MicroSoft Train Simulator II (or X) Giving Up Hope
Some of you may remember that I am a fan of MicroSoft's Train Simulator. I love the game and have a lot of fun with it. I found out early in 2007 that MicroSoft is working on the release of a Train Simulator II. Later, that became Train Simulator X because people were getting it confused with an earlier attempt at a Train Simulator II that failed due to conflicts between MicroSoft and the graphics designers. The new game is supposed to provide better graphics and more realistic simulation as well as new routes, locos and consists.

When I first found out about this, it was slated for release in late 2007. Then it was pushed back to early 2008. Then that got pushed back to late 2008. I finally pushed it to the back of my mind and more or less forgot about it. This morning I happened across another forum I used to post on that is centered entirely around Train Simulator and thought that surely TSX has finally been released. Nope. It's now scheduled for release in late 2009 and any posts on that forum regarding updates are immediately locked by forum moderators.

I'm now convinced that this game is never going to be released and MicroSoft is just stringing along the last few remaining hopefuls. They can't even give a legitimate reason for the continued delays and there has been more than ample time to get this thing programmed and running right since it was initially announced. I'm giving up any hope of this game ever actually existing because I'm tired of getting my hopes up only to have them crushed by another delayed release date. We can put this one on the list of great MicroSoft failures right up there with Vista. The dream is over and there will never be a Train Simulator II or X or any other version because MicroSoft can't get it's act together in their gaming department long enough to finish it.
CANNONBALL
Baby likes to rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train!
Train Simulator 2 is still in development. The TS2 team at Microsoft post information, screenshots, videos, etc.. at the official site here every now and then.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tsinsider.com/">http://www.tsinsider.com/</a><!-- m -->

ETA is Q4 of 2009

A few developers also posted occasionally at the train-sim forums. I haven't read it in awhile, so not sure if they still do.
nolatron Wrote:Train Simulator 2 is still in development. The TS2 team at Microsoft post information, screenshots, videos, etc.. at the official site here every now and then.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tsinsider.com/">http://www.tsinsider.com/</a><!-- m -->

ETA is Q4 of 2009

A few developers also posted occasionally at the train-sim forums. I haven't read it in awhile, so not sure if they still do.

Exactly.
Still in development.
They send out a few screenshots here and there and that is supposed to pacify everyone in the face of continued delays.
This thing has been at least 3 years in the making and I am not content with screenshots and videos.
It's easier to simply write it off as a hopeless failure and forget about it.
CANNONBALL
They released a video with a preview of a short (a VERY short) section on the Horseshoe curve route. All you see are a few BNSF diesels starting up a freight train, coming to an abrupt stop after the train split a turnout in a yard. WOW! What a demonstration! (Yep, this is irony! Confusedhock: )

The graphics are quite a bit better than on MSTS 1, but this should be obvious after the time lapse since the devopment of the original MSTS. But there are still clipping errors (e.g. trees which are 'pushed aside' by the train). The sound isn't bad, but I'd like to hear the sound of a steam engine! (As all MSTS users know, the steam loco sound is more than lousy - dull, no dynamics and worst of all, no attempt at all to synchronize the sound with the wheels. Nope Nope Nope )

As I have read in several places, there will be no compatibility with the old MSTS. So all those zillion routes and rolling stock stuff you could download will be obsolete. Thank you very much, Microsoft!

But just the same, after all these years with MSTS I still like it. There are so many additions (and many of them - beautifully ones! - you can download free through the web), that you can literally find a special line for everyone's taste. And the graphics of many of these additions are simply stunning. So I'll stay with the old MSTS for a few years to come. And I think, many others will, too.

And when MS finally comes out with version 2, perhaps there will be another simulator which will be the standard for RR simulations. There are already a few in the starting blocks...

Ron
Boss of the Trim Creek & Western RR (H0 & H0n3)
Running through the hard-shell mountains, not around them!
I played with MSTS for about a year and then let it go...it just didn't seem to be realistic enough after a while. I very much look forward to a better programme. It would be nice to see it within 24 months, which is probably realistic.
Cannonball Wrote:They send out a few screenshots here and there and that is supposed to pacify everyone in the face of continued delays.

A few screenshots here and there are better than nothing in my opinion. Shows the team is still working on it.

Cannonball Wrote:This thing has been at least 3 years in the making and I am not content with screenshots and videos.

Microsoft announced the game in January 2007, so it's only been two years. The average development cycle on a video is game around 2-3 years, so the planned release of Q4 2009 seems about right.

Just because MS isn't pushing out videos/screenshots on a daily basis for folks like you doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

Cannonball Wrote:It's easier to simply write it off as a hopeless failure and forget about it.

Then do so, otherwise it seems like you're just kicking a dead horse to kick it.

