Some woodworking projects
Some time ago we had a house built for us in Wickenburg, Arizona. The floorplan was done by a designer in Canada that I found on the Internet and I had him include a good sized workshop off the garage. That allowed me to do a number of woodworking projects around the house. Here is one that I did for my den. I did the entire cabinet from scratch, including all the doors and drawers. The tricky part of doing this was that the corner had a good radius and I had to match the cabinet to that radius. The "stained glass" doors are glass with an applied staining technique rather than using actual stained glass. What you do is glue the caning in place or use a liquid that looks like caning to trace out the pattern. Once that's dry, you use a colored liquid in the areas that you want to be that color. When it dries, it becomes translucent and crinkly to like stained glass.

Oh, the floorplan picture on the cabinet is actually a security annunciator that we installed. We could see if any door or window was open in the house by looking at this annunciator. This might be a bit overkill for a house this size, but hey, that was the business we were in, making them for large houses, businesses and even prisons, so we make one for our own little home. Smile

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The builder couldn't find doors like I wanted for the den, so after we moved in, I made these, again from scratch. I used the same stained glass technique that I used on the cabinets.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, that is very impressive. You have many talents. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Charlie
Outstanding work ! Wish I had a woodworking talent . The glass really sets it off .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
No, really, who make those? Looks too cool Thumbsup
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
My wood working talent is I can make great sawdust.Funny that In come from a family of carpenters some of whom were really gifted with talent for projects like this.

Don,I will put it this way buddy Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup awesome stuff.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Thank you all, I appreciate your comments. It takes patience, the right tools and a bit of luck to do this, plus watching a lot of episodes of, "New Yankee Workshop" and "This Old House". Big Grin I did those projects about ten or eleven years ago when my joints moved a bit better than and didn't make as much noise as they do now. Icon_lol We moved from there to the house we now live in back in 2004. Living in Wickenburg was what I'd describe as "rural cowboy" which was fine but it was a good 35-45 miles away from shopping malls and most medical care. We were driving to the Phoenix area about four or five times a week so we decided to just move back to the area. Besides, being out in the middle of the desert had its problems that we found difficult to cope with, like chasing rattlesnakes and coyotes away, plus dodging poisonous Gila Monsters, scorpions and other desert critters. Sumpter250 and Ray_M were at the house one day when a rattlesnake decided to park itself on our patio. It got creepy after a while, even though we've lived in the Arizona desert area for well over 50 years. :?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, very fine woodworking and glass ornaments. Very well done!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
ezdays Wrote:Besides, being out in the middle of the desert had its problems that we found difficult to cope with, like chasing rattlesnakes and coyotes away, plus dodging poisonous Gila Monsters, scorpions and other desert critters. Sumpter250 and Ray_M were at the house one day when a rattlesnake decided to park itself on our patio.

:o Big Grin "Snake" learned the hard way what glass is, when it bashed it's ravenous head against it, striking at my hand. :o
After "snake" was "dispatched", Don gave it a Heave-Ho into the canyon out back, and it was but minutes later, a predatory bird came along and took it home for lunch. Wink 357
Good thing about the glass, I had just broken my right ankle, and it was in an "air cast", so I could be able to drive back to Chicago. I wouldn't have been able to move fast enough to get out of "Snake's" reach.
357 357 I guess all's well that ends - - with a snake for lunch ! Big Grin Big Grin The other up side? If I appeared small enough for a rattle snake's lunch, I didn't need to worry about diet - - - I was obviously not "too big" Wink Wink Popcornbeer
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I really like those doors! Did you take them with you when you moved?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:I really like those doors! Did you take them with you when you moved?

Thanks, I wish I could, but since everything was built in, I had to leave it all. The faux staining was fun to do. I got everything at a local craft store. I'd do it again if I had a place to put the doors.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Got another project that I did about years ago. I designed and built this DVD/TV cabinet to consolidate the TV and all the necessary boxes to run the thing, plus storage for all the DVD's we had at the time. It's made from red oak and I did a minimal stained glass effect on the two doors. I built it a bit tall since it's in our bedroom and needed to be high enough for the TV to be seen from the bed.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Wow! That's excellent Cheers
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
WOW!!! Very Cool!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???