Poll: What are some of your other hobbies?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Scale modeling-other than trains
6.15%
12 6.15%
R/C-cars, planes, boats
3.08%
6 3.08%
Geocaching
1.03%
2 1.03%
Construction
3.08%
6 3.08%
Woodworking
5.64%
11 5.64%
Electronics
6.15%
12 6.15%
Art
3.08%
6 3.08%
Automobile restoration
4.62%
9 4.62%
Target shooting-guns/bow & arrow
6.15%
12 6.15%
Writing-poems or stories
1.03%
2 1.03%
Cooking, baking
4.10%
8 4.10%
Sewing, knitting, crocheting
0%
0 0%
Sports-indoor
0.51%
1 0.51%
Sports-outdoor
2.05%
4 2.05%
Motorsports
4.10%
8 4.10%
Photography
7.69%
15 7.69%
Music
6.67%
13 6.67%
Jewelry making
0%
0 0%
Reenactment
0%
0 0%
Mind games- such as crosswords or chess
1.03%
2 1.03%
Collecting (other than trains)
7.18%
14 7.18%
Other hobby not on this list (let us know)
7.69%
15 7.69%
Fishing/hunting
3.59%
7 3.59%
Hiking/jogging/running
2.56%
5 2.56%
Gardening
2.56%
5 2.56%
Video gaming
6.15%
12 6.15%
Stamp/coin collecting
2.56%
5 2.56%
Astronomy
1.54%
3 1.54%
Total 195 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What are your other hobbies
Here's a poll to see how many here have other hobbies and what they are. I've tried to cover most category of hobbies, I'm sure I've missed a few, but let us know by checking "other" and posting here in this thread. You can check as many of them as you need to and you can add or delete anything at any time.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Well none of mine were on the list, some of which are: Fishing, hiking, computer games and veggie gardening.

I can't believe other hobbies like hunting/golfing/tennis/bowling/nitpicking

Yeah I threw that last one to see if you were paying attention. Icon_lol

What the heck is Geocaching?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Organic vegetable gardening. I like nitpicking too!
willie
My other main hobby is hiking. I find spending a few hours on a trail to be incredibly relaxing. I also enjoy the fitness/exercise aspect. I can be cranky and stressed, but once I hit the trail and get into nature, my mood improves and I feel relaxed. I can also hike the same trail/area several times in one year because each time it's constantly different due to the changing seasons, different times of day, etc.

I also enjoy canoeing for similar reasons but that requires more work and preparation! I also like working out at the gym but, again, that's boring compared to hiking alongside a pond, along an escarpment or in the woods.

Some of my favourite hikes are ones where I can observe trains, where my two interests converge? I have 2-3 particular hiking areas where I have a good chance of watching trains during my hike -- I really like those! :-)

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Well none of mine were on the list, some of which are: Fishing, hiking, computer games and veggie gardening.

I can't believe other hobbies like hunting/golfing/tennis/bowling/nitpicking

Yeah I threw that last one to see if you were paying attention. Icon_lol

What the heck is Geocaching?

Great to meet another hiker on here!!

Geocaching is kind of related to hiking. Basically, you use an app on your iPhone/device to find hidden items in the woods, on a trail, etc. I've never done it before but I've heard that it's growing. Your iPhone app should tell you where people have hidden geocaching items (I think they might be prizes, messages, or notebooks to sign?) and you search for these while on your hike. I wouldn't be surprised if they were even hidden in urban areas, city parks or almost anywhere. Just try googling it as I might not have all the details straight.

Cheers, Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Ok here is my second attempt at a post here. 35

Breeding tropical fish( specifically the live bearers mostly Swordtails and their closely related Platies) I got too good at it as I had 4 tanks of fish and it got too time consuming and expensive and I could not give away the excess fish. No longer in this hobby but the knowledge is still there.

Baseball cards and other trading cards( now only collect Columbus Clippers cards)

How could you forget computers, I am not a guru but have "played" with computers from a young age(middle school) starting with basic on the Apple II series of computers and an old TI 994a, I am trying to relearn C and C++ language as I want to write a program that will help electronic students learn about the algebra formulas commonly used in engineering and trouble shooting circuits, eventually I would like to add pics and maybe a short video to program but have to write it first all I have done so far is the main menu for the program.

I also grow heirloom tomatos peppers and some times various types of squash.

I still play video games on the PC and Wii.
My other hobbies include restoring vehicles, restoring vintage farm equipment, bicycling, and I am a musician, I play the Saxophone and the Banjo.

I did find music and auto restoration listed, so I checked them and other.

Dave
-Dave
Puddle jumper,

Can you pick the banjo and play some jazz at the same time? Icon_lol

I like to listen to live bluegrass music, did you know the comedian Steve Martin has a bluegrass band? One of my favorite bluegrass songs is the long black train.
Although most I can't do them anymore: motorsports, auto resto/repair, fishing, sci-fi modeling, photography, blue and white pottery, stoneware whiskey jugs, machining/fabricating.

Probably missing some

Thanks for the poll Don!
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I started scuba diving after out first vacation at the red sea. When I swam over my very first coral reef and looked down I knew: "I need to go down there!". I toke a scuba dive course in the cold and muddy waters of Germany and returned next year for my first dive vacation.
Reinhard
Reinhard , I've never scuba-d , or snorkled in my life but as a kid I used to watch Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges ( as Mike Nelson ) every Saturday night for as long as it was on tv ....came on right after Hockey Night in Canada . I think i was "hooked" on scuba from that time but never tried it . So GO FOR IT !!

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
In times before electronic mailing and without an own telephone (in times of GDR before 1990 was this reality) I have written letters and I have got letters, 100 per year and more. And there were so very different stamps on letters (and later also inside of letters) and told to me small stories about history and peoples, landscapes and animals of USA. And some day I did not longer quash the envelopes, I started to collect the stamps - and now after 25 years I have a very nice filled stamp collection of USA and I learned more and more about the USA - each time a bit more with a new stamp. Now I try to fill the missing stamps especially of early years however this will be a never ending story.

Here are a few pictures.

[Image: stamps_01.jpg] My stamp albums have got their place direct below of a part of my railroad books.

[Image: stamps_03.jpg]

[Image: stamps_04.jpg]

[Image: stamps_05.jpg]

[Image: stamps_06.jpg]

[Image: stamps_07.jpg]

[Image: stamps_08.jpg]

[Image: stamps_09.jpg]

[Image: stamps_10.jpg]
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Thanks all for letting us know what you do other than railroading. I apologize for not having some obvious hobbies and pastimes on the list, but there are so many that I tried to lump some, like "indoor" or "outdoor" sports. and keep other unique ones separate. I'll add a few more to the list and let you know which ones, but I want to keep the list a reasonable size. I found one site that must have listed four or five hundred "hobbies", that's a lot of different things to do in my book. Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:... like "indoor" or "outdoor" sports...
You missed "under the door" and "above the door" for divers and pilots 357
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:... like "indoor" or "outdoor" sports...
You missed "under the door" and "above the door" for divers and pilots 357

I'd consider both "outdoor" sports since rarely, if ever, do you find someone doing either of these things indoors......... Nope Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and