A change in my signature...from "LTC" to "LTC - Retired"
To my friends here at Big Blue,

Tomorrow my signature will change...from LTC to LTC-Retired...as today is my last day serving my country in the armed forces of the United States. I served for 20 years combined in the United States Air Force and the North Carolina Air National Guard. I started my career as a Staff Sergeant at Officer Training School and ended as a Lieutenant Colonel. I've flown five different Air Force aircraft: T-37, T-38, C-9A, C-5A and C-5B, and C-130H2 and C-130H3. And I've flown 189 combat sorties in Iraq and Afghanistan, coming under direct fire several times. And it's time this career comes to an end.

I have served with so many great people, seen so many things, been so many places. I've learned that your true friends will never leave you, nothing you'll ever see replaces the smile of your child, and there really is no place like home. I have missed so much of my children's lives...first words, first steps, successes and accomplishments.

But I'm thankful to have had the privilege to serve my country and hope and pray I somehow made a difference. And thankful that, when it mattered the most, I could do my job under fire and return home to tell of it.

Thank you all for your encouragement, support, and friendship over the years. I'm continuing on in my civilian flying career...but staying closer to home and not half a world away.

To those still serving, to the good folks here with family and friends deployed in harm's way, I earnestly pray for their safety. They are and remain the true heros in our complex world. No matter what branch of the military they serve in, they are the living reminder to us all of MacArthur's words: Duty, Honor, Country.

Most humbly and respectfully,

Mark
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Congratulations Mark on an outstanding career---I thank you and salute you for all your personal sacrifices and contributions that you have made to preserve our freedom.May all your days be filled with happiness, joy,peace and contentment
Thank you for your service......and a good future to you.
dwight77
Thank you sir for helping to keep my family safe. I am glad to hear that you will be retiring safely , able to tell your children what you have done over seas . If you have any pictures or stories from your time spent in the service I'm sure that others here wood like to hear and see them. Thank you for all that you have given and enjoy your retirement.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Herc Driver Wrote:To my friends here at Big Blue,

I have missed so much of my children's lives...first words, first steps, successes and accomplishments.

Dear Mark
You may have missed these events, but because of you and guys like you, you will be able to see your grandchildren and great grandchildren make these strides. Please share the stories of your military service with your children. There will be a day when they will want to know all about what their dad did for his country.
My dad was in WWII, just the last few months in the Pacific, but he spent 3 years on the Great Lakes in the Coast Guard then sailed an LST from Ambridge Pa. When the war ended he was somewhere in the Pacific and the didn't get home for 6 months after VJ Day. I wish he would have shared more stories with us. He has been gone 28 years.

So I applaud you for your service and admire what you have done.
If you ever wind up in the Pittsburgh area let me know if you have time. Railcop and I are 40 minutes from the airport.

Charlie
Congratulations !

Smile,
Stein
A great day. My congratulation and I think your service was of high value. I wish you a long and happy retirement.
Reinhard
Thanks for your service, sir. I've supported your platform in a minor way here and there, and think the world of you guys.
As a retired RAF Air Trafficker of 33 years - come in - pull up a beer - and make yourself comfortable! Congratulations on making it through.
Jack
What else can I say that hasn't been said, but still, we consider it our privilege to think that you regard us as friends; we are the ones to be honored my friend. Congratulations to a well-earned retirement, and many thanks for your selfless service on our behalf. We have a grandson serving in Afghanistan right now, as do many of us who have family and friends there, and I'm sure your actions helped protect them and keep them safe while they did their jobs.

What a great way to start the new year..... Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thank you, Mark, for all you have done for our country.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
As the others have said, congrats on your retirement and many thanks for your service! Cheers Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
We can only thank you for your commitment to serve our country. It's because of people like yourself whose selfless service, since this country's inception, that have made it what it is today.

Thank you.
Gus (LC&P).
Congratulations and thank you Mark. Here's to a well earned retirement! Cheers
Ralph
Welcome to the ranks of the retired. "Bravo Zulu" ( which, in the U.S.Navy means "Well Done" )!! Thumbsup
CPO USN RET
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!