New Memeber....
Well hello everyone,

I joined to shout out at Frank, He'll know who he is! I thought I'd say alittle about myself here....

My right name is John, I model the B&O and Western Maryland in the late steam era, early diesel era, and I have a business that relates to the train world, of, custom work and repairs. I work on everything from N scale, to G scale.

I customize anything and everything brought to me....

Anyway, over a span of time, you all will see the type work I do!

With that said, I'll add something here:

[Image: BOT5500006.jpg]

[Image: BOT5500008.jpg]

Enjoy, and yeah, it'll be great, to be here! :hey:
~John AKA "Yellowstone" OR "EM-1"
Hi and Welcome ... We could always use another steam head here...post up some more pics, please.. Big Grin
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Welcome aboard!! Nice work too!!! I agree, don't be shy about showing your work Smile Smile
I model in 1:20.3 myself.. an indoor layout.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Welcome Welcome
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Hello John, nice to see your work. We will be looking for more.
Charlie
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2638">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2638</a><!-- l -->
Thanks everyone!

That locomotive you see that I posted, its a B&O "T" class, odd, no number it is a model of the first B&O "Mountain" 4-8-2, anyone know what it was built from? (Yes, its an HO scale model) I built, custom made, and custom painted)

So then.....you wanna see pictures? OMG.........Wheres frank when I need him, he's seen alot from me so... But anyway....you guys, look in the HO scale section, and you'll see!
Welcome John, glad to have you aboard. As you probably have found out already, we love pictures here, so post about what you have and what you're planning on doing.

Welcome Welcome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Welcome Welcome John ! 2285_ Cheers

B&O, and C&O both have some good looking steam locos, I like the tender on that "mountain". Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter,
Thanks for the warm boiler heated welcome! Smile You will find that I am very fond of the bigger, much bigger steamers.....I am fond of all the B&O articulated and Mallet steamers, I favor them quite a bit, and then to add to it, I also model the Western Maryland as well....I'm working on 3 Western Maryland, M-2 "Challengers" as well as the M-1's, and the L class Articulateds....

And to add to it, I'm working on so much, you'll all get to see over time.....

The more steamer fanatics, the better!
Big Grin Big Grin I also like the "small" articulated locos. . .
This one is an outside frame, 3' gauge, 2-4-4-2. It started as a Roundhouse 2-8-0 kit, with an extra frame, and drivers.

The Challengers ( 4-6-6-4 ) were a beautiful series of locos. the 4-8-8-4's ? I've never really been impressed by the "Big Boys".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter,
Impressive work on the little 2-4-4-2. I just traded one of those that was a Akane/Gem model in brass, for a couple Spectrum steamers.... Altho the one I had, was a kit, in kit form, never built and the guy that had it before me, had a few parts soldered in backwards, or upside down! LOL

Anyway, I too am fond of the little Mallets....I say Mallet as it was not an Articulated as it is known....(I won't go into the difference between the 2)

B&O DD-1, 0-6-6-0 "Erie" Old Maude AMERICA's first Mallet steam locomotive. It at this time is uncomplete, as I have to get a few details for it, BUT the boiler is being made to fit a Mantua frame....I will also be adding ALOT of brass detail to this unit, to make it a replica as Godly possible.... In the pictures, the motor is just sitting there for now till I have the firebox made to fit around it.

[Image: BODD-17000000.jpg]

I do however need to find a set of cylinders like on the one you built as the rear set of cylinders on my 0-6-6-0 needs to be the slide valve type, not piston valve type as it is!

[Image: BODD-17000001.jpg]

:mrgreen:
e-paw Wrote:Hi and Welcome ... We could always use another steam head here...post up some more pics, please.. Big Grin

E=paw, nice to see you here.....Say hello to your dad for me "Frank" He, is why I'm here!

Also, yes, its GREAT to be amoungst a buncha steam heads......

I might add, GREAT work on the Camelbacks, I'm looking to build a 2-8-0 myself....in B&O!
EM-1_7600 Wrote:Anyway, I too am fond of the little Mallets....I say Mallet as it was not an Articulated as it is known....(I won't go into the difference between the 2)

Sent you a PM, if you want, "go into the difference" in your reply, or in this thread.
Pete
EM-1_7600 Wrote:I do however need to find a set of cylinders like on the one you built as the rear set of cylinders on my 0-6-6-0 needs to be the slide valve type, not piston valve type as it is!

Interesting that they had piston valve and slide valve motion on the same locomotive. I wonder how that affected the front and rear engines working together? I am currently reading a book that you steam heads would enjoy, called Set Up Running, The Life of a Pennsylvania Railroad Engineman. In it, the author goes into how his dad, the man who the book is about, went into detail about the differences in how the engines he operated with piston valve and slide valve motion. It is not a technical book about steam locomotives, but there is a lot of interesting info on how the engines were run and used.

As for the Articulated Vs. Mallet, I believe the main difference is that the Mallets (pronounced Malley or Mallay) are compound locomotives, they use their steam twice. Typically they used steam in the rear engine in the smaller, high pressure, cylinders... then the steam was piped to the front engine, superheated again, and used in the larger, low pressure, cylinders, before being exhausted. As a result you only got 4 chuffs per revolution of the drivers, like a regular steamer, because you only hear the front engine exhausting to the smokebox, as opposed to a simple articulated which would have 8 chuffs per revolution of the drivers since both engines were exhausting their steam to the smokebox and the atmosphere.

Dave
-Dave

There had to be a good reason for it ( slide valves on the lead engine ), and for the omission of a pilot truck, It would seem to make better sense to have had, at least, a pilot truck.
Then again, might have been a pair of 0-6-0 frames that were used, hence the different valves, and the absence of pilot, and trailing trucks ( frames not compatible with the suspension parts needed for those trucks ) :?: Popcornbeer

Still, an interesting locomotive..... Wink and it should be an interesting model project. Cheers