Single Decoder in Bachmann Spectrum DDA40X?
I just picked up a pair of Super Detailed UP DDA40X's from Bachmann (SPectrum). I would like to add LED lights (including replacing the strobe on the roof). I was told I could put a single decoder in to run both motors in each unit, IF the motors only put out so many amps. I am an electrical IDIOT. I can barely change a household light bulb. I mean, I seriously SUCK at anything electrical, but I am good with directions, so, I am confident I can handle it with the assistance of the patient folks here at the Gauge. I know Deano has one of these, how did you install DCC in yours Deano? I would like to eventually do sound in them as well, has anyone ever attempted that?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Hi Tom.
I did a search on the web and found one photo of a Bachmann DDA40X. It did not say anything about Spectrum series so I don't know if what you have is the same as the photo I looked at. WOW!! This is a gaint locomotive. The photo I saw showed two motors in the locomotive.
Is this how yours looks?
If so I would think that you will want to use a deoder in each loco. Going to sound later? Might just as well do it now. You can run the two locos independent of each other or MU them with the use of DCC. Much better (IMO). Looks like there is a lots of room for decoder and a speaker- maybe two. speakers. DCC with sound would be the way to go. BTW do you know what type of prime mover these units used for power? Need to know that so you can get the corrrect decoder sounds. No need to do a DCC conversion and then turn around and install sound. Double the work and half the fun?
LEDs should not be a problem. Most decoders have provisions for mars light, ditch lights and rotory beacons ECT.
woodone Wrote:Hi Tom.
I did a search on the web and found one photo of a Bachmann DDA40X. It did not say anything about Spectrum series so I don't know if what you have is the same as the photo I looked at. WOW!! This is a gaint locomotive. The photo I saw showed two motors in the locomotive.
Is this how yours looks?
If so I would think that you will want to use a deoder in each loco. Going to sound later? Might just as well do it now. You can run the two locos independent of each other or MU them with the use of DCC. Much better (IMO). Looks like there is a lots of room for decoder and a speaker- maybe two. speakers. DCC with sound would be the way to go. BTW do you know what type of prime mover these units used for power? Need to know that so you can get the corrrect decoder sounds. No need to do a DCC conversion and then turn around and install sound. Double the work and half the fun?
LEDs should not be a problem. Most decoders have provisions for mars light, ditch lights and rotory beacons ECT.

Yeah, mine is the HO dual motor version, with flywheels. They have had the pilots front and rear closed in though so no hideous gapped tooth thing going on there anymore. I understand Bachmann had to "Bubba-ize" them making them look like a toothless redneck in the pilots, but I only have to worry about 38" radius curves, so no worries, pilots are closed in with KD #5's attached. The Prime movers on the prototypes are a pair of Turbocharged 645 EMD's on each chassis with P3 Nathan horns, so sound is no problemo to get it matched up. I'm just wondering if I can install one decoder (or sound decoder) to run two seperate motors on each locomotive. And is there going to be room for 2 speakers perhaps?? Maybe if I DO have to have 2 seperate decoders per DD40, if I can put a regular sound decoder in one end and another with flange squeal, brake sounds, radio chatter, compressor sounds, air spitters, etc. in the other end. I figure even with one sound decoder per DDA40X with TWO speakers (one front and rear), TIMES TWO!!, and a sound decoder in each of my four UP SD40-2's together, the train room is going to sound like standing in the middle of Stockton Diesel Shop in the early 80's with the roll up doors closed! Goldth

Here are some fo-toes of one of the two new Centennials and the SD40-2.

[album]506[/album]
[album]507[/album]
[album]508[/album]
[album]509[/album]
[album]510[/album]
[album]511[/album]
[album]512[/album]
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]