Posing another question about the hobby.
I had a close friend that had a large(to my 6 year old mind) 4x12 foot Lionel layout in his basement..I can remember my other friend Paul(he also had a Lionel set-remember this was the mid 50s)but,can't recall the other kids name and we was like the 3 musketeers.We would run trains on my friends layout and use our cowboys for outlaws (James/Younger Gang or the Dalton gang) and Texas Rangers.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Childhood - that magical period when we could people our world entirely with figures from our imagination, and it was real to us when we did it. Smile
MountainMan Wrote:Childhood - that magical period when we could people our world entirely with figures from our imagination, and it was real to us when we did it. Smile

Man, what does that say about ME? I still do that...

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
deckroid Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Childhood - that magical period when we could people our world entirely with figures from our imagination, and it was real to us when we did it. Smile

Man, what does that say about ME? I still do that...

George

I doubt that you're alone. Wink Misngth My layout is populated by mostly imaginary people (Preiser is nice, but can be expensive), existing in a world where both history and geography have been altered to suit my purposes - almost sounds like the Twilght Zone! Eek

Wayne
Quote:Childhood - that magical period when we could people our world entirely with figures from our imagination, and it was real to us when we did it.

...and I am thankful for the blessing of having so much of that remain with me through all these years. I'll risk stating that "childhood" is the heart and soul of this enduring hobby, and it is the "child" in all of us that makes it so.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The British tradition of ordaining vicars that are members of the Steam Train Appreciation Society held well in my little country village in Sussex. His son was about my age and with lots of encouragement and help from Dad (Well he only worked on Sundays) built a layout that spanned 2 large bedrooms in the vicarage. Triang OO same as mine, which lived in a box.

Yup, I found religion.

Tony.
How did they come up with a tradition like that?
Hello MM,

Sorry a bit of a Brit insider joke.

The relationship between British vicars and Steam engines goes back a long way. The Rev.W.V. Audry would be the most famous (Thomas the Tank Engine) but you will find the title Rev. attached to the names on many historic photographs, documentary tomes, childrens books and Railway Preservation Society memberships.

Although there have been many an hypothesis on this relationship I believe that unlike the celibate Catholic Priest a married Protestant Vicar is not going to get away with sitting around the house all week being holy.

Tony.
I see. Thanks for that info! The only Vicar I knew in Lyme Regis didn't have a model train! Of course, he was Church of England... 8-)