A Look At Slate Creek.
hi Brakie
yes you answered the questions. The three remarks above the questions had to do with them.
To give an example: when i ask about fiddling behind industries, your reply is: that track is not hidden(underground?)
When i talk about adding a cassette your reply is typical, the length of a consist is not the same every day, so a cassette is out.
The cassete might double as a fiddle track too, beside creating a few feet of additional length for the spurs. Of course you do not comment on it.

A forum is great in sharing or discussing idea's..it needs two to tango however.
Smile
Paul
When it comes to dancing I got 2 left feet--some times. Icon_lol

As far as hidden track there won't be any above or below ground. 357

The cassette might double as a fiddle track too, beside creating a few feet of additional length for the spurs. Of course you do not comment on it.
-----------------------
That's a 2 left feet thing. Eek 357 I overlooked question. :oops:

Interesting thought-maybe use like a carfloat?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Personal, I don't like cassettes, I know Lance Mindheim used one with his east-rail layout, but it just seems like too much work to do all of the wiring and such, in n-scale it would also be a pain the line up the track on the cassette with the track on the layout. I think Brakie should stick with a fiddle track.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Personal, I don't like cassettes, I know Lance Mindheim used one with his east-rail layout, but it just seems like too much work to do all of the wiring and such, in n-scale it would also be a pain the line up the track on the cassette with the track on the layout. I think Brakie should stick with a fiddle track.
hi Justin and Brakie
The question always is: what can a cassette do for your layout? What is the price you'll have to pay?
What it can do is clear; the part of the layout that can effectively be used is at least 2 feet longer, not bad on a 6 feet long layout. It is a great place to fiddle. And yes Brakie, you can operate it like a car-float.
The pain, yes lots of it...in its most simple configuration it is like adding a few straight snap-tracks, beside putting in a plug for electrical contact.
BTW a forum is about sharing idea's, not for telling someone else what he or she should do.
Smile
Paul
Guys,With my current planned operation I'm not sure a staging track or cassette is fully warranted. :? :?:

Here's a little secrete..Over the past few weeks I have entertain the idea of backing dating to the 50s using a carfloat but,can't devise a workable scheme for such a operation-I must be getting old the whole 50 idea is to have a steam powered railroad.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry if this is going to be a steam era switching layout are you going to use a tank engine so your tender isn't always in the way?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Is there space at the rear of your yard for a hidden staging track behind buildings or flats?
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Larry if this is going to be a steam era switching layout are you going to use a tank engine so your tender isn't always in the way?

Mike,No..I would probably use a Spectrum 2-8-0 or 4-6-0.The 4-6-0 was bought by the shortline as a replace their worn out 2-8-0.

But,that remains to be seen.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

MountainMan Wrote:Is there space at the rear of your yard for a hidden staging track behind buildings or flats?

No..The flats will be glued to the backdrop.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

This will sound crazy, but can you place a large building at one end of your payout that can hold a small, hidden staging area? Something like a long warehouse?
Brakie Wrote:Over the past few weeks I have entertain the idea of backing dating to the 50s using a carfloat but,can't devise a workable scheme for such a operation-I must be getting old the whole 50 idea is to have a steam powered railroad.
Larry;

Check out the latest issue of MR. Quite a few pages devoted to car float operations and some layout ideas.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
MountainMan Wrote:This will sound crazy, but can you place a large building at one end of your payout that can hold a small, hidden staging area? Something like a long warehouse?

Yes, he can. An example in H0 scale would be the 18" deep and 10 foot long "Tenderfoot Industrial Railroad" by Peter M White (http://www.shenware.com/layouts/tenderfoot.html). 18" deep and 10 foot long in H0 scale is about the equivalent of 10" deep and 5 1/2 foot long in N scale.

It is a nice switching layout. But it is not necessarily what Larry is looking for

Smile,
Stein
hi Brakie,
[Image: 6X15CASSETTEBRAKIE02.jpg]
You'll see 3 plans here.
The first two are designed for N-scale, the last one for HO.
#2 is a N-scale addaption of the plan SteinJr spoke about above. Due to the #5 Atlas c55 switches the design turned out to be a wee bit longer then 6 feet. You could do the remaining tinkering yourself.
#3 is a disign by Ulrich or SirMaddog, if you leave the Anchorage staging out you have a plan that could probably be fitted also in your space.
Have fun with them
Paul
Pulas:

I like all three of your layout plans since they include a run around track. The runaround track can give the layout a sense of arriving, from staging, "turning" the consist(running around it) and then departing back to staging rather than just shoving in to the layout and switching a bunch of spur tracks.

Mostof the modern railroads I have managed/worked on have at least one or more run around tracks for reliable service. Making shoves all the time is a pain, consumes too much time and is more like a model railroad move than prototype modeling.

Barry
steinjr Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:This will sound crazy, but can you place a large building at one end of your payout that can hold a small, hidden staging area? Something like a long warehouse?

Yes, he can. An example in H0 scale would be the 18" deep and 10 foot long "Tenderfoot Industrial Railroad" by Peter M White (http://www.shenware.com/layouts/tenderfoot.html). 18" deep and 10 foot long in H0 scale is about the equivalent of 10" deep and 5 1/2 foot long in N scale.

It is a nice switching layout. But it is not necessarily what Larry is looking for

Smile,
Stein

I thought he was asking for suggestions...