Google Doodle 5 Nov 2013
Google has this doodle up today to celebrate Raymond Lowey's birthday.

For those who may not know, he created some of the most beautiful streamlined steam locomotives and trains for passenger service during railways' "Golden Age".

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

That is amazing. I'm not sure just how many people will interpret that correctly, but it is a nice tribute.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The carbodies on the LIRR H16-44's were a Raymond Lowey design.

Ezdays wrote: "I'm not sure just how many people will interpret that correctly"
Don, Wink Wink are you hinting that Raymond Lowey "designed"- - - - - - GOOGLE Eek Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

That representation of the word google, as a futuristic vehicle, is quite Lowey-ist !.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Art Deco was the Golden Age of railway and architectural design in America.
MountainMan Wrote:Art Deco was the Golden Age of railway and architectural design in America.
Cheers

As for the picture, it looks like a cross between a steam locomotive and a Tron cycle.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Sumpter250 Wrote:The carbodies on the LIRR H16-44's were a Raymond Lowey design.

Ezdays wrote: "I'm not sure just how many people will interpret that correctly"
Don, Wink Wink are you hinting that Raymond Lowey "designed"- - - - - - GOOGLE Eek Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

That representation of the word google, as a futuristic vehicle, is quite Lowey-ist !.

What I was trying to say is that most people looking at wouldn't be able to relate to what it was representing. Let's face it, a good portion of our population never saw a train like this. Some might be so young and have only seen a train in schoolbooks, in a movie, or on TV.... To me, they are a thing of beauty and more modern than anything today. Back then they could add cost to make things look good, today, it's cut the costs at the expense of appearance.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
People also forget that he designed logos such as Shell, Exxon, Studebaker, The Coast Guard Stripe logo, the Air Force One logo, Studebaker cars (the tires in the logo), Hupmobiles, Fairbanks Morse Diesel Locomotives, Baldwin Diesel Locomotives, refrigerators, mimeograph machines, cutlery, and more things than this post can fit.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.