Ez's 2013 duff challenge
Sumpter250 Wrote:Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Thumbsup Thumbsup Yup! now it looks like a "mothballed" Star Wars Battle Cruiser ! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Time to moor it in it's place, and let the foliage grow over it.

Thumbsup Thumbsup Looks like progress to me... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Yeah, I took the cue from what I saw in the "Aircraft Boneyard" just south of us in Tucson. I think they have a few of them mothballed down there, they're just not saying. I have no idea where they got tarps that big to cover them though. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
One small step for mankind, or for my challenge. I've painted the rocks that were exposed by the cut, put the dirt in and added some grass and a few plants around the edges where the ground might show around some of the trees. I put it in place just to get an idea of how it's shaping up, but I'm still doing all of the work on it in the garage. It sure is a lot easier than reaching over a couple of feet, and it keeps me from messing up the layout Confusedhock: Confusedhock: ..... well, any worse than it is already. 357 Icon_lol

I added a retaining wall to hold back the rocks on the hill, but it kind of looks tacked on, so I think I'm going to change it for a bigger and taller one. The way I have it now just doesn't look right. Nope

The big thing is that I'm actually making progress, even if it isn't all in the right direction... Wallbang
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Yeah, that retaining wall doesn't work there, but your rock work looks really nice. Thumbsup Thumbsup I'm not even sure that a retaining wall would be necessary, as the rocks don't look like they'll be sliding anywhere.

Wayne
I agree with Wayne, your rock cut looks pretty solid to me. No need for a retaining wall there. They are habitually used where there isn't any rock to retain the soil.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Yeah, I agree, the way the rock pile turned out isn't the way I intended. I'm going to try to rework the rocks a bit to add some rubble, since I'm kind of committed now to putting in a retaining wall there. Yeah, I cut out the rock formation to put the wall in flat and repairing it is not going to be easy. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don I agree with Wayne and Matt, I would get rid of the wall. Other than that everything is looking good ! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I vote for ditching the wall.Just replace it with some large rocks and some greenery.Other than that it looks great.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Against the advice of some well respected members, Worship I'm making one more attempt at putting in a retaining wall. Somehow, I just feel that something belongs there and I knew that first wall just wasn't right. 35

My argument is that there is more loose rocks there than it looked like at first glance. Wink Secondly, there is a drainage problem at that location and the railroad was concerned that if they didn't control the flow, there could be a mud and rock slide onto the tracks, and we all know the consequences of that. Icon_lol So, as a precaution, the railroad added a 75' poured-in-place concrete wall embedded into the rock and topped by an 8' high expanded metal fence. There are four concrete drainage pipes install to handle runoff. 8-)

Now, if it still doesn't look right, I'll go ahead and put cut rock back without question or hesitation....

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don I think the reason a retaining wall doesn't look right there is that the hill isn't big/tall/steep enough to warrant one. Or to totally butcher an old saying "your all wall and no hill".

The old saying I had in mind (being where you live) was " All hat and no cows". Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Don I think the reason a retaining wall doesn't look right there is that the hill isn't big/tall/steep enough to warrant one. Or to totally butcher an old saying "your all wall and no hill".

The old saying I had in mind (being where you live) was " All hat and no cows". Icon_lol

Good point, it would have been a lot easier to just put rocks back in there, but, as another old saying goes, I wanted to give it that old college try..... 2285_

Being in the southwest, you could say, "all hat and no horse".... Misngth Lot's of them there folk around here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Being in the southwest, you could say, "all hat and no horse".... Misngth Lot's of them there folk around here.

Hay !! ( yes I meant to spell it that way ), Be nice. I have Grandsons out there ! 357 357 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Being in the southwest, you could say, "all hat and no horse".... Misngth Lot's of them there folk around here.

Hay !! ( yes I meant to spell it that way ), Be nice. I have Grandsons out there ! 357 357 357 357 357

Yeah, but how many horses do they have? Nope You didn't see any horses behind my house when you where there, but I do have a hat, a pair of boots and even an Indian friend or two. 2285_ 2285_ Put that in your pipe and smoke it kemosabe Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I don't suppose you remember my other avatar, it tells the story about the dangers of living here in Arizona without a horse.

Waveof7 Shoot
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Remember that meteor that hit Russia yesterday? Well, it had a profound affect on my project. It seems as i a stray particle hit my hill, right where the wall and fence were. You can see the results:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and