Ngauger's 2013 Duff Challenge
I had a car that had a hole in the floor in the back seat Smile The person sitting there could watch the road go by Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Well - after working on it last night - I had some time today to get off y duff Smile

The speaker enclosure is finished and as soon as it dries and I paint it all black, it's going in!!!!!! Smile This is yet another "Redesign During Construction"! Goldth Goldth

Inside looking "upward"

The top looking down. The white parts are the sides. The knob which will face the rear of the engine is the on/off volume control.

The front - Note the grille extension and also the clean "new" wood Smile

Now the wood is "weathered"

And finally - sitting the roof on again to make sure everything looks right Smile And I think I'll remove the top board so the engineer can see without having to look out the sides of the engine Big Grin

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Overall it's shaping up nicely Mikey. One thing though, those headlights are way too new for the critter.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Overall it's shaping up nicely Mikey. One thing though, those headlights are way too new for the critter.

You have a point there, depends though on the year it was built... Those style of lights didn't start showing up until around 2000 or so, but hey, he could have a modern version of an old classic. Icon_lol You never know what these larger-than-normal (anything bigger than 1:160) scale guys have in mind now, do you????? 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
C'mon - you guys - It's 2013!!! Icon_lol

The story is: that it was an older (circa 1950's) railbus that had to have it's front end replaced .... Nope Nope

OK - I was really looking at those lights too...... I'm thinking of painting them over and putting 2 round LED's in there. "Round" looking 60's style lights...... I think you guys have helped me make up my mind Smile Smile Smile

Of course, as always you are causing me MORE WORK!!!! Shoot Uhhh right - it's a hobby and it's all in fun!! Thumbsup

Pictures will be coming soon - maybe this weekend again!!!!! Smile Smile I can't rush this too much - I could hurt myself!! Icon_lol

....and now - I'm thinking of maybe scrapping the "rounded" front hood assembly and building a more appropriate square hood with square fenders and lights.. Icon_twisted Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:I can't rush this too much - I could hurt myself!! Icon_lol

It's the "not rushing", that made my 2-6-6-2 a "Duff Challenge" :o :o :o 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
"You never know what these larger-than-normal (anything bigger than 1:160) scale guys have in mind now, do you????? "

True Don, I guess you can't expect too much when they don't even model in the right scale to start with! Icon_lol To cut Mikey some slack he did start off with the right scale but somewhere along the line .........................

"and now - I'm thinking of maybe scrapping the "rounded" front hood assembly and building a more appropriate square hood with square fenders and lights.. "

Excellent idea!!!! Cheers
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:"You never know what these larger-than-normal (anything bigger than 1:160) scale guys have in mind now, do you????? "

True Don, I guess you can't expect too much when they don't even model in the right scale to start with! Icon_lol To cut Mikey some slack he did start off with the right scale but somewhere along the line .........................

"and now - I'm thinking of maybe scrapping the "rounded" front hood assembly and building a more appropriate square hood with square fenders and lights.. "

Yeah, we'll give him points for that. Thumbsup With a name like "ngauger", he can't be all that bad now, can he????????? Icon_lol Icon_lol But........ when did he turn over to the dark side, where did he go wrong? Eek Eek Maybe extensive therapy would help get him back on track. 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:With a name like "ngauger", he can't be all that bad now, can he????????? Icon_lol Icon_lol But........ when did he turn over to the dark side,

Icon_lol The Force is strong with that one........ 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Quote: "You never know what these larger-than-normal (anything bigger than 1:160) scale guys have in mind now, do you????? "

Yeah - I am still, sometimes asked, to explain the N gauger name while modeling Narrow gauge G - Wait - come to think of it - I don't even model in a "normal" G scale Eek Eek Goldth

Quote:"and now - I'm thinking of maybe scrapping the "rounded" front hood assembly and building a more appropriate square hood with square fenders and lights.. "

Like I said --- You guys force me to think.. Which usually ends up having me work to better my modeling skills Smile Nothing bad about that at all!!!! Nope

I'm already kicking around ways to design the new hood.. I'll have to put pencil to paper later tonight or tomorrow Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

OK - How does this look?????

If i add fenders to the sides and put the LED's in the front of the fenders it would look like the mid 1950's... Right??? Maybe something like a Jeep front end?? Goldth Goldth

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The side (cab) door ended up being 3-1/2" tall Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Mikey the shape is good but by the time you add the grill and hood it may be too long front to back and too tall?
Mike

How about cutting the hood down so that the back edge is even with the bottom of the top board.Then if you round off all the edges the hood will have a generic Mack truck hood shape.You could good even further and put a radiator between the hood and the cab front.

For lighting how about large free standing headlights mounted either side of the hood on the deck.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
What was wrong with what you had, other than the headlights? Just change those out to something round and be done with it... I hate starting over like that on any part of a project... Hey, can anybody use a couple of short N scale walls???????? 357 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and