as a program track. I also got the wireless computer throttle which is great for running as well as programming.
MRC also uses standard CAT5 cables for tethers and I wired the jacks around the layout with outlets from Home Depot. I had to add a booster for the jacks because I have more than 5 outlets, but that just plugs into an AC outlet and one of the CAT5 receptacles.
MRC does not play with JMRI, but I don't care. It is a great system. The instructions are also printed on the back of the throttle which is very handy.
MRC got a bad rap for their decoders which were not very reliable early on but the new ones are better. However I have 7 locomotives with MRC sound decoders and they work swell, the only complaint being the volume is too loud, but I don't hear well, so that's fine with me, I just hit F8 when friends are here and we are chatting.
I would recommend you join the yahoo chat groups for the DCC systems. Their is one for most all of them. Just lurk and see what problems they each have, and how simple or hard the solutions are.
I have used the NCE power cab, and I found it to be less user friendly, though not to hard to figure out. After all, DCC is a continuous learning system anyway.
Charlie