Old Structures
Wow. Some great pictures here.

I really like the abandoned silo sites.

They kinda remind of old mythical castle remains. Where many a great siege had taken place, where soldiers fought and died defending or attacking their very gates. Yet for some reason over time the inhabitants seemly fled or just simply vanished leaving their stronghold abandoned a long time ago.

Or...At one time trains delivered strings of loaded grain hoppers to drop off their cargo for storage. However, either due to, or a combination of social, economic, government or industry changes the silos lost their practicality and out grew their usefulness. Now they sit silently awaiting demolition.

Personally...I like the first story better. Tongue Big Grin
MountainMan Wrote:Those elevators look weirdly like German WWII submarine pens, or the U-boat factory at Farge near Bremen. Confusedhock:

hmm,maybe a secret U.S submarine pen? testing some unknown weapon of WWII,you know they kept ALOT of stuff secret back then Big Grin --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Bigsteel Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Those elevators look weirdly like German WWII submarine pens, or the U-boat factory at Farge near Bremen. Confusedhock:

hmm,maybe a secret U.S submarine pen? testing some unknown weapon of WWII,you know they kept ALOT of stuff secret back then Big Grin --josh

Maybe they were building submarines on Lake Erie, but I bet watching them try to get out to sea past Niagara Falls would be really fun. Probably not a lot of fun for the crew, though! The first pic of those silos seems to show snow on the ground. I suspect that the photos were taken in winter when the grain harvest was still months away.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Maybe they were building submarines on Lake Erie, but I bet watching them try to get out to sea past Niagara Falls would be really fun. Probably not a lot of fun for the crew, though! The first pic of those silos seems to show snow on the ground. I suspect that the photos were taken in winter when the grain harvest was still months away.

Hey, Russ, it would have been no problem to get one of those puny subs through the Welland Canal, as the locks can handle boats up to 740' long and almost 80' wide.
As for the snow on the ground - this is Buffalo, where, I'm told, a snow shovel in the trunk of your car is a year-round accessory in case of "lake effect" snow. Eek Wink Icon_lol

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Maybe they were building submarines on Lake Erie, but I bet watching them try to get out to sea past Niagara Falls would be really fun. Probably not a lot of fun for the crew, though! The first pic of those silos seems to show snow on the ground. I suspect that the photos were taken in winter when the grain harvest was still months away.

Hey, Russ, it would have been no problem to get one of those puny subs through the Welland Canal, as the locks can handle boats up to 740' long and almost 80' wide.
As for the snow on the ground - this is Buffalo, where, I'm told, a snow shovel in the trunk of your car is a year-round accessory in case of "lake effect" snow. Eek Wink Icon_lol

Wayne

I didn't know about the Welland Canal, but I think watching a sub try to navigate the falls might be more interesting. I know what you mean about Buffalo weather. I married my wife in Buffalo, and spent one winter in Buffalo, one winter in Minneapolis, and one winter in Syracuse before I decided that it was time for this So Cal boy to get back to So Cal. I'm afraid that my idea of winter clothing is a jacket over my summer clothes! Living where COLD weather means mid 40's at night and temps between 60-80 during the day is my idea of where I want to live.
This is one of my favorites Wampum, Pa probably a hand car shed originally.

Attached Files Image(s)

here's a cabin in browns park Colorado was lived in till late 50's knew a woman that was borne there in 49. photo is from early 90's.

Attached Files Image(s)

These are all great pics to model, my favorite is the very first.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
This was on the B&O in Chicora, Pa April, 1979. The track is now BP but the station is gone.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is a couple of one I intend to build one day. It's not quite as decrepit as most shown here but I love it !Sorry about the quality of the pictures, i copied it from someplace & pasted it to a wordpad , I don't know how to post it except to photo it off the screen.

Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
I'm going to revive this thread with some pictures of houses I promised for Val.
They are in an old mining town. These are very well kept homes, and I would say that you had better get along with your neighbor. Goldth

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm all in favor of a continuous thread featuring old and unique buildings. I have a few I'd like to add.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:I'm all in favor of a continuous thread featuring old and unique buildings. I have a few I'd like to add.
Sgtcarl, add away. I would enjoy seeing them. I have many more if I can locate them and want to have more.
I may be going by you in a couple of months maybe we could meet for coffee. We will be traveling to Conover, NC if all goes well. We are going to a party for our dogs of all things. Goldth The people are almost as friendly as their Sammies.
Here is one more of those unique homes.
Charlie.

Attached Files Image(s)

Those side by side connected houses all ways made me wonder ,,, why can't the owners ever agree on the same color siding or roofing, and what if they think the other attached house is ugly. Like you said, you better like your neighbor. Definitely a chance for some tension in that neighborhood.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I heard a story a few years ago, about twin sisters that were so angry at each other, they wouldn't talk, or even look at one another. One problem. They both lived in the same house they grew up in.
They split the house down the middle, had separate entrances put in, and a full wall split the porch in two. The picture of the house I saw looked just like those that were posted. Different sidings, paint, windows.

Man...talk about sibling rivalry....
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.