DCC Installations
While I don't think I am klutz, would it make sense to hire a company or someone to install Dcc decoders for me? Any suggestions or aid is appreciated.
Stu, have you looked at these tutorials?
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=105">viewtopic.php?f=38&t=105</a><!-- l -->
I have not done a hard wire yet but I did 3 P2K PA1s with the MRC 1803 drop-in decoders. These took about 10 minutes for the first one and 5 minutes each for number 2 and 3. No soldiering involved.
I also added sound decoders to 3 Bachmann Sharks which took about 10 minutes each.
I was going to take some pictures but it was so easy I figured "why bother".
I'm sure if you have done any modeling at all you can do these yourself. I understand isolating the motor from the frame is about the hardest thing you will run into, and you may have to change a light bulb.
Charlie
If there dcc ready, there a breeze. If there not dcc ready well there a bit more work especially if your planning on adding sound. If there going into steam engines, super easy, just takes patience. I would suggest doing some reading and trying at least one install. If you get someone to do the install out of town your looking at install charges and shipping there and back which will cost.

These pics show a board and pin designation for a plugin.
[Image: liteboard2aj1.th.png]
[Image: decoderum6.th.png]
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Stu, I have hardwired an Athearn and a Proto 2000. While it might look hard, it really wasn't. If you have basic mechanical and soldiering skills, it is fairly easy. The hardest part for me was finding room for the decoder.
And, there are plenty of tutorials on the web, and people here to help. Give it a try. I had a ball doing mine !

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Thannks for the help and do I like the new guage! I am gertting back in the hobby after many years and my skills are rusty or is my "arthurrightis" worse?
i