41st Street & 2nd Avenue Brooklyn NY (NYCHRR)
Hurray!!! The first run is done 2285_
Reinhard
Thanks, i'm pretty happy with it but it has it's spotty sections. Some spots run better in reverse than forward periodically, it's weird.
That's looking vey nice, I love that scene. I had considered using that rail for some street trackage on my layout, decided against it out of concern of derailments. I don't want to go the Proto 87 route and get the idea the Kadee and some other brand wheelsets I can't recall at the moment that I use may not be consistent enough to operate well. They would probably be fine on straight and curved track but I was concerned with turnouts and crossings. The very nice look would not be worth it if I had to deal with derailmants all the time! Will you be installing turnouts, and are you doing anything special with your wheelsets? While mine works well I have not installed pavement, still thinking I might upgrade to this track someday. I look forward to seeing how you make out.
I haven't changed any of the wheel sets they're all orginal. I'm not doing any switches since this was my first attempt at hand laying track and there really aren't any switches that were in use along 2nd ave between 41st & 39th st. so I chose not to do any turnouts.
That photo of the proto is one of my favourites and you are doing a fine job of recreating it . Thumbsup

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Thanks, definitely means a lot coming from the guy who scratch built Ebbets Field Worship
I dont know why but my track/wiring is so inconsistent, I have feeders on every other section of track, each section is soldered together and theres still random dead spots. I'll run the train forward with no problems, then in reverse it stops and goes in certain spots and then when I it run back forward it'll hit the same spots and stop and go. But the dead spots are completely random, sometimes 3 or 4 runs in both directions and it's smooth without any problems and then it starts to act up. I've cleaned the track and lightly filed off any glue and extra solder on the tops and in the grooves of the rails. It's really annoying me. Wallbang
Did you carefully clean the wheels of the engine and did you try another engine?
Can you test the engine(s) on a flex track or some sectional tracks?
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Did you carefully clean the wheels of the engine and did you try another engine?
Can you test the engine(s) on a flex track or some sectional tracks?

Yes and I ran 3 different engines on the soldered stretch of track and also a length of about 8 feet of ez track and they run along the ez track fine
Maybe i'll put a feeder on each section, but that means i have to go back to radio shack and im not in the mood today.
Very nice..I always did like street running.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
It should be OK if you've soldered/wired every other section . I was going to suggest a cold solder joint but you say the power outages are random ....puzzling . Clean the wheels , as was already suggested , and reclean the track ....don't see how it can't work .

We had a problem with one of the field lights on the Ebbets Field ball park . One bulb would light up , then fade slowly , then go out ....took about 2 days to figure that it was a cold solder connection ( not enough heat ) ...it looked OK but wouldn't conduct electricty properly .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
I'll try cleaning everything again, if it doesn't work I guess i'll just have a feeder on every section. I don't want to start the Smooth-it for the streets until i get the track working better.
Rscott417 Wrote:I'll try cleaning everything again, if it doesn't work I guess i'll just have a feeder on every section. I don't want to start the Smooth-it for the streets until i get the track working better.
Did I get that right, we are talking about the single track diorama, right? How many rails sections did you use to form that track and how did you connect them mechanical and electrical?
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Did I get that right, we are talking about the single track diorama, right? How many rails sections did you use to form that track and how did you connect them mechanical and electrical?

Yes same diorama. 12 sections on both sides held down by loctite glue and soldered together
Rscott417 Wrote:...and soldered together
12 sections * two rails + 2 feeder = 22 points of solder + 2 feeder = 24 connections
I wonder how short the rails are you use. However, should be easy to check with a multimeter or a simple bulb if you have bad soldering. And put some stress on the soldered connections it case of bad soldering.
Reinhard