Sorry I just had to do this.
The curious thing about government: Yes, butget cuts caused them to turn off the light. But, budget cuts also slowed things down (as alwways), including the speed of light. So, even though the light was turned off, we won't actually see that it has been turned off for a few more years!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
You won't see it at all. The position of the Watcher of the Light was terminated last month, and the tunnel will close forever next week. 8-)
ezdays Wrote:Wait a minute, what's a conductor gunna do with a ladder? Sheesh.... 35 35

Nope Nope What's the fireman !! :o I Don't know is the Conductor
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Leater Perry Wrote:I thought this was about the light at the end of the tunnel

"The tunnel"--------------------------------------Light

OK ?
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lester Perry Wrote:Wait a minute, who said we need a latter. It might be a lantern on the ground. Oops this one is loaded

But, none the less, a "well grounded" "load"... Icon_lol Icon_lol Big Grin
nachoman Wrote:The curious thing about government: Yes, butget cuts caused them to turn off the light. But, budget cuts also slowed things down (as alwways), including the speed of light. So, even though the light was turned off, we won't actually see that it has been turned off for a few more years!

Are you saying that the tunnel is actually more than a few Light Years long??? Eek

That's well more than 200 Million Miles!!!! Eek Goldth Of course, that depends on "how much" they slowed it down Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:Are you saying that the tunnel is actually more than a few Light Years long??? Eek

That's well more than 200 Million Miles!!!! Eek Goldth Of course, that depends on "how much" they slowed it down Smile

Hey, remember sequester... yeah, I'm sure you do Icon_lol , but the light is turned off one day every two weeks, and so you might be looking at yesterday's or even last week's light. :o
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Hey, remember sequester... yeah, I'm sure you do Icon_lol , but the light is turned off one day every two weeks, and so you might be looking at yesterday's or even last week's light. :o

Just like my Paycheck!!!! Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang Shoot
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ezdays Wrote:Hey, remember sequester... yeah, I'm sure you do Icon_lol , but the light is turned off one day every two weeks, and so you might be looking at yesterday's or even last week's light. :o

Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang RE_RUNS ??!! :o Eek Eek :o Eek Eek :o Icon_twisted
It always boggles my mind when I hear something like, "we just discovered a new heavenly body, it's about two billion, 750 millon light years away in the first sector of the Alpha Quadrant". :ugeek: First of all, how do they know how far away it is? It should take over four billion years to send a signal there and back to really be accurate. The other thing is that if the light from that "heavenly body" from the Alpha Quadrant, took two billion, 750 million years to reach earth, how do they know that it's still there? :?: :?: It could have super-novaed (don't look this up) two billion years ago and we'll never know if for a long time. Nope

Another question that haunts me is that, how do they know that there are black holes out there when they are black? Isn't the rest of the visible universe that they're in also black?

As we used to say, "inquiring minds want to know". Once we know this, we can then solve the light at the end of the tunnel thingy... Icon_lol

In the meantime, NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Icon_lol It's all very scientific!! Big Grin Big Grin The speed has to do with Light shifting (There's that "light" thing again) and they can tell how far away by triangulation - They take a picture, then 6 months later take another picture when the Earth is on the opposit side of the sun..

As far as black holes, they detect them by the "bending of Light" behind them - Geeze "light" again!!!!! Big Grin

And finally - what truly boggles my mind is whatever program(s) they are using to predict "where" a planet and it's moons are going to be years from now... Smile They Very Accurately predict when the next 50 to 100 Lunar and Solar Eclipses will be.... and they STILL can't predict the weather Here On Earth!!!!! Eek Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth

Remember - The Apollo Missions?????? They launched THREE Days before they went into Lunar Insertion Orbit.. When they launched - The Moon was literally Thousands of miles behind where they were heading. The ship had to fly toward empty space and like an arrow "leading a target" they had to hope (and Pray) that the computer was right!!!!!

By the time they got within a few thousand miles of the Moon - It was right where the computer said it would be! Eek ..... and they did it Seven times too!!!

It's the same thing with the International Space Station... They lead and chase it to dock with it - Absolutely amazing!!!!!!

So, with all that in mind.... I wonder if the tunnel is a wormhole??? and the light is actually in another galaxy or another dimension, which would be a perfectly good reason for the Government to want to extinguish it, since "they" might not want "us" to find "them".................... Eek Nope Nope Nope
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Kinda like shooting trap, skeet or enemy planes. Lead the target.... Goldth

Still, I have a hard time buying into the concept for something that is so far away that it takes thousands or millions of years for its light to hit the earth, by then it could have moved to Beta Quadrant, sector four, or have completely gone south. Smile
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Yeah - that's the fun in Astronomy... What you are looking at - is most likely gone and all you are "seeing" is the light feed that left there before it super-novaed or was swallowed by a black hole.

And they have seen some stars go nova... But then they always say something like this:
Well we just saw the star go Nova, but since it was 3000 light years away - it actually collapsed 3000 years ago....

Yeah, very confusing.. I always picture light from stars (and planets) like a LASER beam shot from a gun - a straight line

That light travels like a bullet in a straight line, so the light that left the star shot out and just arrived on earth, so we could "see" it.... Even though the star (gun) is gone, the light still travels......
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Yeah - that's the fun in Astronomy... What you are looking at - is most likely gone and all you are "seeing" is the light feed that left there before it super-novaed or was swallowed by a black hole.

And they have seen some stars go nova... But then they always say something like this:
Well we just saw the star go Nova, but since it was 3000 light years away - it actually collapsed 3000 years ago....

Yeah, very confusing.. I always picture light from stars (and planets) like a LASER beam shot from a gun - a straight line

That light travels like a bullet in a straight line, so the light that left the star shot out and just arrived on earth, so we could "see" it.... Even though the star (gun) is gone, the light still travels......

Yup, that's my point. I have problems seeing things down at the end of the hallway. 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ngauger Wrote:That light travels like a bullet in a straight line, so the light that left the star shot out and just arrived on earth, so we could "see" it.... Even though the star (gun) is gone, the light still travels......

Is this also what happens to the light when you turn off the light switch?

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)