Ez's 2013 duff challenge
ezdays Wrote:Thank you kind sirs. Goldth You gotta admit that I did get off to a rocky start though........ 357 357
Yeah - but then you hit a wall.... Smile Having bypassed the stone for the rock, you have made great progress in the foliage department!! Eek Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Thank you kind sirs. Goldth You gotta admit that I did get off to a rocky start though........ 357 357
Yeah - but then you hit a wall.... Smile Having bypassed the stone for the rock, you have made great progress in the foliage department!! Eek Thumbsup Thumbsup

True, very true, but it was rock hard to admit that the path that I had chosen was stone cold, but I stood up to it as tall as a tree, which leaves me no alternative but to say.... thanks again guys. 357 2285_ 357 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Cheers Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Cheers
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Cheers It's still snowing here in " Beautiful Downtown Vernon Hills, Il. " I needed a good...
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Thanks !!!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
It was a really nice few days in the neighborhood, the sun, some rain and lo and behold, an abundance of vegetation came forth. The right side of the hill is now populated with an assortment of trees, a few bushes and some rocks.

Overall shots:

Next on the agenda is to work on the backdrop behind the hill. I'd like to have it look like the hill continues some, but my artistic skills are really rusty, so we'll see how that goes Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Very nice, I really like the birds! Thumbsup I think though that the ferny looking bush on the far right in the first couple of pics looks like it belongs on a tropical island.
Mike

Really nice!! and yeah - the birds are a nice touch!! Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Very nice, I really like the birds! Thumbsup I think though that the ferny looking bush on the far right in the first couple of pics looks like it belongs on a tropical island.

That tree happens to be a fernousious thingus species, a somewhat rare desert plant, Icon_lol but one that is indigenous to the area. Wink There's a whole lot more of them on the other side of the hill. Big Grin Big Grin But, since no one knows exactly where this "area" is, it can look out of place, so in the interest of continuity, I have another area where they could be transplanted.

All kidding aside, I thought that they looked too much like a queen palm, so I could use them in my little desert village. They were fun and easy to make though. Smile
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the ol' fernousious thingus ! I should have known that! 35 Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the ol' fernousious thingus ! I should have known that! 35 Icon_lol

After much research on, BadFakeTrees.com, I find that the fernousious thingus isn't really a tree, but a bush. Icon_lol I called out the landscape crew from the Canyon State Railroad and had them sink both of these bushes, (yes, there were two, one on each side) :o, down to the ground and trim them like they're suppose to be. Icon_lol

Uh, actually, they looked more like something you'd see in one of those 1950 sci-fi movies as they get off the ship onto a new planet, so I opted to do this rather than throw them away.... 357 357

I'm thinking it looks better now, but I've been wrong before.... :ugeek:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice save ! Cheers Thumbsup
Mike

Eek I thought one of two choices: You live in a lush tropical region, and modeled what you saw, Or:
You live in a desert, and long for lush tropical things ! Big Grin

Then again, This a "Get off your Duff Challenge".
Maybe we all need to get off our Duffs, and walk around the neighborhood with our eyes open!

Wise Man once say; "There is safety in modeling what you see"

Wink 357 Wink 357 Wink

P.S. My "duff challenge" is something I have never, and probably will never see a prototype of. :o :oops: 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Eek I thought one of two choices: You live in a lush tropical region, and modeled what you saw, Or:
You live in a desert, and long for lush tropical things ! Big Grin

Then again, This a "Get off your Duff Challenge".
Maybe we all need to get off our Duffs, and walk around the neighborhood with our eyes open!

Wise Man once say; "There is safety in modeling what you see"

Wink 357 Wink 357 Wink

Well, actually, I had this here dream one night and the landscape was filled with these things. It wasn't until I saw my psychoanalyst that I realized that it was a nightmare. Eek Eek So you are right on both counts, I modeled what I saw (in a dream), and what I longed for since I do live in the desert. 357 Ah, if we can only get a few of those tropical hula girls to sway underneath, I'd have kept them as trees.... Wink Wink

Modeling what I do see around my neighborhood would be a lot easier though, sand, rocks, cacti and a few scrub bushes. Icon_lol Icon_lol Oh yeah, and a few rattlesnakes.... Shoot

Sumpter250 Wrote:P.S. My "duff challenge" is something I have never, and probably will never see a prototype of. :o :oops: 357 357

I think we all create our own world with things in it that doesn't exist anywhere else. Nothing wrong with that. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Still haven't cleaned the area up, but I have managed to do some work on the backdrop. I added some background trees, raised the mountains behind the hill and added a large cloud behind the mountains. The next step is to work on the small hill to the left of all this:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and