1/4200ish Star Wars and Trek
What a pain it is finding ships to match the scale of the AMT/MPC/ERTL Star Destroyer. Also having to see the star destroyer look so ugly from the manufacturer. Their's kits that make the model look much better but for how cheap you can get the ship and how expensive the upgrades are its not worth it to me.

The collection all stated with the AMT Star Destroyer and the Hot Wheels USS Enterprise D, I like both franchises and wanted both together, we'll that didn't look fair for Star Trek, so I went over board because the fight wasn't fair.

So far I have done a lot of calculations to figure out what's relative to scale for the star destroyer center piece so I can have a nice diorama, so I went over board because the fight wasn't fair according to strength/ships

I will have pics/info later Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I can't remember any specific dimension given for the Imperial Star Destroyer, hope you can resolve that issue, sounds like an interesting project ! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
1/4222 scale

1500m size which is 4921 feet, almost a mile long

15" long model
Tom

Model Conrail

This photo beings me to the beginning, years ago I find a star destroyer at an antique mart and had to have it again (since I had and lost it a long time ago) and picked it up, after looking for HO scaled cars in toys r us I found a hot wheels enterprise d with is mislabeled as 1:50 scale Nope . I grabbed them both and started the collection

[Image: ad318774.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

Of all the space ships in all the movies and TV shows there are only two I still reconize, the Enterprise and the Firefly. Talk about two different extremes, from the huge to the tiny ! Icon_lol My favorite is the Firefly because it is to outer space what the shortlines and branchlines are to railroads. It was also the most believable show to me because they were just trying to beat out a living and stay out from under the government's thumb, they weren't out there running around trying to save the entire universe.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
These are two projects I had to make since nothing is close to scale. First one is an Akira Class starship, the design was modified to make the NX-01 Enterprise for the TV show. Funny how I reversed the modeling process and took a Johnny Lightning NX-01 ship and made the necessary contours and shapes to resemble the Akira Class.

Styrene strips

[Image: 1e708b96.jpg]

Added filler

[Image: b60699f0.jpg]

Sanded

[Image: 889e5ffc.jpg]

Rinse Repeat

[Image: e40f2117.jpg]

The second ship is scratchbuilt, a Prometheus Class starship first seen in the Voyager episode Message In A Bottle. Very cool looking ship and a lot of time consumed to form it from nothing!

[Image: IMG_2258.jpg]

[Image: 894f7f77.jpg]

[Image: f5871134.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

Nice work!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Waveof7 Cheers

Cool out of this world stuff Thumbsup
Cheers You'll get no argument from me, about that! Cheers

At 2265', the Quantum Phoenix is a "shorty"
http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...4&start=15 ( eighth post on that page )
This "creation" is in 1:555 scale, and is 49" in length.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
What made you decide on 1:555 scale?
Tom

Model Conrail

tomustang Wrote:What made you decide on 1:555 scale?

It was the closest I could figure, based on the ERTL TV series Enterprise kit ( also in that photo ).

I have an AMT USS Reliant kit ordered. I plan on building a Star Fleet Heavy Shuttle Carrier ( Motion Picture Era ). That build will get me seriously into resin casting, for all the "duplicate parts".
While looking at the scratch builds and kit bashed federation ships and eating some yogurt it occurred to me that an inverted plastic spoon would yield an elongated saucer section top half and connected fuselage just add some filler material to the bottom of saucer and add some nacelles. What scale ?????????????????? who knows but it sounds like a cool project Icon_lol
Starfleet has taken over control of my 3D printer here is one half of main hull, have to print out the other half and the nacelles and add glue Icon_lol

What is that material and where do you get it and in what dimensions and what is the cost? And is that enough questions in one sentence? Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:What is that material and where do you get it and in what dimensions and what is the cost? And is that enough questions in one sentence? Icon_lol

The material is a plastic called PLA(Poly Lactic Acid), It comes in a spool of a pound or so I got mine with the 3D Printer I ordered from Makerbot, there are other brands out there but the Makerbot Replicator 2 had a bigger build area allowing me to print the side of a 40 foot boxcar side in S(apporx. 7.5" long)

The Cost is expensive as the Printer is a bit Over $2000.00 . Not sure what the cost of A spool is as I have not ordered one yet and still have a lot on the included spool. The plastic comes in several colors.

Staples will be stocking 3D printers in June they are of a smaller build area then mine but cost half as much.

Size wise can be scaled up or down only limit is can not be bigger then the build area.