Extra 2212 Kings Port to Mayfield
Another train on my ops schedule. Extra 2212 runs from Kings Port to Mayfield Yard (a hidden staging track) on the branch line that splits off the main at West Mill.

The action starts at the locomotive yard in Kings Port. GP30 #2212 gets the call. Still in its Pennsy livery, and looking pretty darn sharp after a wash, 2212 rolls out of the engine facilities toward the waiting cars at the entrance to Williams Yard.
[Image: 002-23_zpsdcdff71d.jpg]

KP STEEL is visible in the background as 2212 runs in reverse.
[Image: 003-11_zps22eba661.jpg]

Stopping at the tower, #2212 gets its paperwork including this Form 19...
[Image: 005-15_zps286c6dca.jpg]
[Image: 004-13_zpsb5a5b68e.jpg]

After a little confab at the tower, 2212 continues on its way...
[Image: 006-9_zps36f07a1e.jpg]

...passes a maintenance shed made from a salvaged passenger car...
[Image: 007-8_zps04e90f99.jpg]

...and some other Penn Central power idling in "the pocket".
[Image: 009-4_zps483839d4.jpg]

#2212 takes the turnout to the right and we get our first view of the waiting cars that will soon comprise the Extra run.
[Image: 010-6_zpse92cc118.jpg]

That's it for now. More to come!
Hello Ralph---your excellent photos and stories from your layout remind me of one of my favourite railroad authors---Ian Wilson---who has written a series of books about the history of Canadian railroading during the 50's.Like Ian's books,your efforts have given life to the golden age of railroading---keep up the outstanding work---I look forward to your future "chapters" Cheers
Ralph, :hey: more more Pic !! Wink Thumbsup Popcornbeer Cheers

ps: great pic Wink
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Thanks guys! I really appreciate that! Thumbsup

Air is up, brakes are good, and a crew member has walked the length of the short train to check couplers. Extra 2212 is ready to depart.
[Image: 011-3_zps6086cdc2.jpg]

As the train pulls out of Williams Yard the caboose can be seen from the nearby Ready Mix plant.
[Image: 013-3_zps5555bf39.jpg]

Two views of the caboose at Ulster Ave. That heavily weathered Rock Island boxcar was a cheap $2.00 purchase at a flea market because of a poor weathering job. I added extra layers of dirt to make it look a little better, but it sure appears to have seen a few miles!
[Image: 015-2_zps778a442a.jpg]
[Image: 014-2_zps4e7416e7.jpg]

Meanwhile the head end passes the tower and the lift bridge over the river. Now it has to deal with the grade to Marion...
[Image: 016_zpsaeff799c.jpg]

Having achieved some altitude the Extra can be seen above Kings Port on the highline...
[Image: 017-2_zpsd17710c7.jpg]

That's it for now. More pics of Extra entering West Mill via the tunnel under GERN and taking the branch line to Mayfield to come soon. Thanks for checking in! Welcome
Ralph, PC is looking good to me too. My son was here earlier. He was modeling PC, but is in a lull. I think seeing your layout may have rekindled a fire. Thanks. He needs the diversion.

Once again a very professional presentation.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie! I always like hearing about other PC modelers so if your son does decide to get back into that that would be great! Thumbsup Hope all is well with him.
After having reached the summit at Marion the rest of the trip is downgrade to West Mill. Extra 2212 emerges from the tunnel under GERN Industries on the south end of town.
[Image: 020_zpsd6726389.jpg]
[Image: 021_zps9a0845cf.jpg]
[Image: 022_zps6eeaf877.jpg]

and reaches Empire Grain...
[Image: 024_zpsa65cbe1f.jpg]

...where the Mayfield Branch cuts off to the right....
[Image: 025_zpsd8ebe366.jpg]

...and the train goes "off layout"
[Image: 027_zps07b117dc.jpg]
[Image: 029_zps2fb8b362.jpg]
Ralph,
I can never get tired of your layout. I'm not a Penn Central fan and I'm transfixed.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Thanks Mike! Much appreciated.