Issue with NCE Decoders
Here is an interesting problem: Last night I had 5 locos on the layout -- two NCE decoders, 2 TCS, and one Digitrax. I placed one of the locos with the NCE decoder on the track and I think there was a momentary short -- the light on the Powercab dimmed for a split-second, but I am not positive. Anyway, the 2 NCE decoder engines no longer respond, but the other three work fine. If I tilt the NCE engines so half the wheels are off the track and then put it back down, sometimes it will take off down the track and then stop. Sometimes it will reverse for a short distance and then stop. THis happens whether or not the address is active on the throttle.

I thought it may have been my throttle since it is only affecting NCE decoders, so I reset the throttle according to the manual, but no change in the NCE decoder behavior. I also tried to reset the decoders to the factory default settings. The decoders responded and reset, but then no change in the decoder behavior -- no response to commands and runaways when tilted and reset on the track as above. I can change the CV's on the decoders -- the decoder makes noise and the CVs show the changes so I know the decoder is responding on the Program Track. Any ideas, or are my NCE decoders fried? If so, why not the other brands? Thanks for any advice you all have to offer!

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Is this independently happening to both NCE decoders, or one of them? What happens if only the NCE locos (or one of them) is on the layout on it's own?

It almost sounded like a DCC system overload, too many locos on the tracks for your DCC system to handle, but what brand locos are they?

I had a problem with an NCE equipped loco myself recently, in an Atlas loco, the advise I was given was: "Something that is notorious on Atlas engines is the contact strip the axle ends run in. Oils tend to leach out to that location and build up in the journal making an excellent insulator ! Pop off the bottom cover of the trucks, remove the side frames and wheel sets. Wipe the axle ends with a clean rag - you'll be surprised what comes off. Then use some round toothpicks to ream out the bronze journal bushings. Make sure they are clean.

If you have your engine tore down to do this step, it's also a good idea to solder the truck wires to that bronze strip as well. The same oils that leach out to the journals will also create an insulation between the wire as well. Those black plastic clips are a poor excuse for a good electrical connection."

Perhaps you have a similar problem?
What DCC system are you using? An NCE system can also show current draw in the display, perhaps give that a go?

Koos

-
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Thank you for your reply and advice. I checked all the electrical connections and they look fine. I have an NCE Powercab at home (love it!). I have tried having only one locomotive on the track and then several and all five, but there is no change in the NCE decoders' behavior. It is so bizarre only the NCE decoders are acting up. The other DCC decoders are not having any issues. I am beginning to think that somehow the NCE decoders were fried/damaged. I can read the decoder and change the CV's on the program track, but it won't respond when on the "main." I am going to try the locos with the NCE decoders out at the club I belong to and see how they behave on the club layout. (We have NCE power out there). If they operate normally, then it is my throttle that is having issues. It feels like a Monday!

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Well there's another thing you can do, if it's not too much trouble, reset the decoder to factory defaults, for NCE, this can be done by putting a value of 2 in CV30 (CV30 = 2) . The loco will then run on address 3 (Default ), perhaps that's what happened anyway.

If you have control of it on address 3, all you need to do is to reprogram the address you want, and then possibly the other items you changed (speed curves, lighting effects etc).

Let us know how you get on.

Koos

PS: I see you have tried to reset them before, not sure if you used the same procedure though. In any case , hope you find out what's wrong.
When programming , do the locos emit the usual short buzzes and yerky movements, or do they 'shoot away', which is usually a sign that programming didn't work successfully.
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Problem solved! It was my Powercab. I am not sure why it got messed up, but it did. I tried to reset the throttle by resetting the throttle number -- this didn't work and I was getting a little bummed out thinking the Powercab was going to need repairs. I was paging through the manual can came across resetting the thottle via the program function. Viola! It reset the throttle back to factory settings and all my decoder issues disappeared! I am one happy camper right now. Problem solved. Thanks Koos for your replies and advice.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Just a reminder, if for whatever reason the reset value doesn't work, NCE power cabs have a "Recovery programming" feature that seems to set most things straight.

Go into your program track menu, and select option 7.

The recovery programming isn't always perfect, the locomotive may behave glitchy (especially on super fancy sound decoders like QSI and others), but it will atleast respond to the "decoder reset", which will restore full functionality.

I've saved several decoders this way that would otherwise seem to be a loss.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]