Kings Port to Selkirk (KV-7)
As I continue to try to find as much operating potential in my layout as possible, I've been wanting to run a long freight that supposedly originates from the fictional town of Kings Port (at Williams Yard) and runs North to Selkirk Yard. This train travels the length of the layout and then disappears in hidden track, ready to come out again later as another train if I want...or it can run continuously when I'm switching the carfloat, or in a mood to just watch trains go by.

I run DC and my roster is mostly Athearn BB locomotives. Longer trains have trouble with the grade going out of Kings Port with one loco for power, but double heading works well and they smoothly climb the hill. I've been lucky to find combinations of my locomotives that run at similar speeds. I hadn't tried today's consist before and was pleased to see how well they ran together.

U28C #6533, and a pair of GP38-2s are called from Kings Port's locomotive facilities to head KV-7
[Image: 004-13_zps45c51a29.jpg]

The units are backing up to the waiting freight cars so 6533 will eventually be the trailing loco of the three.
[Image: 006-9_zps2d96fbac.jpg]

The trio needs to be on the departure track to their right and will do a back and forth move to reach it.
[Image: 007-8_zps7b724fba.jpg]
[Image: 008-4_zpse6d1edf8.jpg]
[Image: 009-4_zps9af11ad7.jpg]

Now on the right track, it's a straight shot to the waiting train with the orange KP&W boxcar at the front end...
[Image: 010-6_zpsa6571ae3.jpg]

This move delays traffic at Ulster Ave...
[Image: 011-3_zps70d12a78.jpg]

After coupling up and going through air tests, KV-7 is officially a train headed out of town...
[Image: 014-2_zps38aa9584.jpg]

The head end passes by Williams Yard Tower as it leaves Kings Port...
[Image: 015-2_zpseccc64a6.jpg]

Movin' out!
[Image: 017-2_zpsb953be7c.jpg]
[Image: 018-2_zpsc16e51a1.jpg]
[Image: 019_zpsef2c835e.jpg]

The caboose of this long train is just approaching Ulster Ave now...
[Image: 016_zpse6e3a23f.jpg]

I'm definitely including this train on my developing sequence of operations!
Very nice , very impressive. Great pictures too. Cheers
Charlie
Cheers Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Ralph, for some reason the shot of the locos just before they picked up the train made me think,"He's put a prototype shot in here".
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I love any scene where we are looking at that converted passenger car and the commuter station.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Cheers Thumbsup

Cheers Cheers Thumbsup Worship
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Another beauty Ralph Thumbsup
Everything looks great!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I enjoyed that
Tim David