!!No more Testors, PolyScale or Floquil paint!!
Announced today

Dear Valued Partner,

I am writing to inform you about changes that are taking place at the
Testor Corporation. For over 80 years, we have provided premium paints and
finishing systems to the craft and hobby industry. Today, we announced that
we are transforming our business in order to more effectively address the
changing needs of our consumers and their interests.

We've made the decision to exit the following businesses within the Testor
Brand family - Pactra, Floquil, Polyscale, and ColorArtz. This will
enable the Testor Corporation to return to our foundation of success -
providing premium, innovative product that inspires creativity. We will
continue to accept orders and ship product for a limited time based on
available quantities.

Going forward, the following brands will be critical to our success and
development - Testor, Model Master, and Aztek. These brands will be
infused with marketing support, innovation and operational efficiencies.

In support of this, we have announced a consolidation of operations at our
Rockford facilities. Over the next several months we will provide updates
critical to your order and delivery needs as well as product availability.
We assure you there will be no disruption to service during this transition.

Our commitment to the Testor brand has never been stronger. By implementing
these changes, and the ability to leverage all of Rust-Oleum's world class
services, we are more strongly poised to take your business to the next
level through product and merchandising innovations, and increased customer
intimacy. Please contact me or your sales manager directly with any
questions.

We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

Kristin J. Schiro
Director of Sales & Marketing
That's something else. I guess they're yet another American company in trouble. I found this in the press:
Quote: ROCKFORD (WIFR) – Another Stateline manufacturer has been forced to consolidate.

The Testor Corporation says it will close one of its three Rockford locations and lay off workers. Testor makes craft products like paints and adhesives.

A spokeswoman says they plan on eliminating some of the brands that aren’t a core part of that market.

Such a pity, we're dropping you and everyone else in your hobby as customers, but, "thank you for your business"... Icon_lol Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Icon_twisted And after the microphone was turned off, the CEO said " Let them eat cake ", and decided to run for political office !! :o Wink 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
When cheap chuck looks at a 1/4 oz bottle of paint I shudder. $2 is a good price, which is only 8 bucks an oz, or $1024 a gallon. Many times I have substituted a Rustoleum color and had good results and you can buy 8 oz cans for less than 4 bucks. It sprays well with an airbrush too.
I like Floquil paint, but I always have to put a gloss coat on before decals, and dull coat later. I will probably get better results making my on PRR locomotive black from gloss Rustoleum when I need it.
I am sure there are a lot of environmental concerns with the paint end of their business too that add to the costs.
We used a lot of Testor's paint when we were kids building models of trains, Ships, cars and airplanes. I don't think this generation is into that.
Times is a changin.
Charlie
Well,the sky isn't about to fall but,it may sure enough have large cracks..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trucolorpaint.com/">http://www.trucolorpaint.com/</a><!-- m -->

Since I don't like Scalecoat I & II or Model Master paints I will try True Colors or Badger.

Another era has ended.. :cry:
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I love announcements like that, where the only thing missing is the commitment to the customers. Icon_lol

Ah, well...someone else will step in and fill the gap, because where there is a market, there will always be someone who wants to make a living. Only serious question is how long it will take for the new products to take over from the old products.

What this really does is point out the serious problems caused by too many brand names under one manufacturer. Centralization is NOT a good thing.
Wallbang

I ceartainly hope someone steps in and buys the floquil line.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Supposedly many of the colors will be carried on in Testors new CreateFX line. Found this on Testors Facebook page:

Many of you have expressed disappointment regarding our decision to exit Floquil and Polyscale. Decisions such as these are never easy. Trends in model railroading have changed over time.
Creating product for weathering and scenery has been more of the focus as train cars have moved to pre-decorated. The good news is that the same great products for weathering and scenery can be found in Testor's CreateFX line that is available now.
Please check your local hobby shop or <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.testors.com">www.testors.com</a><!-- w --> and search CreateFX for information regarding this product line.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
I seriously doubt that they will sell the Floquil line of paints, as it would just add to their competition. I’m sure that they are hoping that everyone will move over to one of their other brands of paint rather than seek out alternatives.

Mark
As for paint for weathering and scenery I have had good results with the Plaid line of craft paint. It is a water based acrylic. I don't like water based paints, but I am determined to learn how to use them. That is the future of model painting. The price is quite reasonable too. I bought some in gloss by accident so I will have to play with it to see what it can do.
Charlie
Well I don't use any of those brands and I don't even own an airbrush so I really don't care what they do ! Icon_lol

Rustoleum? Really guys? Are you really worried about your plastic or wood or resin parts rusting? Eek It costs twice as much and takes twice as long to dry and has nowhere near the amount of color choices as the house brands at Ace or your local auto parts house or the good ol' stand-by, Krylon.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Well I don't use any of those brands and I don't even own an airbrush so I really don't care what they do ! Icon_lol

Rustoleum? Really guys? Are you really worried about your plastic or wood or resin parts rusting? Eek It costs twice as much and takes twice as long to dry and has nowhere near the amount of color choices as the house brands at Ace or your local auto parts house or the good ol' stand-by, Krylon.

I see your point, I think I might have bought one or two jars a very long time ago, somehow the small amount they put in them for the price you pay just didn't seem at all economical to me. Nope Plus I get paranoid just thinking about spilling any. :o I usually use acrylics, I've used a rattle can on occasions, and I even did some airbrushing with acrylics. I can usually mix the colors to get what I want, and if they aren't exactly "grimmy black" or "BNSF yellow", so be it. :|

My only concern in this is that they are closing a plant and laying off people. Maybe the additional business that the other companies get will make up the difference. :? I surely hope so, we are loosing far too many jobs these past few years.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Yeah, well, being on a near non-existent income I'm a natural cheapskate. Many of the paints I use are latex and satin house paints that I filter through a tea strainer lined with a piece of cheap paper towel to remove the lumps and chunks. Almost all of them are Valspar and Olympic mis-tints in 7.25oz cans. I pick them up for 75¢ to $1 each. Some, like the rust colors I use I have mixed. It costs a bit more but for the amount I'm getting it's like getting twenty-nine 1/4oz bottles for just a few bucks. And what's crazy about that?
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
One thing I try not to do is put a dollar amount on the hobby especially paint and KD couplers.Two needed evils in the hobby.

Anyway I will missed my favorite paints and IMHO will be force to buy paints I know very little about such as Badger and True Color.

My thoughts:

I will not reward Testors by buying Model Master paints and mixing colors to get a railroad color they once offered. Nope

They should count their selves lucky since I will still be buying their glue..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Have any of you considered that this may be a hoax?

In fact, I just visited the Testors website and didn't find any info on their closing out Floquil paints.