Building the NM&RC
Ever since we bought our house last summer, we've been playing around with the idea of building a garden railroad in the back yard. Well, one year has passed, and the construction of the NM&RC (Northern Meadow & Reverend Creek, a loose translation of the names of our property and the small stream running by) is under way!

Here's an overview of our back yard, pics taken June 1st before construction began:

Southeast side, looking southwest. The scars from an excavator visiting last year are still clearly visible:
[Image: 2366_w1200.jpg]

Southwest side, looking northwest. The old deck will be removed and a new one put in:
[Image: 2367_w1200.jpg]

Same side, looking the other direction:
[Image: 2368_w1200.jpg]

In the west corner, we plan to have a sitting area under the tree, maybe with a BBQ or an open fireplace, with the track running by on a high curved trestle on the outside:
[Image: 2371_w1200.jpg]

Svein
On July 1st we got a visit from the importer of the Roundhouse live steam engines, as he wanted an "inspection" of the proposed land area to be expropriated by the railroad. He also brought along a very exiting package for us! 2285_ :

[Image: 2382_w1200.jpg]

The "Leek & Manifold" is a huge beast, and something quite else than the small "Billy" we originally ordered, but he gave us a very good offer that we couldn't refuse. Along with the engine, we also got some track and turnouts.

Svein
To prevent the whole project from becoming to overwhelming, we opted to build the layout in several stages. The first phase is a peanut shaped oval with a diagonal reversing track, measuring around 10 x 3.5 meters. Here are some pics from the construction process the last four weeks:

The track plan was transferred from the computer using X and Y coordinates and a tape measure, and marked with spray paint. Steel poles were driven into the ground, and posts of 2" by 2" bolted to these, using a level to ensure correct height for all the posts:
[Image: 2385_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2391_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2393_w1200.jpg]

For extra protection, we used drainage pipes outside the posts, since the whole area will later be landfilled up to track level:
[Image: 2406_w1200.jpg]

On top of the posts come the subroadbed for the track, this is how far we have come by this evening:

[Image: 2410_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2421_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2426_w1200.jpg]

Svein
Great progress and well thought out! Looking forward to updates. Seems like you'll be moving a lot of dirt to grade up to track level. Do you have access to a Bobcat? Smile I really like your locomotive. Thumbsup
Ralph
Looks like fun. 2285_ Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
That looks great so far Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Just curious... why are you filling the area up to track level rather than following the natural terrain?
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:Just curious... why are you filling the area up to track level rather than following the natural terrain?
And how will you hold the fill at the slope side? Do you plan a wall?
Reinhard
Thanks guys! Smile

Ralph:
It's all going to be manual labor the hard way. I haven't done the math and figured out just how much dirt we need yet, but it's not as bad as it looks. The roadbed is all level, and the height above ground varies from 30cm in front of the deck to around 60cm at the far curve. There's also going to be a water feature somewhere in there, reducing the need for landfill in that area, and we plan to use some bigger rocks for cliffs and mountains along the center line (that's the part I dread...).

Dave and Reinhard:
We were recommended a raised trackbed to ease the maintenance later on, as well as providing a comfortable working height when firing up the engine. As the layout expands, there will also be some areas on ground level for variety.

As the layout becomes operational, we plan to redo all the surrounding areas as well, rip up the lawn and replace it with walkways and smaller flower beds. There will be a low stone wall all around the railroad area, with a planted ridge leading up to the tracks. At the slope side, we will probably dig into the slope and make a higher wall at some areas, to make it easier to reach the track and view the trains up close at a comfortable height.

The slope around the exposed posts will remain in some way or another. These posts are only temporary to provide continuous running, and will be replaced by a trestle.

Svein
I see. The tracks will be running on a filled bank (like a levee). I assumed you plan to raise the terrain in general up to the track level.
Reinhard
Yes, kinda like a levee when viewed from the outside. Everything inside the oval (except the trestle area) will be raised accordingly, and maybe one area raised high enough to fit in a short tunnel.

Anyway, that's the idea. The landscaping part is subject to change, we haven't decided in detail yet. All we know is that there will be a water feature in there somewhere, a small pond with maybe a watermill or a fountain. We got a lot of inspiration from Mark Found's Garden Railway series on Youtube.

Svein
I wish I had the land for something like that. That is just awesome.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
:o :o 357 357 There is nothing like a small layout in the basement, and THAT really is "nothing like a small layout in the basement" 357 357 :o :o
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Warm and sunny weather here today, and the framework was finished just in time for the weekend.

Always a good idea to let the pros handle the heavy equipment Wink :
[Image: 2428_w1200.jpg]

All kidding aside, with almost 280 screws for the top boards alone, we took turns to save our backs. Figure we must have use around 800 screws in total for the framework.

Next step now is to cover all the framework with roofing felt, then the tracklaying can begin. Here are some pics of the finished framework:
[Image: 2429_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2430_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2431_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2432_w1200.jpg]

Svein
That looks so well construtced! Nice job. Kudos to the professional! Smile