Woodland Scenery
A couple of years ago, when I was working on an O scale diorama, I came up with a new method of doing woodland scenery typical to the eastern/midwestern US…This method yields fairly good results IMHO, & more importantly, adheres to my overall model railroading credo of “cheap, fast, & easy!

I’ve aways enjoyed doing eastern woodland-type scenery typical of where I live in Kentucky, & typical of the Appalachian foothills…

On previous layouts, I’ve used the tried & true method of using Woodland Scenics Poly-Fiber balls covered with ground foam…This worked well, especially when I was modeling in N scale. But when I started on the O scale diorama, I felt like I really needed something different…

One evening, I was doing some “honey-do” chores, washing the dishes, & I kept thinking, “Wonder if I could do something with those plastic dish-scouring pads…?”

So here’s what I came up with…

I can buy these things at the local grocery in packages of 6 for about 75 cents…Each package will yield in the neighborhood of 50 (give or take) large clumps of foliage…

[Image: trees1.jpg]

These things are just long strips of plastic mesh rolled into a ball…I can cut them with scissors, & unroll them, then I cut a piece roughly the size of my hand, & then just kind of pull it & tease it into a random shaped “clump” about 15 -20 feet in diameter (HO scale)

[Image: trees2-1.jpg]

Then I spray them with cheap flat black spray paint (this HAS to be FLAT black, not gloss) I get the paint at Wal-Mart for a buck & some change per can…After I paint a bunch of ‘em, I let them dry for at least a couple of hours…

[Image: trees2.jpg]

After they’re dry, I hit them with some 3M spray adhesive, & roll them in some ground foam (medium coarse)

[Image: trees3.jpg]
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
The next ingredient I throw into this mix are various dried weeds & flowers from the back yard (or wherever else I might find them) I use things such as crepe myrtle, seedum, spirea, & some of the very hralthy crop of weeds we have in the flower beds every year!

[Image: DSCF3921.jpg]

I hit these with the spray adhesive also, & sprinkle on some ground foam…

[Image: DSCF3922.jpg]

Here’s where I’m going to plant my “forest”…I have painted the scenic base & added some ground cover, & I’ve cut some toothpicks in half, & stuck them in randomly into the foam base…

[Image: prog19-17.jpg]

I put a dollop of white glue onto each toothpick, & then add the clumps of scouring pad foliage…

[Image: prog39-17.jpg]

Then I add the dried weeds in among the clumps of foliage (I make sure to include some bare trees here & there)…I plant them by punching a hole in the foam base with a nail, putting a drop of white glue on the base of each “tree”, & planting it…I think the end result is a fairly good representation of a wooded area…

[Image: dscf3847.jpg]
-Drew-
Nice, I like that. That gives me an idea for a barren area on my layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I remember trying this along time ago when you first presented your method and it never worked for me then, I think I should try it again. Icon_lol
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Thanks Drew for that detailed tutorial about making trees howto.
Is it the kind of technique you used for the trees on your nice "Photo Diorama" thread ?
I have to admit that trees making are the weakest spot in my railroad modeler abilities.
I can make Woodland Scenics trees using plastic trunks + clump foliage or make conifers from scouring pads, but for whatever reason I'm unable to use natural materials, even if I collected a few weeds samples.

Jacques
Thanks for the comments guys!

Lynn,
Sorry it didn’t work for you…was there a particular problem you experienced?

Jacques,
As you can see in those photos, my individual trees don’t look that great either…but if you’re modeling a forest or wooded area, you don’t have to model every single tree…you just have to make it LOOK like there are a lot of them…
And yes…this is the method I used on the diorama, as well as the last layout I built…I plan to use it on my current layout as well…if I ever get to the scenery stage…
-Drew-
I don't recall the problem I had now Drew, but I will be trying it again .
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Drew Wrote:I think the end result is a fairly good representation of a wooded area…

Fairly good? I'd say it's excellent! In some ways it would be nice to be able to just buy all trees ready-made, but that gets expensive, and I think it's also a lot less interesting than the look you get when you make your own.

cheers
Val