Impromptu scratch built flat in approx. S scale
Hi all.

Have not made the loads yet, but have been tempted to put a On30 steam donky on the S gauge flat or maybe make one like On30 one I seen from scratch.

I have a stock pile of reclaimed card stock from cereal boxes ect.

Hope to have some progress pics soon.
Hi all,

I am going to order an HO model of a logskidder/steamdonky I saw in walthers flyer. If it looks good on the flat car great if not I will have a 3d object that I can base a scratch built one off of. Also getting some more balsa wood grab bag as well.

Will have to take a trip to a hobby store and get some various lengths of strip balsa to make a full length car with.

My personal hobby time has been taxed by having to catch up on stuff for the club layout. My layout at home has suffered the most neglect.
Well I got the load I orderd for my flat car, the crates are useable but the main part the log skidder thing needs to be scratchbuilt to a more apropraite size Smile also got some more balsa and some more chain along with some other odds and ends. Only one disappointment the creats of coca cola bottles are unpainted even in O scale that will be a challenge to paint Icon_lol

Will post some progress pics soon.
Here are some pics with the load being test fited, half tempted to leave it as is but too me the main part of load is kinda whimpy looking.

I think the load is good, but it needs to be lashed down to finish it off.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think the load is good, but it needs to be lashed down to finish it off.

Thanks,

I have some chain but have not decided how to use them, maybe some bits of wood as well to keep the load from shifting. Then on to the hopper load.
Will start a "full length" flat in S gauge soon as I have some long strips of wood to make the frame with and will order some self adhesive wood deck material from B.T.S. it comes in 40 and 52 foot sections.
Hi all,

as My On30 project is nearing completion I will start up on The S gauge rolling stock again, yes I am building in two scales double the fun 35 Icon_lol 35

Not only will a full length flat be built but a standard gauge S scale log car might be in the works, below is a pic of a concept trial fit to see if it can be done.

Well here is the log car progress pic also got the wood decking material for the flat car but have not started it yet.

Hey all can you guess what the following 2 pics are about? The full length flat has not come about yet but had an idea that was screaming to be built into a 3d item Icon_lol

Well,

the side master is about ready to be made a mold from, will also try to get around to that elusive full length flat car as well this weekend.

Update on Projects in Process:

1. Need to set up a bandsaw or a scroll saw so I can continue with the caboose from a chunk of bass wood looks like that experiment will work out worse case caboose may be relagated to running with the tinplate and toyish O and S gauge trains.

2.Still have not secured the load to my S gauge flat or made a load for the freelanced hopper.

3.Need to paint up the On30 stock car and build a few more of them.

4.Log car in S standard is still in the design phase.

5.The S gauge stock car needs the floor end and roof masters built up.
Well here are 3 pics of the S gauge stock car that got started on a whim. In the pics are the side master glued to the interior of an old kit box, the resluting rubber mold and a first casting which has a lot of flashing but virtualy no voids(and with out useing a pressure chamber). Will need to build masters for the end, roof and floor. And yes soon a flat car will also be built.

Will be soon starting on a S gauge flat car soon not sure what length it will be yet but it will be built soon.
I have the decks for the S gauge flats and even some wood strips just have to start the build process. I forsee a busy weekend for modeling.
I have not let the S gauge flat car idea slip away just draged my feet a bit. Found a prototype to build it is a 52' 6" flat will need to see what materials I will need for this one but have made a paper template of deck and profile of the side. (I cheated by taking an ho car and enlarged it 136% to S scale on my all in one printer)