What is your favorite aspect of model railroading?
My wife thinks that I like installing couplers. She mentions the time we found the hobby shop in Albuquerque and she bought a Lionel tender with sound effects and I came out with a couple of packets of Kadees.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I think my favorite part of model railroading is introducing people to the hobby. Seeing the look on their faces when they see that it's "not just a toy train"...priceless :o

To be honest, I've found that "grown-ups" are more amazed than the kids are.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
I agree with Steve Cheers When I show off the layout to adults that have never seen a model rail road before the consensuses is usually something along the lines that it is 3D art and not just playing with toys.
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
I also enjoy this aspect of the hobby. I just get annoyed when people call my commuter cars "Subway cars". I have no subway cars... but they all look the same in the end.

Anyways, Model railroads never have a bad ending. I rarely have to wonder what it is i'm looking at, or why did the train do what it did. Can't say the same for some other time consuming media I can think of.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I have to admit that one of my favorite parts of model railroading is thinking about it. When I'm reading or thinking about trains I don't ever think about work or other sources of stress. In terms of actual modeling my favorite part is building scenery. Whether it's natural scenery or buildings and roads, building the scene for the trains is my favorite part. The trains become an actor in the scene so to speak.
Corey
Prairie Trains Wrote:I agree with Steve Cheers When I show off the layout to adults that have never seen a model rail road before the consensuses is usually something along the lines that it is 3D art and not just playing with toys.

When my soon-to-be daughter in law visited, she was floored when she saw the layout...My son had told her I "did" trains, so I presume she thought the ol' Lionel on a table top was "trains". She couldn't get enough, and took more pictures of it to show her father than I've ever taken... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
The latest kick I get from the hobby is scratch building rolling stock, and spreading the model train bug.

By the way just what is wrong with a Lionel on a board? Wink All though Two rail flyer on a board is even better Icon_lol
I didn't mean to knock the Lionel on a table top...I happen to have one ....( as well as an AF) which both run on the floor...!!! 2285_
Gus (LC&P).
OK please don't ban me from this place but,...I never liked Lionel. Three rails ? I hope I am allowed to visit here every once in a while. It's been great knowing you guys.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Lester Perry Wrote:OK please don't ban me from this place but,...I never liked Lionel. Three rails ? I hope I am allowed to visit here every once in a while. It's been great knowing you guys.

Not to worry Lester,

The last 2 post were done in fun. My favorite trains are American flyer and other S scale trains with Lionel a close second. I have been known to run on the front porch now and then before I built the tables in the basement Icon_lol I have had trains from N up to G scale but am focusing on O and S scales with some On30 in for fun.
Lester Perry Wrote:OK please don't ban me from this place but,...I never liked Lionel. Three rails ? I hope I am allowed to visit here every once in a while. It's been great knowing you guys.
Yeah Les, worry not. We don't ban people for speaking their mind.... within reason that is... Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Say what you want about Lionel, but if I had saved what Lionel I had when I was a kid, I might have been able to retire in style. Icon_lol However, like most of us, I didn't do either... Nope Uhh, the same goes for those comic books I gave or threw away. :cry:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
AF350 Wrote:Not to worry Lester,

The last 2 post were done in fun. My favorite trains are American flyer and other S scale trains with Lionel a close second. I have been known to run on the front porch now and then before I built the tables in the basement Icon_lol I have had trains from N up to G scale but am focusing on O and S scales with some On30 in for fun.

I grew up on AF

[Image: ChildhoodRR1.jpg]

I have said before if I had the money and space I would switch to O today.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
NJ Devils Fan Wrote:I think my favorite part of model railroading is introducing people to the hobby. Seeing the look on their faces when they see that it's "not just a toy train"...priceless :o
To be honest, I've found that "grown-ups" are more amazed than the kids are.

Some of the best times ever, are when we set up the modular layouts at a Shopping Mall, without a whole lot of fanfare, and people coming to the Mall are surprised by what they see. The most common response from the public? " Wow,I thought model railroading" was all about toy trains."
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I am not sure which parts I like more.

I love model building. I love weathering.
I am sure there are other parts that would list as tangible.

The intangibles:

Conceptualizing. Researching. Sharing. The People (such as the crowd here). Engaging my kids in a creative activity.

I could probably go on and on about each bit of minutia, but I digress.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.