Using Locks on Switches While Operating
Months ago I had toyed with the idea of putting locks on my manual turn-out controls, especially those coming off the mainline. I thought it might be a nice touch for the crews to have to unlock and lock the turnouts during operations. I asked my railroad buddies Aaron and Nathan what they thought, and they didn't like the idea, thinking it would detract from the operating fun rather than adding to it.

Now that I have read Mindheim's book on operations, I am again considering adding the locks. So, just wondering what the rest of you think. As an operator, would having to unlock/lock the turnouts add value to the session? Or would it simply be tedious?
I think that's going a little too far for the sake of "realism".... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Might help to slow things down if you find the operators are rushing through. A friend who has regular operating sessions with crew of 2 insists that the brakeman be given time to "walk" back to the engine after throwing the switch manually.

Andrew
It sounds to me like this is part of the social side of operations -- I wouldn't want the extra hassle when I just operate by myself, and in fact the guys I know, who aren't all that enthusiastic about operating, wouldn't like it. If you have a group that's looking for something like that, then fine. On the whole, though, it sounds too much like work!
I would like to have the option of using locks on the switches. There might be times when I want just to get a switch job done (therefor as an option) but usually I take my time switching.
Reinhard
April Fools was yesterday Gary! Smile Seriously, I think I'd enjoy the novelty of unlocking switches about twice and then grow weary of it.
Looks to be almost 100% against so far. In Mindheim's book, he recommends using locks on the fascia for turnouts, and even at locations with gates over the tracks.

I'm thinking one of the benefits may be that it would encourage the crews to align the turnouts back to the main when leaving industry areas so that through trains don't get surprised with turnouts thrown the wrong way.
I think you'd tire of this very quickly. In my opinion, it's taking things to the extreme when it isn't really necessary. If your crews are operating too fast, forgetting to set switches back to normal position, etc. - just do like I do and smack them on the back of the head!

A simple set of operating instructions that your crews can read over before the operating session stipulating such things as maximum speeds, taking the time to unlock switches, derails, open gates, wait a few seconds for the brakeman to walk from here to there, flag such and such a crossing and any other special instructions you want to include, should be all you'd need.

Once of Lance's latest gimmicks was to install faucet handles on his fascia at one industry to simulate applying and releasing the hand brakes on cars. Might be fun once or twice and is certainly a novel idea, but your crews would probably find it rather annoying in short order; especially since those faucet handles don't have a quick release like the prototype hand brakes. Having to actually handle a small lock at every switch would have the same effect. Maybe at one important location, such as the entrance to a main track would be okay and might even add to the operational interest, but I'd hold it to just one location.

If you really want to slow things down then make your brakeman/conductor walk around the room until he's covered the actual distance he's supposed to be walking. A little tongue in cheek here, but just making the point that you can take this to the extreme. Having spent years doing this stuff for real, I just want to enjoy operating the train in a realistic fashion, but not make every operating session feel like I was going to work. I find that just operating at scale speeds and waiting a few seconds between moves results in switching times close to what you'd really encounter, but without over doing it.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I think the crew will find a way around it.
Like the "hot box" shock detector car that John Allen built -- he used a ball bearing on a track that would turn on a light if the crew shifted the car too quickly. Crew found that the ball bearing could be removed when John's attention was elsewhere.

The lock might be enforced if you made it electric -- a key needs to be inserted to change a switch.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I appreciate everyone's comments. Thumbsup

There are about 42 turnouts on my layout, but only 19 of them come from the main. Only the ones on the main would have locks. I've got an ops session on April 22nd... I think I'll install a couple of locks in strategic locations for now, let the crews use them, and see what the crews think. From the reaction here at Big Blue, it won't surprise me if they don't like them!

As for finding a way around them, the only way would be to unlock and remove the lock on the first pass through, and then not put the lock back on and ignore them for the remainder of the session. With my manual control knobs on the fascia, they would be physically locked out and unable to move with the lock in place. I would put a hasp behind the wood knob and it would lock to a ring on the fascia, preventing the knob from moving:

Sounds like a very sensible compromise.

If you find that you (or your operators) hate the locks, it is easy enough not to put them back on again. And they should slow down using turnouts on the main, and emphasize that the turnout should be lined back to normal and locked when you are through the turnout.

Smile,
Stein
Stein, that's what I'm thinking on giving the mainline added prominence. The local crews have to be aware of the through trains coming behind them, so the locks may be a way to insure they don't leave a turnout in the wrong position. It isn't really my intention to slow the crews down, as the size of the layout itself adds plenty of time to the local trains.

We'll test it out on April 22nd.
Gary S Wrote:Looks to be almost 100% against so far. In Mindheim's book, he recommends using locks on the fascia for turnouts, and even at locations with gates over the tracks.

I'm thinking one of the benefits may be that it would encourage the crews to align the turnouts back to the main when leaving industry areas so that through trains don't get surprised with turnouts thrown the wrong way.

Gary,

I like the idea of the lock where there's a gate over the tracks. Maybe you could start there and see how it is received.

The other thing you could do for turnouts left in the wrong position, etc, is what our club does (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotrak.ca">www.hotrak.ca</a><!-- w -->). Institute a fine box. It is easy to fine people a nominal amount for turnouts left incorrectly, derailments, bad track on their module(s), bad car orders, etc. We generate enough revenue this way over the course of the operating season that the Treasurer actually has a dedicated line item to the income! Wink

Andrew
I've read Lance's book. Enjoyed it completely.

My take is that Lance wants to get the most "play" out of his layout and switch locks (as well as other gadgets) are a means to that end. In the space he has (200-300 square feet), most of us would try to run 5-10 trains and have 4-8 operators for a session. Lance on the other hand only runs a single train with a two man crew. He probably has less than 20 turnouts, more like 10-15. His longer sessions may be to drop off 5-6 cars and pickup a like number. His layout does not have a yard racing to keep pace with a main action.
My point being that the Switch Locks add to the experiance of his layout...

Owners of other small layouts have followed a similar path. Trevor Marshall wrote an RMC article about slowing down operations on his On2 slate quarry layout. Trevor use locking switches to control his turnouts. He also proposed paperwork to slow down the process. On his new S-scale layout, Trevor is taking similar steps. See this entry on his blog:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/?p=742">http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/?p=742</a><!-- m -->

On layouts designed to be operated at a slow pace, I think the locking turnouts would be fun to operate. Anyone have some I can come operate?
However on layouts designed for a faster pace (multiple trains, contious running on many routes, etc..), I agree the locks be hindersom. But unlocking for
show times is always an option....

As a crew member of a layout, I'd try to enact the vision of the layout owner....If that's lock on the mainline turnouts...Great!
Yeah, i'm not sure locking turnouts make sense. Unless there is a legitimate reason (such as preventing fouling of the mainline), i think it just unnecessary. However, its a personal preference thing, do what works for you.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]