NYNJ Rail tips
Hello friends
I'm from Brazil and will be visiting New York City with my wife for the second time in january 2014
This time I'm planning to try some railfanning around Brooklyn in the NYNJRAIL specially around area on Bush terminal along 1st Avenue
Does anyone can give some tips regarding train and switching frequency on the area? Also is the area safe during daylight time?
Thanks a lot for any helping
Greetings from Brazil Tongue
Ricardo
I grew up in the area and I still live nearby. Photographic opportunities are tough since post Sandy operations are pretty much limited to the yard next to the Owls Head Sewage Treatment Plant. The 1st Avenue yard is not in the best of shape. I can recommend the overpass at 2nd Avenue and 65th Street for shots, but make sure that you let them know so that you don't get bothered by the NYPD.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Thanks for helping Mike
I'd love to see any pics you manage to take. Presumably the 1st avenue yard is photographable from 1st Avenue at least?
It would be interesting to see pics of the link running alongside 38th street too
Tim David
I will post pics here once I got them

Yes checked on Google street view and the yard is entre visible from 1st Avenue but I will also check the overpass mentioned by Mike. It seens to be a better spot these days.

Tks