jwb, 2013 Duff Challenge
I got an NCE RB02 radio base station, which was on sale at Walthers. I followed their suggestion to mount it upside down on the ceiling, or at least on a beam in the basement:

The biggest problem was that they said to mount it upside down on the ceiling, but didn't give any suggestions as to how, or provide any sort of mounting capability. I wound up using a combination of silicone caulk and duct tape, which was inelegant to say the least. The silicone caulk wasn't enough by itself, it kept falling down. After a moment's thought, I realized I should have used Velcro the same way I did with the cab components. I'll probably reverse the direction it's mounted in, peel off the duct tape and silicone, and substitute Velcro when I get around to it.

So far, it looks like the radio signal is reaching the base station from every place I've tried it in the basement. I have a plan B spot if this one finally doesn't work, but it will mean ordering a longer cable. At any rate, this is a million times easier than stringing a whole new cab bus with docking thingies around the layout.
I'm so jealous right now. I've been meaning to get my hands on one of those for a while now... just don't have the funds right now.

I'd use the velco too. That stuff is nearly bullet proof.

Thumbsup
Here's the RB02 re-mounted on Velcro and turned around:

I installed my first harness-type decoder in an Athearn GP38-2. I used a Miniatronics yellow-white LED, wrapped in aluminum foil to keep as much light out of the cab as I can, as well as to insulate it from the cab roof:

I just did the front headlight in this one, but I'm seeing that I could add a rear headlight the same way, very easily. I'm going to order a bunch of these style decoders in next month's budget.
I've been resetting the dual-mode decoders in my Atlas locos that have them. Here's an H15-44 with headlight on:

Well, the point of my challenge was to make a start with DCC, and I've succeeded, although since the point was to make a start, the process of moving my layout's operation to DCC will be a very long one. PC 2419 is my latest conversion, with a TCS DP2X decoder. Here it is at the head of my first 3-loco DCC consist, headlight illuminated:

I still have some distance to go in order to equip enough locos with DCC to realize the possibilities I want with DCC: for instance, a set of 4 Conrail units exchanging a train with a set of 4 Guilford units, easy with DCC, a lot of wiring and block-switch hassle with DC. A near-term objective is also to add passenger service to my layout, which will also need DCC as a good way to get the passenger trains out of the way in terminal areas without a lot of block-control hassle.

My own duff project pales in comparison to some of the other guys this year -- congratulations to the others who've done quite a spectacular job!
Congratulations on your progress toward DCC. I'm strictly a DC guy, mostly out of my technically challenged approach to the hobby. Perhaps someday I'll step into the waters like you did. Nicely done though...and I love the three loco PC consist! Thumbsup