A bridge to fit my needs
I am trying to 'fit' a bridge into an area where two tracks will cross each other. One track will pass under the other at an angle of about 30 dgrees (give ot take). Now, I have been looking for an appropriate bridge to carry the upper track. I have found many nice bridges in the Walthers book but not one of them is designed as an offset structure. Every single one of them is 'square' at the ends. I would like a single track through truss bridge, about 18 - 20" long, which sits on the abuttments at an angle. Does anyone out there know of a bridge like this? I may have to kit bash one if I can't find something already designed this way. The other option would be to pass under through tunnel. This may not sound prototypical but I know of several spots east of Pittsburgh, PA, where the PRR did exactly that. Instead of a bridge and it's maintance problems they just built a stone arch or concrete tunnel for the track and filled in above it for the main line to cross 10 feet above. This will work, but I like bridges. If any one has any ideas I would love to hear 'em!

Thanks, and sdtay warm!

Kevin
I think that the walthers Thru truss bridge has the option of an angled set-up

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2948

Ive never built one of these before, but ive read that they are easily combined with more kits to make them longer..... Dont quote me on the angled set-up thing, but i seem to remember seeing a picture of the Walthers Bridge set-up as an angled bridge on some hobby retail site or maybe it was in one of the Walthers Reference Books? Im not sure, but if not, kitbashing the Walthers kit should be pretty easy....

Walthers also sells expansion packs for the kit as well
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Hi... I had a similar situation as you do....But I "squared" the footings to the bridge even though the line below is at an angle to it. It's a Central Valley kit....
Take a look how it turned out....

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
Thanks for the input guys. Steamtrain, that's exactly what I'm looking at. How long is the bridge? I figure I need about 18 - 20 inches. This bridge looks like about right. I'll have to look for one. Thanks,

KT
At first i thought that Gus's bridge waa the Walthers cornerstone Single Track Truss Bridge, but then comparing the pictures to my Walthers Single Track Truss Bridge, i see it isnt. Im not sure what Gus's is....

I do have the Single Track Truss Bridge for sale with the bridge track cut to the right length if your interested? It is completely built up and assembled and painted a rust primer color.

Here is the link to the Bridge i have on the Walthers Web site. It has sufficient clearance height to fit double stacks as well.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3185

If your interested, i can provide some pics of the bridge i have....
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Hi...My bridge is a 21" Central Valley kit....It's kinda' pain to build, but well worth the effort. Hope this helps...
Gus (LC&P).
I spent the better part of the day test fitting track and other things on my layout and found I had another problem. Of course on paper everything lines up. When I laid out everything using flextrack and pins I found that if I cross the two tracks like I had wanted to then I don't have sufficent room to swing back around to connect the lower track where I planned. Eek I tried several different variations but the curve radius was far too sharp. I cleared everything away and started over. I finally found that if I forget the crossover and run the lower track on the outside edge of the table I can make the connection as planned. This arrangement also made a little more room where I plan to locate a coal loader. AND, I found a little space for a small siding and a tiny business!

Trucklover, thanks for the offer on the bridge but I guess I'll have to pass. I really wanted a nice bridge for this but I have learned to compromise over the years. The new plan will be a little less difficult to build and will actually be better. I loose the bridge but gain: 1) a wider curve, 2) more room for the coal loader and 3) a small siding.

Thanks guys,

KT
Steamtrains Wrote:Hi...My bridge is a 21" Central Valley kit....It's kinda' pain to build, but well worth the effort. Hope this helps...

Central Valley ehhh, Nice, i really like it Thumbsup Thumbsup

RailCop Wrote:Trucklover, thanks for the offer on the bridge but I guess I'll have to pass. I really wanted a nice bridge for this but I have learned to compromise over the years. The new plan will be a little less difficult to build and will actually be better. I loose the bridge but gain: 1) a wider curve, 2) more room for the coal loader and 3) a small siding.

No Problem KT, glad you figured out something that will work Thumbsup Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
The wooden truss bridges are very easy to modify for added length, you just need the one kit and the added material.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada