CTU spur Alaska
Hi Chris.

Another newbie joining Big Blue after reading this thread. I really like the way switch jobs can turn up with the loco in the middle of the train, as shown in one of the photos linked earlier in this thread, and am also a firm believer that "off stage" run round loops are a perfectly valid space saver.

Having said that though, you don't actually need to save much space with this one, it looks huge in comparison to your previous layouts! The impression given by the open space of the yard, combined with the nicely proportioned buildings, gives the layout a wonderful realism.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing it later in the year at TVNAM.
Bob Hughes
Blackcloud's Blog
Chris;

Another question for you, this time scenery related: "Would you describe how you did the long grass please?"

I believe that it is fake fur cut to a height, but would like to know what you did to get it looking like you did.

Insights on scenery treatments are always valuable.
Regards
Andrew Martin
Visit the blog and the small layout design site: https://huntervalleylines.wordpress.com
For modelling articles and gallery (click Website button below)
I hesitate to answer on behalf of Chris but the long grass looks like something we in the UK call "hanging basket liner" - available from all good garden shops! It has a plastic backing. You can stick it on the layout with the plastic side down, or get a better effect by sticking it "grass" side down and then when it is firmly stuck rip the backing off. Then trim to the desired effect and add other bits of foliage, A reliable and cheap method!
Blackcloud Railways Wrote:Hi Chris.

Another newbie joining Big Blue after reading this thread. I really like the way switch jobs can turn up with the loco in the middle of the train, as shown in one of the photos linked earlier in this thread, and am also a firm believer that "off stage" run round loops are a perfectly valid space saver.

Having said that though, you don't actually need to save much space with this one, it looks huge in comparison to your previous layouts! The impression given by the open space of the yard, combined with the nicely proportioned buildings, gives the layout a wonderful realism.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing it later in the year at TVNAM.

Thanks Bob
its 15inches longer than Haston and 3 inches wider plus the fiddle yard.
I've not done much since the Christmas time apart from buy an Atlas Alaskan caboose off ebay.
it cost $29.99 and the shipping was $28 ......
Chris
England
PhilM Wrote:I hesitate to answer on behalf of Chris but the long grass looks like something we in the UK call "hanging basket liner" - available from all good garden shops! It has a plastic backing. You can stick it on the layout with the plastic side down, or get a better effect by sticking it "grass" side down and then when it is firmly stuck rip the backing off. Then trim to the desired effect and add other bits of foliage, A reliable and cheap method!

Andrew
Phil is spot on
I picked up a large sheet of the liner for Haston ,so I have loads left for further layours :wink:

Here it is at Haston in its Connecticut Southern days

Chris
England
Looks good.
I have a question...Where'd you get that CSOR loco?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Looks good.
I have a question...Where'd you get that CSOR loco?

It's an Atlas B40-8 LMX unit patched to look like CSOR 8530

I'm going over to Connecticut this coming Fall so I can do so real rail fanning of the CSOR
Chris
England
Chris, is there a place where photos from all the phases of Haston's history can be found? I knew about the Vermont period, but not the Connecticut Southern!
wsor4490uk Wrote:
PhilM Wrote:I hesitate to answer on behalf of Chris but the long grass looks like something we in the UK call "hanging basket liner" - available from all good garden shops! It has a plastic backing. You can stick it on the layout with the plastic side down, or get a better effect by sticking it "grass" side down and then when it is firmly stuck rip the backing off. Then trim to the desired effect and add other bits of foliage, A reliable and cheap method!

Andrew
Phil is spot on
I picked up a large sheet of the liner for Haston ,so I have loads left for further layours :wink:

Can you give us a picture of what it looks like before installation?
Can you give us a picture of what it looks like before installation?

is this any good?

Chris
England
wsor4490uk Wrote:Can you give us a picture of what it looks like before installation?

is this any good?
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I was asking what the pre-made mat looks like when you buy it, prior to doing anything with it?
MountainMan Wrote:
wsor4490uk Wrote:Can you give us a picture of what it looks like before installation?

is this any good?
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I was asking what the pre-made mat looks like when you buy it, prior to doing anything with it?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Chris
England
It also comes on a roll - I sent some out to the US North-west coast area a couple of years ago - the ones Chris showed are to fit in Hanging baskets
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND][/quote]

Great! Thanks. Thumbsup
Good morning all
I just need to share this with you all
Yesterday evening around 5pm uk time I ordered an Alaskan Atlas MP15 from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trainworldonline.com/">http://www.trainworldonline.com/</a><!-- m -->
It was shipped via UPS

It's just arrived !!!!!!!

Now that's service
Chris
England