Has anyone got advice on the foam incline sets
I'm looking to elevate one cruved track from 0" to about 4" to meet with a bridge over other tracks. I have about 20 feet to work with and have been looking into the Woodland Scenics 2% Incline Set (#ST1410). It's made of white foam in a zig-zag design which allows it to be very flexible (I would assume). The set comes in eight 2' sections and will raise the track to 4" in 16 feet. It looks good on the internet but I was wondering if any of you out there have use one of these incline sets yet. If so, how do you like it? Did it install easily and does it form a smooth grade? They're only about $20 so I thought it might be worth buying rather than messing around with other metahonds I've used in the past, which were a pain in the A$$. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
I've used them extensively. They work very well. Sometimes it is necessary to add a little bit more taper to the beginning of the grade and a little bit of sanding to smooth out the end of the grade. Don't hot glue them. 35 I use them for N scale and they are just wide enough to support a double mainline. I've also used them inside of a coffee table and gotten them to a radius as small as 8". My method is to lay down the foam, glue the inclines to the foam, glue the cork to the inclines (all with Elmers mind you), plastercloth right up to the edge of the cork and away you go.
Here's an older shot, but you can see where I've used them all over the place...
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=468]

and an overhead. Towards the bottom, you can see how I customized it to fit as I ran out of room with another track coming in...
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=469]
You also mentioned talking about a set. The picture above shows my layout when I was using 4% grades. A 4% incline rises 1" in 2'. A perfect match for 1" layers of foam. Later, I decided 4% was a bit too steep and with a slight layout addition and some finangling, I managed to reduce all 4% grades to 2%. Even so, it only took me 4' to rise the same inch. Thus, I only purchased boxes of 2% incline starters and with the use of 1" foam, never found the need for the sets.
The ws risers are great and you'll never get a smoother transition.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I have been watching (and recording on the DVR) the "Workin' on the Railroad" series on the DIY channel, and they are step by step building the Woodland Scenics "River Pass" layout kit. They use low temp hot glue guns to attach EVERYTHING including the foam risers and other foam pieces, and it seems to work GREAT for them. Maybe the key is using the LOW TEMP glue? I can see where a regular hot glue gun may melt them. Also, do NOT use enamel based paint (like spray paint) to paint that stuff, it eats it.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
I used a set on one of my inclines. Unfortunately, I got cheap and used regular foam insulation for the extra packing and later noticed that it wasn't 1/2" but 9/16 or 5/8 and there was a bump at the end of each 1/2" rise from the WS inclines.
You'll need some extra work at the bottom. If you have the money you might spring for a set of risers at half your grade for a transition. I found the "sharp" end of the inclines a bit lumpy and in need of sanding. A bit of padding at the bottom will also help with transition. The half-grade risers will aso help at the top.
(Things I should have done -- the bottom of my grade is cookie-cuttered from the Homasote.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David I did a similar error so to get rid of bump which was in area of rail joint I just moved the joint away from transition and raised the roadbed and pumped silicone under for support , it worked real well.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Thanks you all for the info. I am leaning toward the 2% in 16' grade set. I was wondering about the initial beginning and the end transition points. You info confirmed that I may have to do a little 'tweaking. The rise will be on a "U" shaped curve and I need to be sure there is as little resistance as possible. Now all I have to do is locate the set. Several hobby shops I have contacted in my area don't have one. I guess I'll have to order one. No biggie. I'll get it soon.

Thanks again guys,

KT
2% has a very nice gradual grade, the thin beginning of incline is very thin and delicate though so be careful. On my layout or was it the last layout , I just used the starter inclines and to a certain hight then used pink foam for the flat part then back down the other side.
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
As Tom mentioned....low temp hot glue works great. I just used T pins to hold it in place and hot glued the edges....fast and easy if you have a low temp glue gun, if not, Elmers works great as well, as TrainNut already said.
Good luck!
Steve
I have used the 4% grades quite extensively on my logging layout. It allowed me to easily transition to various heights. When I installed them I used white glue, I pinned them in place in a few key locations, then set some old Physics textbooks on top to hold it overnight. Worked well for me and I would reccoment them for anyone who needs to transition between multiple heights of foam.
Beamish Wrote:I have used the 4% grades quite extensively on my logging layout. It allowed me to easily transition to various heights. When I installed them I used white glue, I pinned them in place in a few key locations, then set some old Physics textbooks on top to hold it overnight. Worked well for me and I would reccoment them for anyone who needs to transition between multiple heights of foam.
I think the 4% are ideal for the short logging trains where as I found when I tried them before they were a bit too steep for my longer trains, but then again there's always possibility of multiple units.
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Beamish Wrote:... then set some old Physics textbooks on top to hold it overnight...

2nd best use of old Physics textbooks if I ever heard one.

I, too, use the scenics foam inclines. I have a 2% up and 3% down. Every engine I own can run up the 2% with a load of cars with no issue. They may slow down, but that's prototypical, isn't it? The only issue I can see for the 2% grade is the length. If you have the room for it, it's great. But it runs 16 feet... that's quite a bit of real estate.

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
Very good point on the length of the 2% but in my case I have nearly 20 feet to work with so I believe I should be able to make it. I have a 5' x 9' penenusla where I will lay my grade. It will start on one side, run nearly the lenght of the table, curve around and back to it's summit. That's just shy of 20 feet but will have a 180 degree curveto it (Horseshoe Curve? Naw.......single track)

Thanks gang,

KT
deckroid Wrote:2nd best use of old Physics textbooks if I ever heard one.

I also used some calculus, psychology, and electronics books. They are all kinda heavy and bloated. Definitely the most expensive paperweights I ever purchased. Mind you i did actually read them one time. Smile