The value of this hobby...
...or any other hobby.

I think I have been at this hobby as long as I can remember. I am guessing since I was about 5-6. And over the years there have been times where I had tons of enthusiasm, and other periods when the models just sat. But it seems no matter what was going on in my life, I would always turn to this hobby to relax and deal with life. It wouldn't matter if it was family stress, school stress, money stress, girlfriend issues, stuck in bad weather - whatever. No matter how worn out I felt with life, I was always able to pick up a hobby knife or a jar of paint or a bag of plaster and create something. And sometimes I could improve my mood just daydreaming about what I would build next and how to build it. I turn to other creative hobbies at times, and they all have the same effect, but for some reason I get the most comfort from this hobby. Perhaps because it takes me back furthest to childhood.

As I get older and meet more people, it seems those that did not have some kind of creative hobby to fall back on chose other more dangerous paths to relieve their anxieties. Alcohol, drugs, reckless behavior. For sure there are other factors at play here, exceptions to the rule, chickens vs eggs, and other philosophical cliches, but I just see so many people my age that did not have a similar peaceful hobby wound up dealing with life in less constructive ways. And somehow I wonder how my life would have been different had I not had the means to participate in this or other hobbies. My dad was never into model trains, but he certainly helped show my brothers and I how to build things. And my parents always encouraged creative hobbies and hands-on skills.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Yeah , I agree , and it's too bad a lot of people are missing this experience . The majority of the people I've met in the hobby , over the years , are people I like and respect .....there's always a few A-holes , but far fewer than what you run into any other day . Most of us like the history that goes along with it , be it your favourite RR name , or era , or industry etc.

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Yeah pretty much the same here. Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Kevin;

Probably a lot of us share your experiences and feelings about this hobby, including myself. I too have been involved with it since my Dad got me that first Lionel train set when I was 5 years old. He was never involved in the hobby, except to teach me how to do woodworking, wire things, and get the railroad operating, and even take me for weekly trips down to the Southern Railway yard to watch the real thing. Some of my fondest memories would be seeing what my Dad got me for the train layout on Christmas and my birthday. Over time, the desire to actually work on the railroad became my main goal in life and as it turned out, I got to do that and in many different fields. All that was just more fuel for the modeling aspect of it.

I think we all go through periods where the hobby gets put on the back burner for periods of time, but it seems like we always come back to it. This hobby has so many different aspects and skills that a person can develop and to me is vastly different than any other hobby. Not only can we build and detail a model or layout to any level we desire, we can spend countless, interesting hours, doing research on a subject or even spend time observing the prototype. Most of all we can actually do something with our creations - unlike similar hobbies where once you've completed the model, it just sits there.

I've run across many others over the years that are interested in the hobby in one form or another, and again the variety is endless. Some just want to watch trains run in a circle (which can be huge), some build models and layouts that duplicate a particular location or railroad as close as they can; others like myself prefer to just freelance something, but have reasonably accurate equipment and duplicate actual operations. Several times, lifelong friendships have developed from just a simple "Oh, you're a model railroader too!".

Who knows where I'd be today had this hobby and interest not been a part of my life. I can't even imagine and probably don't really want to!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I can't remember when I wasn't involved in the hobby one way or the other with very few slumps..

The hobby has help me get through good times,bad times,the passing of my dad(a railroader,modeler and mentor),the passing of my wife and a major heart attack..

Heck even the majority of my fishing holes is near a busy main line.

90% of my friends are follow modelers and railfans-a bird of a feather thing..I never cared much for muggles(nonmodeling/railfan folk) since they seem to follow paths I have no interest in such as sports,golf,going honky tonkin' on Friday and Saturday nights etc..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
nachoman Wrote:...or any other hobby.
As I get older and meet more people, it seems those that did not have some kind of creative hobby to fall back on chose other more dangerous paths to relieve their anxieties. Alcohol, reckless behavior.
2285_ Icon_lol Cheers Icon_lol 2285_
Reckless behavior: :oops: :oops: 125 MPH in a '71 Challenger R?T,340 4bbl, 4 speed, with a half ton utility trailer in tow....... and, being Active duty Navy 1961-1983, which lead to numerous encounters with alcohol ! Cheers Cheers
The model building was with me the whole way, and kept the "Non-Reckless" moments, safe, and fun. Wink Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I agree with this ... It's relaxation and therapy after a busy day , etc. For me! It's definitely nostalgia of trains and the hobby takes me back to my childhood. Plus it connects me or reminds me of my Dad who was a big train fan. I also feel like a kid again when I really get into this hobby or have a great day visiting a heritage railway. And now my youngest son is into trains as well, which I think is cool.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->