I on the other hand will patiently be waiting for the release of the game. My life doesn't depend on this game coming out, so if it never does, who cares. If does, then great.
RailRon Wrote:As I have read in several places, there will be no compatibility with the old MSTS. So all those zillion routes and rolling stock stuff you could download will be obsolete. Thank you very much, Microsoft!

This is most likely due to the game being built upon the Flight Simulator X engine.
Waiting for a game is the lesser of two evils.....The other one is an early release of an "underdeveloped" one.
I (and thousands of others) have found out the hard way with a submarine game (Silent Hunter IV). I installed my game over two weeks ago, and have yet to see something other than the opening menu....If you take a peek at the Ubisoft SHIV forum, you'll see what I mean.... Curse
Gus (LC&P).
nolatron Wrote:A few screenshots here and there are better than nothing in my opinion. Shows the team is still working on it.
Or they're just now releasing stuff that was already finished months ago.

nolatron Wrote:Microsoft announced the game in January 2007, so it's only been two years. The average development cycle on a video is game around 2-3 years, so the planned release of Q4 2009 seems about right.
Not when the original release date has been pushed back as many times as it has.
If they couldn't get the job done in the amount of time they stated, then they should have given it a later release date to start with rather than fustrating people over and over with continued delays.

Oh... and I'm pretty sure they were working on it well before it was announced. After all, why tell somebody about something when the release is still two or 3 years off? Especialy when the original release date was scheduled early 2008.

nolatron Wrote:Just because MS isn't pushing out videos/screenshots on a daily basis for folks like you doesn't mean they aren't working on it.
I didn't say they weren't working on it.
I said it should be done by now.

nolatron Wrote:Then do so, otherwise it seems like you're just kicking a dead horse to kick it.
Kicking a dead horse/venting some fustration. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

nolatron Wrote:I on the other hand will patiently be waiting for the release of the game. My life doesn't depend on this game coming out, so if it never does, who cares. If does, then great.
My life doesn't depend on it. I'm just tired of being disapointed every time a release date gets close and they have nothing to show for it but screen shots and a few videos.
CANNONBALL
What I liked best about TS is the almost instant realisation that I have better than that in my train room and usually wander off and run something.

Tony.
lightbender Wrote:What I liked best about TS is the almost instant realisation that I have better than that in my train room and usually wander off and run something.

Tony.

Yeah but it's cheaper to wreck the trains on MSTS. :mrgreen:
CANNONBALL
Well, looks like Train Sim 2 from MS might really be dead now, along with Flight Simulator!. Sad

Quote:Redmond, Washington-based ACES Studio, the Microsoft-owned internal group behind the venerable Microsoft Flight Simulator series, has been heavily affected by Microsoft's ongoing job cuts.

Development sources have told Gamasutra that a large portion of the dev house's staff has been let go - with multiple reports indicating that the entire Flight Simulator team has been axed.

[snip]

Also in development at ACES Studio was Microsoft Train Simulator 2, the followup to Kuju's original 2001 game. The sequel was previously speculated to be releasing this year. Furthermore, ACES Studio was responsible for Microsoft ESP, a wide-ranging "visual simulation platform" based on Flight Simulator X technology.

The future of the three software lines in or out of house is unclear, particularly given how extensive the ACES Studio layoffs are said to be, but Gamasutra has contacted Microsoft for comment on the report.

Source: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981">http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=21981</a><!-- m -->
nolatron Wrote:Well, looks like Train Sim 2 from MS might really be dead now, along with Flight Simulator!. Sad

Yeah, considering that they're planning on laying of some 5,000 people total one has to wonder what else will be affected. Let's see, one of the most profitable companies ever just isn't making enough profit and they've squeeze the heck out of their customers, so I guess they'll increase their profit margin some other way. I guess the next thing they'll be standing in line for their bailout money. "Mr. President, we're not making the profit we are used to in these troubled times, could we get an extra ten billion to tide us over and increase our meager profits until we release another bummer OS?"
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
nolatron Wrote:Well, looks like Train Sim 2 from MS might really be dead now, along with Flight Simulator!. Sad

Yeah, considering that they're planning on laying of some 5,000 people total one has to wonder what else will be affected. Let's see, one of the most profitable companies ever just isn't making enough profit and they've squeeze the heck out of their customers, so I guess they'll increase their profit margin some other way. I guess the next thing they'll be standing in line for their bailout money. "Mr. President, we're not making the profit we are used to in these troubled times, could we get an extra ten billion to tide us over and increase our meager profits until we release another bummer OS?"

Personally, I blame MS for it's own problems. Planned obsolescence riding on the back of a stinker like Vista deserves a slow and painful death.

When I was just a little boy, I first learned the ultimate wisdom of the Universe: "If it ain't broke, leave it alone."
I've learned not to give up hope. Remember what happened with Half Life 2, when some hackers stole the source code, and they decided to start all over...
Josh
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rr.blockchoice.com">http://rr.blockchoice.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modelrailroadtips.com">http://www.modelrailroadtips.com</a><!-- m -->