When did railroads start using diesel engine block heaters?
I am considering forgoing my engine house for an open air engine storage. I was just wondering when railroads started using them.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I would imagine that for a short line railroad, electric engine block heaters may have been a very early development. For a small railroad it would not have been economical to leave a locomotive idling between uses nor would it have been acceptable to drain the radiator after each use, and refill it before the next use. Unless they used antifreeze in the radiators. For a large railroad, a class one, it was common practice until perhaps 20 years ago to just leave the units running all the time, especially during winter. This prevented the engine blocks from freezing in winter, as antifreeze was not used in the radiators of locomotives. It is also difficult to start a cold diesel engine, especially one THAT big. The engine block heaters used nowadays are APUs, or auxiliary power units. They have temperature sensors and sensors that monitor the state of the batteries that detect when to start the main diesel to keep it from freezing, as well as the ability to circulate the coolant to keep it warm in winter, and charge the batteries. They start up and shut down as needed.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dave
-Dave
Thanks for the info. I'm modelling a New England short line in 1979 and am trying to decide if I can fit an engine house on the layout.. I might forgo the engine house so that I can fit an aggregate company in there.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:.. I might forgo the engine house so that I can fit an aggregate company in there.
Sounds good to me! Thumbsup
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Mike Kieran Wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm modelling a New England short line in 1979 and am trying to decide if I can fit an engine house on the layout.. I might forgo the engine house so that I can fit an aggregate company in there.

MR had an article some years back on the "minimalist" engine house for that era of road. It was a basic metal-sided garage with roll-up doors on each end, and just enough room to squeeze the engine in for the night. It looked as if you'd have to walk on the engine walk-ways if you wanted to go from one end to the other...! A small lean-to office was attached at one corner. Engine was fueled from a tanker truck that would pull up next to the office.

EDIT - Kind of like this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://irishwaterways.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/the-engine-shed_resize.jpg">http://irishwaterways.files.wordpress.c ... resize.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Or here's a model one - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/3263">http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/3263</a><!-- m -->

Andrew
Mike Kieran Wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm modelling a New England short line in 1979 and am trying to decide if I can fit an engine house on the layout.. I might forgo the engine house so that I can fit an aggregate company in there.

I imagine a small short line might put antifreeze in the radiator, since it would be economical to do so. The assumption could be that the engine house is on the unmodeled portion of the railroad. Or a small spur, with a crew shack (with wood stove), small tool house, and electric cord to plug in the loco when not being used. Sounds quite justifiable to me.

Dave
-Dave
I am going to favour the argument in favour of a small engine shed for the shortline's diesel loco.

I know from my railroad reading that New England winters can be damn cold, and snowy so I figure that doing Daily Inspections and routine maintenance procedures outside would be beyond a joke after the first few times.

A diesel loco is a big capital investment for a shortline so protecting it from the weather, and undesirables, as well as providing somewhere to store all the bits and pieces that go with it would be considered prudent.
Another point to consider about servicing the loco is when the job is going to take more than one shift to do. A job is a lot easier when you can just leave everything laid out and pick it up in the morning, rather than pack up make safe and secure and then start all over again in the morning.

Think about what it is like to have to do something on your car when you dont have a garage to work in and then scale up to a loco that needs daily attention.

Also just how long has the shortline been running? Did it operate during the days of steam? Shortlines would often ensure a steam loco was safely secured at night. Was it a class one cast off.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
The Penn Central leaves most of its locos outside at Kings Port where there is a small engine house but not enough room for all of the power. Just a little bit of silliness if you click on the photo/video below. [Image: th_001-13.jpg]

The GP9 with the partial NYC lettering is an old rubber band drive unit I bought at a flea market for $5.00. The rubber bands were dried out so the motor runs w/o moving the loco. Kind of fun to sit it in place at the engine yard and let it rumble. I'll probably make a dummy out of it later. Cool NYC hearalds on the noses and magnetic couplers made it worth buying to me.
[url][/url]
Mr Fixit Wrote:I am going to favour the argument in favour of a small engine shed for the shortline's diesel loco.

I know from my railroad reading that New England winters can be damn cold, and snowy so I figure that doing Daily Inspections and routine maintenance procedures outside would be beyond a joke after the first few times.

A diesel loco is a big capital investment for a shortline so protecting it from the weather, and undesirables, as well as providing somewhere to store all the bits and pieces that go with it would be considered prudent.
Another point to consider about servicing the loco is when the job is going to take more than one shift to do. A job is a lot easier when you can just leave everything laid out and pick it up in the morning, rather than pack up make safe and secure and then start all over again in the morning.

Think about what it is like to have to do something on your car when you dont have a garage to work in and then scale up to a loco that needs daily attention.

Also just how long has the shortline been running? Did it operate during the days of steam? Shortlines would often ensure a steam loco was safely secured at night. Was it a class one cast off.

Mark

I would love to use an engine house, but I have no place to put it. Here’s my layout. http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=5332
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I nearly built a from a plan years ago where the designer observed that the engines shed concealed your locos. He suggested just building a flat with the doors in it and putting enough track outside to display locos.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Mr Fixit Wrote:I am going to favour the argument in favour of a small engine shed for the shortline's diesel loco.

Mark

Mark,The majority of shortlines are penny operations at best and won't waste money on the fancier things like engine houses and fueling pad.
Some short lines store their engine inside of a rail served industry that has indoor rail docks or their transload warehouse.

The stronger shortlines could have a new metal or concrete engine house.

NS has a local based out of Marion-there is no engine house same applies to CSX Marion yard operation.

Why?
Engine houses cost money to maintain and a diesel doesn't really need to be kept inside.

All that is requires is a small metal cabinet with a electrical outlet to house the power cord for the block heater.

After steam was dead railroads closed and razed enginehouses that once served branchline locomotives since they was no longer needed.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
What Larry is saying is true. I figure that this would be a less than 1000 car per year operation, so yeah, I guess that it would be a bare bones short line. I would like an engine house, but I have no space for one on the layout.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Rix Products makes a pretty reasonably priced single stalled engine. It can be modified for any length. Comes with a lean-too type office that can be left off.
Here's a pic of mine. I used another one to make an enclosed loading dock area.

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I have that kit. Great model. I just don't have space for a turnout and a length of track for an engine house.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Ed,That's a prime example of a engine house a stronger short line would use-a prefab building that is easy and cheap to maintain.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!