modelsof1900's 2013 Duff Challenge
Next step is done, doors are added to side wall sheets.

[Image: whiteswan_039k.jpg]

As I have written at beginning the doors are positioned at left ends on each side and not at center of cars.
These reefers were equipped with three rails hanging under roof and they have been bowed like a "S". Beef halves were transported hanging at hooks with rolls at these rails. For fast and convenient loading and unloading rails have got connection rails from loading station to cars and by these S-formed rails the car could loaded and unloaded from each side independent as the car was rolled into loading station.
I think - a fairly good idea for packers and a fast loading time - and a railroad car with a very specific design.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Very nice work,, your precision is outstanding. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thank you very much for your friendly comment.
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
A little progress with my "White Swan Shortening" reefers.

[Image: whiteswan_042k.jpg]

Side and end sheathings have been glued to bodies and all parts were ground to proper height.
Now adding all the details must follow, first the grab irons and steps.
Cheers, Bernd

Looking very good. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That pipe of reefer sides looks good. Is that Grandt Line Hardware?
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Thank to all!

Parts around the doors are Grandt Line parts. The rain deflector about the door is a metal strip that I inserted into a slot. These were made by using a fine sawing blade - first shaving the styrene and after getting breakthrough I have sawn the slot, without drilling of holes.

Michael, and all others, an appendix.
My first 3-D printed parts will come also from Shapeways - I need pole pockets for these reefers. A friend has made the print file.
Cheers, Bernd

Bernhard, your work is absolutely outstanding, even if you are working with styrene Wink . Fantastic stuff ! Worship Worship Worship Worship
Kurt
Kurt, thanks!
I have switched to an other modelling job for a short while. I'm very rejoiced in making a number of very small parts. In this case no styrene - pictures will follow.
Cheers, Bernd

Today I must write a very bad info, I must stop this project. All five bodies must be built new, completely!
I have constructed my "White swan" reefers after a few dimension dates and some existing parts including the door latches. And these are too short for this car or said by other words they have a very general dimension! The car must be 2 foot higher than I have built and this is a big difference, too big in order to repair or rework them. Thus new play - new luck!
Good news is that I have an idea what I should do with these car bodies. I build five other reefers! However in moment I have switched to reworking three other models - also reefers again. I will open and write in a new thread in next time.
Cheers, Bernd

These days I have found a solution for saving and continuing the project.
I must grind down all wall sheets including the door fittings. Then I will glue a few sheets to bottoms of bodies and then I repeat it all - new side and end wall sheets in correct high. This will be all - only a bit more work after ending the challenge.
Good luck to all other participants of challenge.
Cheers, Bernd

modelsof1900 Wrote:These days I have found a solution for saving and continuing the project.
I must grind down all wall sheets including the door fittings. Then I will glue a few sheets to bottoms of bodies and then I repeat it all - new side and end wall sheets in correct high.

I do not envy you that task. Yes, I have been there, and I fully understand the nature of what you are about to do.
May it all go well. Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
modelsof1900 Wrote:These days I have found a solution for saving and continuing the project.....
I am glad to read that. It would be to bad if everything would be lost.
Reinhard
Yes, I agree, you've got too much into this to just let it go. Good luck on refitting everything. We'll look forward to seeing your progress.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks you all for your moral aid. I'm sure that I can complete these models and I think that I can receive a good looking and correct built models. See you later with new pictures here.
Cheers, Bernd