Poll: What lights your fire?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1- model building
22.58%
7 22.58%
2- scene building
32.26%
10 32.26%
3- loco/rolling stock building
9.68%
3 9.68%
4- operations
25.81%
8 25.81%
5- dioramas
0%
0 0%
6- collecting
3.23%
1 3.23%
7- has to be a full blown layout or I'm outta here
6.45%
2 6.45%
8- track planning
0%
0 0%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What lights your fire
model railroad speaking of course Goldth . I exchanged PM's with Pete awhile back and I mentioned I really don't care all that much about model building in and of itself. If that was all I wanted I would have stuck with military and hot rod car dioramas. What keeps me going back into the train room is taking the models I do build and putting them together to create a (hopefully Icon_lol ) realistic scene that I can THEN run a train thru. Yes I do operate the train in a prototype manner from time to time and designed the layout for that purpose but that alone won't keep me in the hobby. I don't collect or get into track planning or non-operating dioramas. It's scene building/modeling that lights my fire, what lights yours. If your choice isn't in the poll please post what it is. Thank you!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tried ops a couple of times and maybe it was the people running the sessions , maybe I just don't appreciate it, but it was like watching paint dry ....only slower . Lots of folks like it so that's a good thing . Gimme scratch building , models , weathering/building rolling stock , etc. any day ! Goldth

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Boy, a real tossup between model and scenery building. I enjoy them both but if I had to choose, it would be models... Scratchbuilt, kitbash or out of the box, I love them all....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Interesting. It took me a while to decide what really appeals to me...and then it occurred to me that I like creating overall scenes...they might not be masterfully detailed but they convey a sense of what they are supposed to be, whether its a grimy looking steel mill complex or lots of silos and chutes at a grain elevator.

Ralph
I voted for Operations but I probably should explain that. I've never taken part in an operating session but -- what I do like to do most on my two small layouts -- is to run trains. I'm basically "lone-wolfing" it but I do try to run them in a fairly prototypical manner.

I do enjoy building and tweaking layouts, fixing problems, and I am a collector of sorts, although I don't simply collect for the sake of collecting. I use & run everything I collect (I don't quite "get" collectors who simply hoard away boxes and boxes of mint locos with only a few on display).

I do enjoy constructing buildings and assembling kits, but running (I would say "operating" whereas my wife would say I'm "playing trains"!) is what keeps me going.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I vote for 1,2,&3 .I've had one to many modelers that seem to think model operations are a real job.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Since my answer is "all of it", depending on the particular project of the moment, I cannot just "pick one" for your poll.
Running trains. The rest of them are just a means to get nice trains to run.
I have run both freight shuffling and passenger train scheduling. Both are fun as long as you get along with the rest of the crew.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Running trains. The rest of them are just a means to get nice trains to run.
I have run both freight shuffling and passenger train scheduling. Both are fun as long as you get along with the rest of the crew.

I agree -- well said, David!
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I like taking old school locomotives and getting them running well again...nothing quite like getting a 50+ year old motor exhaling ozone...

[Image: Achristmas06c.jpg]
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Were it possible, I'd vote for the first four - probably the main reason that I'm so far behind in what I want to accomplish. Misngth 35 Misngth

Wayne
"Were it possible, I'd vote for the first four - probably the main reason that I'm so far behind in what I want to accomplish. "

HAH! I'm 10 years behind on a 5 year layout project. Wallbang
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
For me its all about operation..

I really never did like the building facets of the hobby other then what it take to finish the layout.

As a example once I start Slate Creek should be up and running in about 2 days.The scenery will be added as projects starting with roads,then adding some trees,vehicles,figures and so on over several weeks since these are what I call "mood" projects.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The results kind of suprise me. I figured #1 would win by a landslide with #'s 3 and 5 fighting for second. #5 getting no votes at all is really suprising. Also it's good to see #4 come in second. I thought #8 would probably be last so it's about the only one I got right I guess.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Maybe "dioramas" and "scene building " are looked upon similarly ?

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.