Are you addicted to your cell phone
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Don I'm shocked ! You mean you don't have any of those wireless extension cords? Icon_lol

Now there's a good reason not to have any. You've got them and what, as you say, you are "shocked". Conclusion: wireless extension cords may be state of the art, but they are dangerous. :o :o :o :o

Ouch, ew, oh, super-ouch Icon_lol !!!!!!!!!!!! 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Even though I grew up with a chorded house phone, most phones in my house now are wireless. When I got put on rotation in the lab at school, the lab's phone IS chorded. I feel like I've been put on a leash!

That said, I'm surprisingly not that connected to my phone. I usually use it to tell the time, more so than communicate. In fact, the phone is one of the least reliable ways to get a hold of me. Half the time I don't hear it or notice it vibrate. The other half of the time, the battery is dead or the phone is charging elsewhere. No little games, no internet (that last one might be useful though), just the occaisional text or call.

It makes me feel strange since everyone else I know is usually bonded with their electronic devices.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
The only people that know we have text facility are the telephone company. They send us notes when we alter the service and surveys asking how they did. But we don't know how to send text or respond to the surveys.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:The only people that know we have text facility are the telephone company. They send us notes when we alter the service and surveys asking how they did. But we don't know how to send text or respond to the surveys.

depending on your phone type, texting can be easy, or impossible torture. Older phones without a dedicated keyboard often require you to hit the number that corresponds to the letter you want several times until that letter appears, and then you have to wait a moment if you want to follow up with the same letter. if you move to fast, you can find yourself cycling through about a million times.

These kinds of phones make texting annoying, and its easy to see why people adopted "text speak"; its not so much careless english as it is a practical way to communicate given the limited number of "characters" available, and the unnecessary time wasted fidgeting with the phone.

However, with the advent of "keyboarded" phones, this is really not a proble anymore, and may phones automatically send multiple texts to accomadate a long message if necessary. Most phones are also pretty intuitive. It will plainly state "send" on the phone, either on the screen, or on the button itself.

Personally, I only use texts to send short messages like "I will be late" or "i'm on the 5:30 train", not for ongoing conversations. in this role, texting is useful because its faster to send that message as a text than call the person, wait for them to pick up, only to tell them this quick message, say goodbye to them, and hang up. If it can't be answered in 2-3 texts, it warrants a phone call.

.....geez , I hope there is an open manhole just ahead Goldth Goldth

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
T,I suspect if a gang of zombies would descend on that bunch it would be easy pickings since those folks have no idea what's going on around them.

The real question is are they texting each other? Confusedhock:
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:T,I suspect if a gang of zombies would descend on that bunch it would be easy pickings since those folks have no idea what's going on around them.

The real question is are they texting each other? Confusedhock:

There was a funny internet video that I just can't find where that's exactly what happened. Everyone was to busy texting each other about the zombies to actually take the warnings and run.
I try to keep my cell phone as far away from my person as I can.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
There was yet another recent strip of the comics, "Zits" where he was texting back and forth to his girlfriend when he got a message he couldn't decipher, like: yru ab r st zy (which probably does mean something :o ). He said, "I wonder what she meant by that?" His friend replied, "go ask her, she's standing right over there"..... Icon_lol

I guess I'm too old to understand, but I figure it's like a popularity contest, the more texts you get and send, the more people "like" you on Facebook and the more people read your blogs and tweets, the higher you are on the popularity scale. We had a different way of grading the scale when I went to school, but it's the same, just that technology has come along way since then...... Wink
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I was eating lunch the other day, at a restaurant. There were a few 20-somethings in the booth behind me. None of them made a sound, but the ruckus coming from their phones was deafening. They were constantly texting. I am fairly sure, based on the few human sounds made, they were texting each other.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
iis612 Wrote:I was eating lunch the other day, at a restaurant. There were a few 20-somethings in the booth behind me. None of them made a sound, but the ruckus coming from their phones was deafening. They were constantly texting. I am fairly sure, based on the few human sounds made, they were texting each other.

When your plan gives you "unlimited" texting minutes, you have to use all that you can. It's just like going to a buffet, you want to be hungry when you get there, and you hate to leave anything behind since it's all-you-can eat for one price.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I have a few friends that insist that I should have Texting turned on (I have it blocked). I don't use the cell phone enough to even have it, but it is peace of mind for travelling. If I have to text to keep them as friends, it will be just like all my friends that I kept when I quit drinking 40 years ago. ( I have a friend that quit drinking years ago, and he too lost all of his "friends"). He keeps saying if he knew it was that easy to get rid of them he would have quit years before Misngth
IMHO some cell phone users are totally out of control.
Charlie
ezdays Wrote:technology has come along way since then...... Wink

The museum called, Don. They want their abacus back. Icon_lol

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
FiatFan Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:technology has come along way since then...... Wink

The museum called, Don. They want their abacus back. Icon_lol

Tom
I started off with counting stones. The abacus came later. Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
They can have my abacus, but I'm keeping my Slide Rule!!!!! Eek Goldth Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???