Which tool??????
Which impliment of construction (or destruction) do you use the most when modeling??

I have a 2 lb brass hammer that seems to be used almost as much as my cordless drill... But the tool I use the most, for shaping wood, plastic and metal is my bench grinder.. I use the side of the wheel to do small modifications (shave) small pieces of wood. I use the edge (front) of the grinding wheel for metals and plastics.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Xacto knife, bar none use it on everything, and still not good enough to cut a straight line Icon_lol
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I have a 15" scroll saw that is very handy. I have made a fence and made my own dimension lumber, cut plastic, and even used it to cut the alloy weights for a locomotive.
It only has a 2 inch throat but that is often enough. It is good for cutting foam too.
Charlie
Dremel tool and Exacto knives....... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Got to say my favorite hobby tool that I use the most is Beer. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
My favorite hobby tool is Big Blue! Thumbsup
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:My favorite hobby tool is Big Blue! Thumbsup
Awwww, shucks... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
e-paw Wrote:Got to say my favorite hobby tool that I use the most is Beer. Cheers

Ditto... or a single malt 18 year old scotch. Depending on the mood and whether or not I plan to get anything really accomplished. Which would explain why I've been going through a lot of scotch lately! Confusedhock:

Wink
I don't consider beer a tool, but rather something that keeps me from getting stuff done Smile

If we are being that abstract, I would have to list my brain and my hands Icon_lol

But to stay closer on topic, I don't think anything I have gets used more than a simple x-acto blade.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
[Image: dasgewoehnlichechaos.jpg]

All that here - and how you can see - all the tools are well sorted in my daily creative chaos!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Bernhard,
A "Roll Top Chaos" Icon_lol Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup 2285_ 2285_

The only power tools I use are:
Drill press - for when it absolutely, positively, has to be exactly at the correct angle.
Unimat - for drilling, and milling a brass loco frame
Band Saw - came in handy for building the shipping crates for the Anniversary Tour Cars, and some of the scenery forms, on the modules.
Dremel - used most often for track work/ rail grinding.
Hand tools:
Three tool boxes full. One for all the regularly used tools, and the other two for the tools that only get used when and where needed, including some of the "modified " tools, that no longer serve their original purpose :o Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
It depends on what I am building. However since you did say the most used I would have to say a dremel and and one of my Good Ones (TM.) cut off disks. I say that because what I do mostly now is work on junking cars for my S scale to be junk yard and before that I was sctatching Brass steam locos and ALL cutting on both of these is done with a dremel and disk.
On buildings things change -=- there it would be an Exacto handle and an EXCEL Thumbsup blade . I find the Excel blade to be FAAAAAARR better than the Exacto, which breaks it point :x the second it touches any surface --even balsa! Shoot
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
X-acto followed by Sprue cutters and wire cutters

Matt

Oh, let's not forget the workbench. I have to have some place to hit my head over and over again Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Matt

Oh, let's not forget the workbench. I have to have some place to hit my head over and over again Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang[/quote]

No -No -No Matt! NOT the bench -- you will screw up a unset glue joint!!! Do like I do, keep a wood mallet handy -- a couple of sharp raps with it and you're good to go! 2285_
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Dave,

I never thought about that. I will have to change my ways!!

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.