VERY crude experiment with turnout control.
I had a thought before I got out of bed this morning. Would this work with a slow rpm low torque motor to throw the turn out. Could you let the string wrap around a shaft? Just a thought.
Charlie
I'll leave that one to the more electrically and mechanically minded than myself. Smile
"between a half a pound to a full pound maybe"
Whoa! I think I would be worried about breaking the points over time or causing some major sagging in the layout causing a dip in the track over time as well. Extra bracing under the turnout was solve the latter of course.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Well, I guess I won't be getting that job at the "Guess your weight" booth at the circus! 35 I placed a hook on our kitchen scale and it came in at a quarter of a pound. Smile No worries about it warping the layout. My sub surface is 3/4 inch plywood. The points don't seemed strained by the weight holding them against the rail. I think I'm good here. Just went downstairs after work and threw the switch several times. I'll probably add more this weekend. Thumbsup

Ralph
Yeah I don't think a worry so much about a 1/4 pound ! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I installed a second barrel bolt control last night. Works great! I test them with a string of tyco cars with talgo trucks. If they don't derail on the turnout nothing will! It's going to take a while gradually converting every turnout, but it's satisfying to see the finished ones work without actually touching the track. Thumbsup
Ralph
This is great. I may use this on a few turnouts. I had planned on using Bullfrog turnout control from Fast Tracks they cost $3 each, but I can see that this might be just as effective, and maybe cheaper.
-Dave
Hi Dave,

I took a look at the Bull Frog system after you posted. They look good to me! I guess the advantage of their system is you get a nice looking rod control coming out of the fascia instread of hardware, and the turnout control mechanism is even less visible topside than the mechanism I'm using. Disadvantages include having to assemble the Bull Frog unit and it seems the control rod costs extra. My turnouts are costing $4.00 each with the price of the barrel bolt and the hook weight. I spent about ten bucks on fishing line but that will be spread over the cost of 20 turnouts...and I might be able to use the leftover line as telelgraph wire. Smile

Ralph
The Bullfrog uses control rods which were introduced for the R/C plane "industry". You can buy double the amount of rods for the same price if you buy them in the R/C section of your hobby shop... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
The third turnout was a challenge. When I first set this turnout in place years ago the throw bar was too long and snagged against the turnout next to it. I rashly cut the bar off! So....no throw bar to connect my fishline to! I ended up drilling holes inside the turnout and fashioned a small bent nail connection attached to the points. I'm a little worried the super glue might not hold it in place, but so far so good after a few hours and a few trials of switching the turnout. The up side is the mechanism is even more subtle on this one. I'll ponder painting the green line black or gray.

[Image: 001-1.jpg]

Here is how the fascia looks with three installed turnout controls.

[Image: 002-3.jpg]
Ralph Wrote:I took a look at the Bull Frog system after you posted. They look good to me! I guess the advantage of their system is you get a nice looking rod control coming out of the fascia instread of hardware... Disadvantages include having to assemble the Bull Frog unit and it seems the control rod costs extra.

Ralph Wrote:My turnouts are costing $4.00 each... that will be spread over the cost of 20 turnouts...

Ralph

This is why I was thinking that your mechanism might turn out cheaper overall...
-Dave
Ralph, you've just convinced me your system was interesting with your third turnout. Once painted, nothing will show out. Worship

As you pointed out, the hardware as the advantage to reproduce the way you would operate a switch in real life.

With PECO turnouts, I'm still convinced the best way is to use a piano wire in a push/pull way.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Ralph:
I'll just suggest that you take your time with the places where the string goes through holes. You'll want a nice smooth cut with no bits inside the hole.

Our RV has "day & night" shades that run up and down on cords and most of them now have frayed or worse strings. I've got replacement cord but I need a couple of nice warm days to work on it.

I've assembled a couple of the Bullfrog mechanisms; it's not difficult after you see how the first one goes together. The control rods come in yard lengths and can be cut down. The inner rod takes a 2-56 screw so you can try to make your own knobs. FT sells little packets of fixin's. The controls are nearly identical with (is it) Bluepoint.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Puddlejumper Wrote:This is great. I may use this on a few turnouts. I had planned on using Bullfrog turnout control from Fast Tracks they cost $3 each, but I can see that this might be just as effective, and maybe cheaper.

Dave,

On Fast Track's site, I see the Bullfrog Turnout Kit listed @ $6.00. Is the $3.00 that you mentioned an error or am I missing something?

Thanks, Mark
Quote:On Fast Track's site, I see the Bullfrog Turnout Kit listed @ $6.00. Is the $3.00 that you mentioned an error or am I missing something?

Thanks, Mark

Mark,
You are right. I can't imagine the Bullfrogs went up from $3 to $6 so it must have been my error. Perhaps I was looking at the control kits, which are around $3 and listed right below the Bullfrogs.

Dave
-Dave